Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guinness extra stout longneck, 'traditionally brewed'.
BUL in Au and pretty rough and ready - very tobacco-ey. Still a far cry from the watery black shit in the cans.

Does taste a bit syrupy though and not something I'm in a hurry to repeat. Got a coopers extra for comparison unless I go straight to petrus dubbel bruin or piraat tripel hop.

Thankyou ibc (for the piraat and petrus, not the stouts*)

*although hel & verdoemenis was included in the month's sixer so maybe I can do stout all the way.

No actual pics but really enjoyed a few Leffe Blondes the other day in the Belgium Cafe Adelaide. Four big glasses and i was anyones. Delicious drop.

Leffe-glond-glass256x256.png

SIERRA NEVADA PALE ALE
third time i've sampled and yes i finally got i think a nice drop bought a six pack then went back and bought a carton very nice

Two Birds ALTimatum... wow very nice. Maybe a bit too much crystal flavour in there and not enough Spalt character. But still super easy drinking and fantastic colour!

About half of tonight's menu, following a last minute trip to Beer Cartel. We would have probably bought more stuff, but they were closing...

Riverside_777.jpg
Solid Double IPA. A bit on the sweet side, lots aroma and sweetness, but a bit heavy going after half a bottle.

Superconductor.jpg
Good, balanced IPA. Well executed.

Weed.jpg
Big exciting beer. Loads of aroma and it has pleasantly changed as it warmed up. I only had half a bottle, but it would have been very easy to explore the full gamut of changes that a full bottle would have delivered over a longer period of time. Probably the highlight of the evening.

Kaiju.jpg
Big hops, but backed by just enough malt. Again, a very nice beer to enjoy slowly. We had this with some Korean BBQ that was quite intense in flavour, but this beer managed to dominate on every sip. It ended up being an excellent choice to go with the meal.

Nomad.jpg
Complex, interesting, to the point of confusing. All the ingredients were nicely balanced and there was no single dominating flavour. The orange was subtle and as the beer warmed up, it kept on appearing and disappearing between sips. We had this with an excellent tiramisu and the beer was robust enough to cut through the intense flavours, yet subtle enough to introduce it's own layers of complexity. My guess would be that this is a beer that's challenging on it's own, but when paired with rich food, it shines.

Duvel.jpg
Big disappointment. The beer had hot alcohol flavours and offensive acetaldehyde flavours, ranging from green to rotten apples and bordering on paint stripper. The finish was almost vinegary. The date code on the bottle was 10 2017. I'll make the assumption that it was bottled in October 2016 and that it may cleanup a bit if I age the second bottle. The plan is to crack the second bottle mid-January. I'm hoping it will improve by then, because at this stage, if this was my own homebrew I'd be seriously thinking about tipping it out.

At TGI Friday's for lunch today with the wife and kid. Red hook, long hammer IPA.
Nice drop actually, resiny, grassy easy malt flavour

1480214130324.jpg

peteru said:
About half of tonight's menu, following a last minute trip to Beer Cartel. We would have probably bought more stuff, but they were closing...

attachicon.gif
Riverside_777.jpg
Solid Double IPA. A bit on the sweet side, lots aroma and sweetness, but a bit heavy going after half a bottle.

attachicon.gif
Superconductor.jpg
Good, balanced IPA. Well executed.

attachicon.gif
Weed.jpg
Big exciting beer. Loads of aroma and it has pleasantly changed as it warmed up. I only had half a bottle, but it would have been very easy to explore the full gamut of changes that a full bottle would have delivered over a longer period of time. Probably the highlight of the evening.

attachicon.gif
Kaiju.jpg
Big hops, but backed by just enough malt. Again, a very nice beer to enjoy slowly. We had this with some Korean BBQ that was quite intense in flavour, but this beer managed to dominate on every sip. It ended up being an excellent choice to go with the meal.

attachicon.gif
Nomad.jpg
Complex, interesting, to the point of confusing. All the ingredients were nicely balanced and there was no single dominating flavour. The orange was subtle and as the beer warmed up, it kept on appearing and disappearing between sips. We had this with an excellent tiramisu and the beer was robust enough to cut through the intense flavours, yet subtle enough to introduce it's own layers of complexity. My guess would be that this is a beer that's challenging on it's own, but when paired with rich food, it shines.

attachicon.gif
Duvel.jpg
Big disappointment. The beer had hot alcohol flavours and offensive acetaldehyde flavours, ranging from green to rotten apples and bordering on paint stripper. The finish was almost vinegary. The date code on the bottle was 10 2017. I'll make the assumption that it was bottled in October 2016 and that it may cleanup a bit if I age the second bottle. The plan is to crack the second bottle mid-January. I'm hoping it will improve by then, because at this stage, if this was my own homebrew I'd be seriously thinking about tipping it out.
I've had that duvel before and while I find duvel proper akin to a timtam (ie: perfect - don't **** with it), I found that one much more enjoyable than the triple hop with mosaic I had a couple of years ago. Certainly no acetaldehyde or hot flavours in either.

Many variations in batches, bottles and palates make experiences likewise I guess. I've read about rochefort 10 being a hot boozy mess on ratebeer.com so anything and everything is possible. Rochefort 10 is near 10 for me

was in BWS they had Endeavour Discovery 4 pack for $10.4 different beers with combination's of Vic Secret,galaxy,helga,ella hops.

Re the Duvel
Sounds to me more like damage, first guess would be heat, who is the importer? (should be on a sticker)
I would be reluctant to spend the $10 a bottle that a lot of sellers are asking for mishandled beer, the best importers are shipping cold and you can really tell.
Mark

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1480235326.557776.jpg
Not sure about this one. Not very carbonated. Tastes a bit tangy.
I bought one for my Dad which he drank a month ago. He didn't like it.

Not sure if I just don't like it or if the flavours are just so strange I'm not understanding it properly.
I smell sweetness so, so far still sipping and contemplating. The sweet smell reminds me of port. Taste is like apple juice with something else unknown.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1480237269.842643.jpg
Yum.
Looks like I'm having a session.
If I drink more, I'll post another night.

I got two months of random craft beer purchases in fridge right now. [emoji14]

See my description of Pernicious Weed a bit further up the page:

Re the Triple Hop Duvel,

I've had a number of the previous vintages of the Triple Hop before and it has always been as good as normal Duvel or better.

I checked the bottle and there is no importer sticker. The bottle itself has labelling that appears to be for Euro market. It was not on the shelf at Beer Cartel. I asked for it and they went out the back to find me a couple of bottles. I'm not sure if Beer Cartel import it themselves. When the bottles came from the warehouse, they were at room temperature - I'd say in the 25C range.

MHB said:
Re the Duvel
Sounds to me more like damage, first guess would be heat, who is the importer? (should be on a sticker)
I would be reluctant to spend the $10 a bottle that a lot of sellers are asking for mishandled beer, the best importers are shipping cold and you can really tell.
Mark
We are importing the Duvel Triple Hop, along with the other brands under the Duvel-Moortgardt label. We being Beer Importers and Distributors.

These are not cold shipped but they should hold up well regardless. Don't get me wrong I'm all for cold storage of beers but the Belgians do it a little bit differently. For example, the standard process for Duvel see's the beer being bottle conditioned in a reasonably hot environment. Plus the production process takes 3 months before it leave the brewery..

I have tasted the difference and don't agree!
No beer really improves in transit, shove it in a steel box and move it back and forward across the equator a couple of times at it travels halfway around the planet and you aren't doing it any favours.
Times are changing if you are going to sell imported premium beer, it's time to start treating it the way it deserves - if you wont others will.
Mark

Latest posts

Back