Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a 6 pack of Stoke Dark from Dans. It's not rocking my world. Bit thin for me. Wont buy again.

Knee Deep Simtra. Awesome beer to have shared at the end of a droughtbreaking brew day. Wish I could get more but they are out of reach and at $30+ the missus would kill me and blame the foreign speaking neighbours!

IMG_0942_zps68de88ce.jpg

Tocalmatto B Space Invader Black IPA.

Way overcarbed from the bottle for something that's supposed to be a Black IPA and even more so when you consider this a hoppy ******* Stout. Pours as black as ink and has miles of roast/toast/burnt character, not quite balanced out by the (considerable) amount of hops used. There's some nice floral notes on the nose, but I'm finding this a tough drink to get through, and I love Black IPA's normally.

I think it's a good beer for what it is, but hopping the buggery out of a fizzy, thin stout doesn't make a Black IPA. This gets 99/100 on ratebeer apparently, which just goes to show that most people over there talk out their arses. There was some talk there of the carb levels being quite low, so perhaps the carb level in my bottle is unintentional, but I find it really detracts from the beer, and I for one would enjoy it more if carbed to a less ridiculous level. It's an ok beer, but not 99/100.

Finally cracked my Birthday Beer tonight, 3 weeks late thanks to work and the flu....

Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter.......no wonder it rates so well, bloody nice drop.

T'was my second Samuel Smith beer and both have been fantastic, may have to stock up next time I'm down the smoke.
No picture, too busy cooking and eating dinner for that....It was black with a nice tan head, yeah you can see it....

Was in Dan's place the other day so treated myself to a mix of 10 beers for 10% off

Last night I had a

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
These used to be such an awesome beer. Lately they have been a hit and miss, and this one missed the mark. I didn't get that in your face late hop hit from the hop back at all.

Stoke Bomer Kiwi Pale Ale
Fruity beer, more an Aussie Pale Ale on steroids, than an American Pale Ale. It had the hop level like an American, but the fruity flavors of the Australian.
I got a lot of stone fruit and a truck load of marmalade from it. It was very zesty.
Excellent value for money. 650ml bottle $3.49 - 10% = $3.14
Reading the bottle it's WAI-ITI hops

It's a beer I will buy again.

I bought a Sail and Anchor Imperial Stout at Dan's yesterday, must be a recent addition there. Didn't get around to drinking it though, anyone had this yet? Couldn't see it ITT...

Also noticed they had no Alpha Pale Ale and couldn't find any rows saying that it was out of stock, hope they aren't giving it the flick, they were discounting Matilda Bay beers up the front too :huh:

Logman said:
I bought a Sail and Anchor Imperial Stout at Dan's yesterday, must be a recent addition there. Didn't get around to drinking it though, anyone had this yet? Couldn't see it ITT...
Had one last night, but CBF posting a picture of it.

Big in flavour, as would be expected, lots of coffee, toffee and a hint of vanilla. Got a little bit too sweet by the end of the longneck, but definitely a great beer to have while sitting around the fireplace.

Expensive, but would buy again.

Australian Brewery, The Pale Ale
Pacific Pale Ale style

Awesome cloudy pale color
Mild malt backbone, with a clean Galaxy finish.
I find Galaxy is often overdone, here they have kept the maltiness low which allows a low level of Galaxy and have prevented the galaxy from becoming harsh.
A little bit sweet, a few more IBU would be nice.

Overall a very nice beer.

djar007 said:
Found this little gem at the Vic Market. Very nice. Definitely a treat for me. Savoured every mouthful. Lovely tang and rich malty finish.
Where abouts at the Market? The wine joint near the Bratwurst shop? Did they have much in the way of beer?

Yes thats the place. They have quite a few. Mostly local and European stuff.Probably fifty choices. Big selection of ciders too.

Had a Hunter Beer Co Oatmeal Stout on Saturday night... Well, about 3 sips from a longneck.

Nil Aroma
Flavour was acidic, tangy and almost lemony...

Infected I assume. VERY disapointting...

Monteiths Golden Lager
Nice aroma, but a very mild style beer. Nothing directly wrong, no infections/astringency or anything. I guess I was expecting more a Golden Ale style, and the lager just made me think of a girly drink.
Won't buy again

Leffe Blonde
What can I say Leffe always lives up to their reputation. Perfect!

Little Creatures Shepherd's Delight
Smooth malty base. For a Red IPA it seems more smooth than an in your face IPA.
Not a bad drop.

Logman said:
I bought a Sail and Anchor Imperial Stout at Dan's yesterday.....
WarmBeer said:
Had one last night, but CBF posting a picture of it.

Big in flavour, as would be expected, lots of coffee, toffee and a hint of vanilla. Got a little bit too sweet by the end of the longneck, but definitely a great beer to have while sitting around the fireplace.

Expensive, but would buy again.
Had it last night and you're right, a little sweet but otherwise nice. Don't know if I'd buy it again as I feel like I can brew this type of beer myself.

What I did have that surprised me was a Burleigh Brewing 28 Pale Ale - can't believe I've never had one coming from the Coast but was really impressed with this beer - hop heads might be disappointed but it's a really nice summer guzzler. :chug:

.DJ. said:
Had a Hunter Beer Co Oatmeal Stout on Saturday night... Well, about 3 sips from a longneck.

Nil Aroma
Flavour was acidic, tangy and almost lemony...

Infected I assume. VERY disapointting...
Sent of an email to Keith (brewer) about this issue. He offered a replacement and to my surprise, 3 bottles of beer turned up on my doorstep this moning. A replacement Stout, a porter and a Pale Ale...

a big Thumbs up to Keith and the Hunter Brewing Co...

Dundee IPA
It didn't hit the spot. Being an IPA I expected huge hops, and it did not deliver. An IPA with "bold and bitter" on the label I really expected a bitter hit, it had an APA bitterness, it was no where near an IPA. An ok'ish beer that I could drink again, but just didn't deliver on much. I actually checked the date on the bottle thinking it would be well past it's expiry date. But that 25/1/14 so it's not the cause.
Not on the buy again list.

Latest posts

Back