Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whered ya get that in QLD? I searched high and low for Rogue cos I knew it was over there but couldnt find any :(

Anyone over there do international mail orders? :(

Geoff is right, I normally get them from Nectar in West End.
I also got a few mail order from Cloudwine, www.slowbeer.com.au, not sure about international...

Just sitting down to my first taste of Wicked Elf's Witbier, and by gosh it's fantastic. The orange addition, as well as the coriander is hardly a subtle addition, but I don't mind that it's so pronounced. Not bad at all.

So far, the Little Brewing Co gets 2 out of 3 from me, as mentioned elsewhere Im loving the Pale Ale at the moment. Didnt care for their crack at a Belgian strong (the Mad Abbott), to my tastes it seems a bit 'young' and could probably do with a number of months conditioning. And I'm yet to try their Pilsener.

Poperings Hommel Bier

hommel.jpg

Strongish bitterness for a belgian. Nice fruity spicy flavour as it warms up. An interesting beer for sure.
I did some reading after and supposedly it is a belgian IPA, but a more muted one that some of the US inspired or brewed ones.

I just tried a St Peters (UK) IPA.

It is OK. It has a nice marmalade character (challenger?) and nice integrated esters, though I am unsure if it is a styrian goldings flavour/aroma, I get a little confused between the two.

It is a bit on the safe and mild side for me.

Lashed out on some moo brew,

The first is the APA which has a nice citrus hop aroma but loses it on the flavour and mouthfeel. A bit undercarbed.

IMG_3308sml.jpg

And cracked one of the bottles of the Vintage Imperial Stout. Awesome, even at this very early stage, a riot of flavours from vanilla, dark fruits, burn't sugar and caramelised malt, can't taste the alcohol but you sure can feel it.

IMG_3307sml.jpg

And cracked one of the bottles of the Vintage Imperial Stout. Awesome, even at this very early stage, a riot of flavours from vanilla, dark fruits, burn't sugar and caramelised malt, can't taste the alcohol but you sure can feel it.

View attachment 28354
Ouch Grant. $25 well spent?
Where'd you wind up finding that bad boy?

Ouch Grant. $25 well spent?
Where'd you wind up finding that bad boy?

Yes, definitely. Even SWMBO saw the light ;)

With the exception of Murrays, I don't think that there are any other Australian breweries attempting beers like this and it certainly compares favourably to the imported IPS I've tried recently (and they aren't cheap either).

I got it directly from Moorilla estate.

Rogue - Yellow Snow IPA

Thick moussy head, constant carbonation, bright yellow to gold in appearance. sweet malt on the nose with some citrus/peachy/marmalade amarillo aromas.

Sweet malt on the palate with a firm carbonation and medium mouthfeel. Finishes quite dry with some nutty malt characteristics, sweetness and a sharp bitterness. linger bitterness/hop on the palate with some maltyniess/munich like flavours. Looking at the bottle, its nothing more than Pale, Carapils and melanoiden malt. There must be a crapload of carapils for it to be this sweet, otherwise its aged poorly with some oxidation pushing forward the malt sweetness.

Very nice beer indeed. only donwside (IMO) is 100% amarillo has left it quite funny in the bitterness, not very smooth. if it was bittered with a smooth hop and finished heavily with amarillo i'd say 10/10.. currently its a 8-9/10 :p

pretty much a Golden Ale on roids. If golden ale was an IPA, this would be it!

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

yellowsnow.JPG

Heading down to Purvis over the weekend and was thinking about grabbing one of these. Your review has made that a certainty (availability pending).

Cheers

Heading down to Purvis over the weekend and was thinking about grabbing one of these. Your review has made that a certainty
Cheers

IMO get yourself a st rogue red, american amber ale, yellow snow IPA in that order, you will be a happy man! If you want something to make SWMBOd loins moist.. get a 'Hazelnut Nectar'. im planning on trying to clone this in preperation for VICBREW :icon_drool2: Its like drinking liquid nutella/ferrero rocher.

I will make mental a note. However, this is going to be my first visit to Purvis Cellars (fair slog from home) so my mental list already exceeds the budget. Probably won't get 3 beers from the same brewery but the ones I don't get now I will definitely get later. Thanks for the tip!

I will make mental a note. However, this is going to be my first visit to Purvis Cellars (fair slog from home) so my mental list already exceeds the budget. Probably won't get 3 beers from the same brewery but the ones I don't get now I will definitely get later. Thanks for the tip!

