Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sam Smith nut brown ale hit the spot on Satdee night. :icon_drool2:

SSmith_nutbrown.jpg

Cracked open something really special that has been carefully aging away in my cellar for the past few years to rack up my 400th rate on Ratebeer.

Hahn_008.jpg
Hahn Millenium Vintage 1999 (yeah, the labels almost gone!)
Amazing how a decidedly average beer can hold up so well after 10 years.
Body has certainly thinned out after the years, but the flavours are fantastic; tawny port complexities of dried fruits and nuttiness, hint of citrus and spice, remarkably clean overall character for such an old beer.
Well worth the wait, and has got me wondering what a truely awesome beer is like after such a time period!

I have 10 botltes of it mate. My dad stashed a full carton of it away and dug it out a couple years back, tried one and hated it.

I have tried one and flavours compare with your description.

Port, vineous fruity qualities, spicy and smooth.

Are they worth anything?

I have 10 botltes of it mate. My dad stashed a full carton of it away and dug it out a couple years back, tried one and hated it.

I have tried one and flavours compare with your description.

Port, vineous fruity qualities, spicy and smooth.

Are they worth anything?
Probably worth bugger-all now, at least in the retail sense.
I came across it originally in a local independant bottle o around 5 years ago. Went back about a year later and they still had some but were flogging it cheap because it wasn't moving, at which point I bought them out of the last 6 bottles they had left. :icon_drunk:

None more left unfortunately. Though I gave a bottle to a mate as a birthday pressie a few years back, which he still has...might have to convince him to crack it out.

Cracked open something really special that has been carefully aging away in my cellar for the past few years to rack up my 400th rate on Ratebeer.

View attachment 29244
Hahn Millenium Vintage 1999 (yeah, the labels almost gone!)
Amazing how a decidedly average beer can hold up so well after 10 years.
Body has certainly thinned out after the years, but the flavours are fantastic; tawny port complexities of dried fruits and nuttiness, hint of citrus and spice, remarkably clean overall character for such an old beer.
Well worth the wait, and has got me wondering what a truely awesome beer is like after such a time period!

Congrats on 400, don't miss the song :icon_cheers:

Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, first one of the Smiths range I have had. Nice velvety smoothness which got better as it warmed up. Was good to have just one beer to savour over an hour.
crappy fone pic

DSC00047.JPG

had to share this couple.
started with a couple of lambics from cantillion.
first was the Vigneronne which is quite lovely and sour but balanced with the musket grapes.
01082009024.jpg

second was the Saint Lamvinus, which was just as nice but softer in taste. this was my favorite out of the two.
01082009025.jpg

A couple that I had on the weekend.
Friday night was Epic Pale Ale from NZ. Boy did it have some hops going on, they say that there are 23 in total, so how you could pick them apart who knows. Not a whole lot of malt going on here, pretty much all you tatse is hops. I would think it would be more of an IPA.

DSC00048.JPG

Then on Saturday night I had the St Rogue Red Ale. I tried this after 4*'s description. I wouldn't be able to add to his description, except to say YUMMY!! Even swmbo loved it.
:icon_cheers:

DSC00051.JPG

A couple that I had on the weekend.
Friday night was Epic Pale Ale from NZ. Boy did it have some hops going on, they say that there are 23 in total, so how you could pick them apart who knows. Not a whole lot of malt going on here, pretty much all you tatse is hops. I would think it would be more of an IPA.

Hi Eric,

Its been a while since I tried their Pale but I remember it being one of the hoppiest pales Ive ever had. I tried their IPA last week, seriously hoppy beer with a very smooth bitterness (id like to know how they do that)

cheers
Andrew.

I found something new at the bottleshop this evening, a Leffe Bruin

IMG_3321.JPG

dark and malty with raisins and all the belgian trappings. Biscuity and rich. Yum

Few more.
Gawd ....Gueze is fast becoming my favourite style of beer.

Lindemans_Grand_Cru_Cuvee_Rene_Gueuze_Lambic.jpg

Lindemans_Tea_Beer.jpg

St_Benoit_Blonde.jpg

Hi Eric,

Its been a while since I tried their Pale but I remember it being one of the hoppiest pales Ive ever had. I tried their IPA last week, seriously hoppy beer with a very smooth bitterness (id like to know how they do that)

cheers
Andrew.
Gulpa,
Where did you get their IPA, would love to try that, I would think that they could be pretty similar as the pale was really quite hop driven.

Gulpa,
Where did you get their IPA, would love to try that, I would think that they could be pretty similar as the pale was really quite hop driven.

Hi Eric,

Unfortunately it was in NZ. It was the Epic Armageddon IPA. This page indicates you might be able to get it from Purvis cellars in Vic. Where did you get the Pale? It might be worth asking them if they can get some in ?

Cheers
Andrew.

Edit: damn, wish I was in Wello for this.

I got mine at Platinum Cellars on Concord Rd, I might ask if they can get it in. An i agree with you, I would love to go to that as well. See if you can find a cheap flight!! lol

Barls, where in sydney did you get those Cantillon brews?

We can get the gueuze, rose de gambrinus, kriek and the unblended lambic (can't remember the name) here in newcastle ,but i haven't seen those ones.

Barls, where in sydney did you get those Cantillon brews?

We can get the gueuze, rose de gambrinus, kriek and the unblended lambic (can't remember the name) here in newcastle ,but i haven't seen those ones.

He probably got them from Belgium when he was over there...

correct from the brewery itself

Just finished a Cooper's Best Extra Stout. It's from a batch I won at my golf club's beer draw. I took the crap Cascade Light I won back to the bar, and swapped it for a 6 pack of Coopers Stout. Had to pay $4 more for it, but geez, it's worth it.

I see it has a best after date of 25.01.08.

Very smooth, mellow, and delicious. Not as bitter as Sheaf or Guinness, but not sweet either. I'm looking forward to downing the other five.

I've only ever brewed one Stout in my brewing career, but I may need to revisit that.

Back