Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the recent taphouse ale stars I noticed the difference between Coopers BES on tap (firt time) and in the bottle (consumes too many times to think about). Quite different beasts for whatever reason, but a beautiful antipodean drop.

After a stint at the Taphouse I am drinking a Barons ESB... have a fullers on hand for comparisons when I am feeling more thoughtful than thirsty, but it is a fine drop, and absolutely unmatched at the price (having sufficiently complex hops, esters and malt).

Greene King IPA

Brilliant clarity, caramel white head which dissipates to light foam. Sweet toffee on the nose, light maltiness with some fruity esters present and a light spicy hop aroma. Light, thin watery body with a moderate carbonation. bitterness is firm and slightly spicy/earthy. Some lingering citrus notes. base Malt flavour takes a back seat and seems quite sweet, almost golden syrup like. If this is all malt i'd be interested to know the crystal used to get this sweetness. 'primary school fete toffee like'.

Finish is quite bitter with a creaminess at the abck of the palate, some of that lingering light toffee sweetness is present in the aftertaste. For an IPA come standard/ordinary bitter the balace is very much hop forward with a thin malt body lacking some backbone.

Overall, a thirst quenching beer. Would be decent on a hot summers day watchin the cricket!

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

greene_king_ipa.JPG

Greene King IPA

Brilliant clarity, caramel white head which dissipates to light foam. Sweet toffee on the nose, light maltiness with some fruity esters present and a light spicy hop aroma. Light, thin watery body with a moderate carbonation. bitterness is firm and slightly spicy/earthy. Some lingering citrus notes. base Malt flavour takes a back seat and seems quite sweet, almost golden syrup like. If this is all malt i'd be interested to know the crystal used to get this sweetness. 'primary school fete toffee like'.

Finish is quite bitter with a creaminess at the abck of the palate, some of that lingering light toffee sweetness is present in the aftertaste. For an IPA come standard/ordinary bitter the balace is very much hop forward with a thin malt body lacking some backbone.

Overall, a thirst quenching beer. Would be decent on a hot summers day watchin the cricket!

hops and greene king IPA should not be in the same sentance

Greene King IPA

After trying this beer from the cask in the UK, the bottled version pales in comparison.

Bit confused about it being called an IPA, quite watery as you said, but damn they pack some flavour into it!...considering it's a 'mid-strength' beer.

hops and greene king IPA should not be in the same sentance

By 'hop forward' i mean bitter as the malt presence in the finish was non existant(minus the sweet toffee). The hop aroma and flavour was negligible, those notes are probabaly just my imagination! :p

Marston's - Pedigree

Bright Amber with a fluffy cloud like head, Aroma is sweet malt, some nuttiness lingers and some fruity esters. Hops are non existant on the nose and Im getting some tin/metallic aromas, damn rusty bottle caps!

Carbonation is moderate with a malty chewy palate. malt is somewhat sweet, nutty and has a light munich like breadcrust/biscuit flavour. Hop flavours are low to non existant, slightly floral and/or spicy. Finish is malty sweet and chewy. Hop bitterness is firm and finishes sharp, either from carbonation and or water profile.

A decent beer overall. Just wish i didnt get taht metallic note, it seems every 2nd beer i get from the Uk has a rusty lip on the bottle from rusted bottle caps!

Cheers!

Marstons_Pedigree.JPG

Do all you guys keep all the empty bottles of these brews to keep as a reminder/display/whatever???

:icon_cheers: CB

Do all you guys keep all the empty bottles of these brews to keep as a reminder/display/whatever???

:icon_cheers: CB

I do. (where's the anorak emoticon?)

I dread the day that we move house and I'm going to have to cull all but a handful of the more interesting bottles. No doubt I'll be checking here to see if anyone wants the empties.

No anymore, see below

I do. (where's the anorak emoticon?)
I dread the day that we move house and I'm going to have to cull all but a handful of the more interesting bottles. No doubt I'll be checking here to see if anyone wants the empties.

The windowsill of my old palce int eh loungeroom has like 30 assorted bottles myself and SWMBO'd enjoyed the view of. when we moved we boxed them all up expecting a place ot put them.. my housemates didnt want a bar of it. we selected5-10 of our favourites to display whcih lasted 3 months until they wanted 'more space'. Suffice to say, they all met their maker at Visy recycling <_<

No anymore, see below

The windowsill of my old palce int eh loungeroom has like 30 assorted bottles myself and SWMBO'd enjoyed the view of. when we moved we boxed them all up expecting a place ot put them.. my housemates didnt want a bar of it. we selected5-10 of our favourites to display whcih lasted 3 months until they wanted 'more space'. Suffice to say, they all met their maker at Visy recycling <_<
Sounds all too familiar.