I guarantee you will leave with $100+ less in your bank account. Wery easy to get carried away. look for the guys thats tall, partly bald and a deep lurch voice! he added an extra $20 onto my purchase recently by throwing me a nogne #100... decent beer mind you!

I think I'll get out ok. I'll have the trouble and strife staring daggers.

IMO get yourself a st rogue red, american amber ale, yellow snow IPA in that order, you will be a happy man! If you want something to make SWMBOd loins moist.. get a 'Hazelnut Nectar'. im planning on trying to clone this in preperation for VICBREW :icon_drool2: Its like drinking liquid nutella/ferrero rocher.
You may know this already but Rogue have all the info on the bottle and the website for their beers. Grains used etc.
You might struggle with the 'Free Range Coastal Water' that they all have but apart from that...

I've got a Hazelnut Brown in the keg at the moment. It wasn't a clone, I didn't try using the same hops and the grains where a bit based on what I had etc but it's definitely a hazelnut beer. I think the extract lends a slight artificial taste I'm hoping will smooth out.

You may know this already but Rogue have all the info on the bottle and the website for their beers. Grains used etc.
You might struggle with the 'Free Range Coastal Water' that they all have but apart from that...

Also the PACMAN yeast. my AIPA Yellow Slow had a good layer of it in the bottom of the bottle, too bad i didnt have anything sanitised and ready to take some innoculation or else i would have built up a starter and slanted some of it. it sounds like a real verstile yeast.. would be good for a house ale yeast for American ales.

Welde No1 - German Pilsner

It was on special at the Local Duncans ..

A nice German Pilsner, loads of Hallertau and/or saaz, its citrusy as heck, but not all that spicy. Mild piulsner graininess, strongly bitter finish.

The first pilsner I have had in a while that is actually a properly bitter beer. Nice and to top it all off... on special for $35 atm.

By the way - I only just discovered it, but the Duncan's Liquor on Church st in Richmond has one of the best beer ranges that I have come across in Melbourne. Its not quite up to Purvis cellars territory, but it gives Cloudwine a good run for its money. Not a huge range of Aussie Micros.. but an impressive selection of imports with a better range of English beers than most. A fridge dedicated to ciders yet......

Here's the Beer Advocate entry for the Welde No1 - it gets a solid B. And it comes in a freaky, really really solid glass wobbly bottle with a ring pull.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/6844/16164
no1.gif

TB

Well, I got out of Purvis with my finances in tact (with the help of a 10% discount form the kind gent behind the jump!) and am happy with my selections. Missed a few I really wanted to find but you can't have everything can you? Fourstar, I got the St Rogue Red and the Yellow Snow IPA (amongst others), they were out of the other two. I'll let you know what I make of them.

White Shield IPA - It hasn't slapped me in the face like I want an IPA to but this is a very tasty beer none the less. I really wish I bought more than one. Aggressive yet restrained. I was expecting a darker malt character but was pleasantly surprised (not a fan of the roastier flavours). It is making the old K&B I'm following it with (Coopers Pale and Amarillo) seem positively vile.

I had the St Rogue Red earlier. I haven't dry hopped any of my beers as of yet and, to my knowledge, most of the commercial beers I've been drinking aren't dry hopped either. I think I now understand what people mean when they say that it can lend a vegetal aroma and flavour. It was a good beer (I really enjoyed the firm bitteness) but I do think I might have enjoyed it more with more restrained dry hoping. But perhaps I just need to drink more dry hopped beers to appreciate it more.

But now I'm drinking a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. This is a pretty great beer. Amazing aroma. Flavour-wise it is almost unlike any beer I've had. Am I getting mint?

Us Nongs in the Illawarra have a penchant for making Ales the Real Cube Type; so I took from this inspiration a Rocks Brewing Company 1809 Pale Ale.

The great thing is I also developed, brewed and packaged this beer commercially into the Real Cube direct from the 2400l fermenter this week. Its awesome and fresh, the main object was palate length to balance the hop bitterness which has been achieved (IMHO). I got really shitty over summer for Pale Ales that were poorly hobbled UK attempts with too much crystal malt or some weak insipid types which were a badly made lager dressed in a pale ale clothing. I also took a risk on the flavour hops, a blend of Liberty and Cascade, and i think it works.

So this one has malt, hops and bitterness and I like it. And in a moment I am about to refill the glass with another wonderfully Real Cubed bend ... pics may come someday ...

Scotty

Latest posts

Back