Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I've ran out of kegged beer for a reason that shouldn't have happened. But that's another story. Only got wheat beer in bottles and it's too cold for that.
So it's bourbon and ginger beer lol. Not bad actually .
Won't bore you with photos haha. This post is probly boring enough.

Spiesy said:
Founder's Porter... wow. Such as awesome beer. Beautifully smooth, restrained roast (for a porter), deep, with some bitterness.

I'm worried that the Robust Porter I just put on to ferment isn't going to have the roastiness that this displays.

Next time, Gadget: recipe
I woke up this morning thinking about this beer. Sooooo good.

Smooth chocolate and blacker than black.
Nice beer.

20140629_172505.jpg

Quiet Friday night. Picked up a couple of each of these. Nothing special to most of the long term alcoholics in these parts.

I really shouldn't have picked up the Jimmy S. But the hops looked refreshing after a never ending list of beers showcasing cascade.

tonights.jpg

Initial tasting was a bit disappointing. The hops are a pretty good effort, but I'm finding it thin, watery and despite a beautiful copper colour... I can't taste any malt or caramel flavour at all.

Hopefully the Lord Nelson offering is better.

Edit:

Tasting the Lord Nelson now.. Well worth the pickup.

GuyQLD said:
Quiet Friday night. Picked up a couple of each of these. Nothing special to most of the long term alcoholics in these parts.

I really shouldn't have picked up the Jimmy S. But the hops looked refreshing after a never ending list of beers showcasing cascade.

attachicon.gif
tonights.jpg

Initial tasting was a bit disappointing. The hops are a pretty good effort, but I'm finding it thin, watery and despite a beautiful copper colour... I can't taste any malt or caramel flavour at all.
I got sample bottle of the hop thief 6 a few days before it went on sale. I found basically the opposite, the crystal malts completely overpowered the hops.

LC rogers at room temp.

Man, this beer never ceases to amaze.

I'm gummed up with flu and can barely taste or smell a thing. This beer at room temp however punches it's way through. Beautiful malt and floral hops.

A selection of beers sampled during my recent trip to Europe.
My favourites were Westmalle Trappist of the Belgians, and Schumacher Alt of the Germans.
Also a shot of the exterior of Schumacher Brauerei, and the wooden barrel from which it is served.

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2602.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

IMG_2710.jpg

practicalfool said:
practicalfool, on 05 Jul 2014 - 2:36 PM, said:

LC rogers at room temp.

Man, this beer never ceases to amaze.

I'm gummed up with flu and can barely taste or smell a thing. This beer at room temp however punches it's way through. Beautiful malt and floral hops.
It's a pretty good beer. One of my go to buys when stocks are low.

Donske said:
I got sample bottle of the hop thief 6 a few days before it went on sale. I found basically the opposite, the crystal malts completely overpowered the hops.
Hmm, I let it warm up a bit and it improved somewhat. I also felt that they've totally over carbonated this beer, I used my wooden skewer trick to knock some CO2 out of solution and it improved significantly to the point I could taste the malt. I still felt it was lacking in body though. Very watery.

I really don't know who it would appeal to; maybe some hipster who wants his megaswilling mates to think he's into craft beer?

Currently drooling at warra's post.
Also +1 for Rogers. Solid malty & plenty of hops all packaged up in a responsible mid-strength.

I'm sipping on this and can't recommend it enough. Heaps of cracked pepper on the nose, roasty and slightly smoked malt body. Such a great beer.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1404614871.520798.jpg

Sierra Nevada torpedo.

I'm not rating it, it's strong at 7.2 but is lacking any fruitiness, yes there are plenty of hops but it's about on parr with San Fran steam for me. Also drank a hop bomb today, maybe a bit too much hops from the bottle and didn't get much aroma but will re purchase to glass it.

Innis and Gunn, Smokin' Gunnnnnn Scotch Ale.

Oaky vanillaryness which is nice, though no bourbon flavour from the barrel's previous life.

There is an oak-smoked dimension involved, which might be masking the bourbon. Why bother including two very similar facets, oak smoke AND oak bourbon barrel maturing? They do a few bourbon barrel beers, maybe the barrels are getting a bit long in the tooth? Anyway...

Very deceptive 7.4abv. I know Scotches are strong, but I'd have guessed it was 6% ish. It feels like I'm on the 3rd pint, not the 2nd half of a bottle.

There is a golden syrup flavour present, which is nice. Could be the malt or possibly from some simple sugars included to lighten the body...in a caramelized form. I'm not too familiar with the style/recipes.

Unfortunately, there's a thin, saccharine sugar aftertaste which I hate. Reminds me of diet Coke.

It's ok overall.

20140710_163650.jpg

I love Le Tour and last nights stage was awesome! The stage finished in Lille. Which is half way between Dupont brewery and 3 monts.
dupont to 3 monts map.jpg
So tonight I stopped at my local and lo and behold...
IMAG0897.jpg
Awesome beers to share tonight .

yeah but wish they didnt bottle in green glass - the last few bottles ive had have been burnt rubber-ised

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1405051614.146787.jpg
Long lunch with a Two Birds Sunset Ale. Just a damn solid beer. Balanced, great with or without food, good body. I've bought it many times but only today came to the decision. Love it.

Latest posts

Back