Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mountain goat fancy pants. What a load of crap. Average. Anyone and his dog can turn this out.

Sorely disappointed considering I loved raphunzel.

practicalfool said:
Mountain goat fancy pants. What a load of crap. Average. Anyone and his dog can turn this out.

Sorely disappointed considering I loved raphunzel.
am hearing you there .. not so fancy pants , more jeans or maybe corduroy, but all the same I would be happy to have brewed it ..

image.jpg

Your over there when I need you here ....
My happy ness :)

Stoke Bomber Bohemian Ale
Almost no maltyness, very fruity with a huge hit of lemon. I wonder if they have added lemon zest to it?
Not a Bohemian Ale, but an easy drinking beer.
It's cheaper to buy than the local megaswill.
Will buy again.

No photo (tablet fried on poor power supply *tears* ), but SN Bigfoot ALe Barleywine Style.

Like this.... but...... I just made it. Dude, it's a dead ringer for my young barleywine. Even the abv% (9.6%) is almost bang on.

Means, I'm going to have to show self-control and make sure that some of these last a year.

Bizier said:
I just finished an Australian pacific pale or whatever (the canned one).
While it is delicious, I am getting a low level but distinctive wild yeast phenol on the nose.
Just finished one too good drinkable beer, shame about the skinny can. Will be good though when camping.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
No photo (tablet fried on poor power supply *tears* ), but SN Bigfoot ALe Barleywine Style.

Like this.... but...... I just made it. Dude, it's a dead ringer for my young barleywine. Even the abv% (9.6%) is almost bang on.

Means, I'm going to have to show self-control and make sure that some of these last a year.
I'd love to see the recipe if you're willing to share. I love bigfoot it's like a fat smooth and alcoholic pine cone.

Anyway, here's my evening so far. Watching reds v lions.

image.jpg
So smooth and malty for a 10% beer. Quite glad that Dan stocks this.

image.jpg
Bloody thin after the trappe. Ridiculous but not unpleasant choc flavour too.

image.jpg
Tasty Belgian strong. Similar to chimay bleue for lack of a better comparison.

Bridges said:
Just finished one too good drinkable beer, shame about the skinny can. Will be good though when camping.
According to Dan's the can protects the beer from heat.

I have found the light. An aluminium shim is really an amazing thermal insulator, way better than glass. No wonder they make heat sinks from it.

Just cracked a La Trappe Blond,
More yeasty and aley (new word) than the Leffe Blonde.
Great beer but I prefer the Leffe as it more blonde, if you want a more trappist ale this is the beer.

Liam_snorkel said:
I'd love to see the recipe if you're willing to share. I love bigfoot it's like a fat smooth and alcoholic pine cone.
Didn't the reds do well?

Here's the recipe, but a couple of notes before hand.

I did mash high. That was deliberate (and about the only thing that was).

Stuff happened during the brewday/night. The water was turned off, so I didn't sparge, hence the poor efficiency. I expected to get about 15L or so out of this and got 11L at a lot lower OG.

Also, in frustration (and tiredness), I forgot to add hops to the boil as I'd planned (60 minute hop addition, with a zero minute addition no-chill) - I was running around trying to see if the water was turning less brown (once the water was back on). So I realised this when I'd finished the boil (2 hours, lots of caramelisation) and just did an 'on the hop' hop addition to hit 85IBU from 0 minute additions no chilled, and these actually worked and gave the bitterness to the malt/sweetness.

However, I would recommend a more traditional hopping regime, but in this case, maybe it's 'well this stuff up worked'.

Anywho, here it is, the figures are 'actual' not 'theoretical':

Goombarleywine
American Barleywine

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 11.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.500
Total Hops (g): 90.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.092 (°P): 22.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.028 (°P): 7.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.44 %
Colour (SRM): 13.4 (EBC): 26.3
Bitterness (IBU): 86.2 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 60
Boil Time (Minutes): 120

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Pilsner (81.82%)
0.500 kg Caramalt (9.09%)
0.500 kg Carared (9.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2.7 g/L)
20.0 g Mosaic Pellet (11% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.8 g/L)
40.0 g Summit Pellet (15.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (3.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 69°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Interesting. So are your 0 min additions at flameout, or in the cube?
and did you get that real kind of resinous piney flavour?

In the cube but the hops went in pretty much immediately in with the wort.

Yep, got resinous and pine, though I'd chuck in Chinook for the real deal. It's certainly not fruitsalad, as Mosaic was the only real 'fruity' hop I put in - Magnum and Summit are earthy and spicy style hops and pretty damned close.

I didn't have Chinook, or I'd have used that. But I reckon that Summit and Magnum worked well, gave good earthy bitterness and were pretty smooth.

Latest posts

Back