Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had an Old Speckled Hen and a Taylors Landlord last night. Very nice change from my hop forward beers and has me thinking about how to do a malt forward style.

What dry yeast would i use for something like that? I have Nottingham?

punkin said:
Had an Old Speckled Hen and a Taylors Landlord last night. Very nice change from my hop forward beers and has me thinking about how to do a malt forward style.

What dry yeast would i use for something like that? I have Nottingham?
The recipe DB has a couple of Landlord clone recipes & the link below is for a OSH recipe by a very well regarded home brewer from the UK. This uses Notto, but I wonder it that's not a bit clean for this beer? I did attempt the extract version for my second ever brew & fucked it up spectacularly as my bittering hops had a much higher AA%.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f64/old-speckled-hen-21132/

You've got to really ferment Notto at the top end of its recommended temp range - maybe even a degree or two higher. Otherwise it's too clean.

So clean, in fact, that at its lowest end, it does excellent as a faux-lager yeast. I have used it as this a few times.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
You've got to really ferment Notto at the top end of its recommended temp range - maybe even a degree or two higher. Otherwise it's too clean.

So clean, in fact, that at its lowest end, it does excellent as a faux-lager yeast. I have used it as this a few times.
I find Notto goes completely out of control if not fermented right at the bottom end, I mean epic yeast explosion.

That's with a Porter/Stout though so maybe it's a bit different with a lighter beer.

{edit: speeling}

Parks said:
I find Notto goes completely out of control if not fermented right at the bottom end, I mean epic yeast explosion.

That's with a Porter/Stout though so maybe it's a bit different with a lighter beer.

{edit: speeling}
Yep, I used it at 18 degrees once. Not particularly estery, but hell yeah - massive krausen and a bit like my lovemaking, it's finished pretty quick.

2v9ejyv.jpg

How is the brown ale DU99?
I will be getting into some of the Brooklyn offerings this Fri. Can't wait :)

5.6% very tasty.reminds me of a porter.very tasty..also tried MPB Brown ale also another nice beer,nice chocolate tones

Northside, did you find the Rogue Yellow Snow extremely bitter? It was my first beer from Rogue and I was really looking forward to it. But it was way too bitter for my tastes. I Didn't enjoy it at all.

Yes it was fairly bitter , I did really enjoy it but my palate my have been compromised slightly by the time I tried it .

Rodenbach Grand Cru @ the Scratch.
rodenbach.JPG
Loverly stuff on a lazy Sunday arvo.

kinda feels like the wrong time of year to drink it being so cold, but my wife picked it up on a hunter wine trip so couldn't say no.

apple truck cider from barrington tops. lovely little bite to it.
apple truck cider.JPG

awall said:
Northside, did you find the Rogue Yellow Snow extremely bitter? It was my first beer from Rogue and I was really looking forward to it. But it was way too bitter for my tastes. I Didn't enjoy it at all.
I had a bottle about a month ago. I thought the bitterness was harsh, dominated by grapefruit.

Farmhouse ipa from flying dog 7.5
image.jpg
Absolutely delightful ! Can't notice the higher alc at all .
Am in a creamy funky place with a lovely hoppy ambiance and a Belgian flag drifting in the breeze .
And a great label too
image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg
Shmalts brewing company Messiah nut brown ale 5.2%
Am always impressed by these guys , and again they delivered !
Very smooth and balanced and clean with a great mouth feel They do the conney island stuff which is a+ but their Hebrew brews are something else hinting on perfection .

went to local BWS and got these at a reduced price.they are in date,BWS are deleting them,got 4 ballast point's @$6 each
2vkyp35.jpg

Trying the Black Giraffe..
1t0svp.jpg

can recommend,going back tomorrow to get some more

Latest posts

Back