I've got 4 bookshelves which are now chockers, and have proceeded to move onto a table in the lounge room for the more recent tastings.
I think I might just give it up...soon :rolleyes:

I am about to drink my last bottle of Barons ESB left over from last weekend's case.

I thought I would put it here quickly because I think for a beer at the $40 per case range, there is absolutely nothing that comes close. I have heckled poor Richard hair-splittingly small issues, but it is the only beer I by more than two of at a time.

Picked up a number of beers in the last couple of days I'd heard about but not seen before can't wait until my smell/taste returns when I shake this cold to give them a crack. Also there's the couple of beers I picked up in the Hunter last month.

20090812tobedrunknextweek.jpg

Also just realised there's a bunch of pics on my camera of beers I've had but not posted up, time to edit and upload them I suppose :)

Cheers,

GT

I am about to drink my last bottle of Barons ESB left over from last weekend's case.

I thought I would put it here quickly because I think for a beer at the $40 per case range, there is absolutely nothing that comes close. I have heckled poor Richard hair-splittingly small issues, but it is the only beer I by more than two of at a time.

I agree Dan. Very good beer for the price. I find it hard to go past when Im after a 6-pack. :icon_cheers:

I've been looking at but not really bothering to try St Arnou's Pale Ale for a while now. I haven't really seen it mentioned here and so I was somewhat reticent to give it a go unrecommended. Turns out I've tried every pale ale they sell so I decided to give it a go.

I now know why it doesn't get much of a mention. I opened the bottle and before I even poured it it smelled like a lightly hopped lager or a mega-brewery version of a pilsner. Turns out that's how it tastes too. Awful. I wish my camera was working so I could show you guys the colour too - it is lighter in colour than Cascade Light. Not exaggerating. I want to punch this beer.

I've been looking at but not really bothering to try St Arnou's Pale Ale for a while now. I haven't really seen it mentioned here and so I was somewhat reticent to give it a go unrecommended. Turns out I've tried every pale ale they sell so I decided to give it a go.

I now know why it doesn't get much of a mention. I opened the bottle and before I even poured it it smelled like a lightly hopped lager or a mega-brewery version of a pilsner. Turns out that's how it tastes too. Awful. I wish my camera was working so I could show you guys the colour too - it is lighter in colour than Cascade Light. Not exaggerating. I want to punch this beer.
I recall first trying this beer for the first time a good number of years ago on tap. It was actually really nice back then when it was a "tap only" beer, not to mention quite allusive. Gone downhill ever since they turned to bottles...the tap beer is even disappointing now!

ok first off a pic of the lovely swmbo at murays with a dark knight and a whale ale
09082009009.jpg

both were good the dark knight was so smooth.
secondly just cracked this one as a warm up for tomorrow
14082009026.jpg

its not bad but is only a average bruin from belgium. we did bring back better ones but ill save them for later.
ill post some pics of tomorrow after the fact if i can

Hanssens Artisanaal Oude Kriek
Great funky aroma.
Initial very slight sweetness before the sourness comes through.
Perhaps not quite as intense as the Cantillon Kriek but I think perhaps a better balanced beer in some ways.
Very enjoyable.

hanskriek.jpg

We have a handpull ... so I ran some Scharers lager thru it... GRRR ... GRRRR

Two beers for the night that I had not tried.

3842556856_b6ae66318a.jpg

I was quite happy with this, balanced and quite strong in the bretty aroma and tastes. It left me wanting more and sniffing my glass, and I would love to brew a geuze that provoked that reaction in a drinker.

3841764965_bb398fb0ca.jpg

I gather from the GER that this is a colaboration between Garrett Oliver and Schneider... An imperial hefe? I can taste and smell loads of pineapple that I could only attribute to some funky yeast or some US hops that Mr Oliver flew over personally. And given the name, I assume the latter. It is one of the most well hidden 8+% alcohol beers I have had to date. It is delicious, mysterious, supremely balanced and drinkable. I want more.

Was in Canbeera over the weekend and managed to go the Wig and Pen, have to say i was very impressed with their beers. I had the Brewers IPA which was fantastic, great hoppy IPA, very VERY drinkable and then an RIS, woaah, was velvety smooth and very tasty, I only had half and started feeling it about a third the way through.

Was able to get to Plonk as well and picked up these.
Flying Dog Double Pale Ale. Didn't read the label before buying and didn't realise it was 11.5% and 85 IBU :eek: . Have to say that it didn't taste like it was an 11.5% beer, no real alcohol warmth, must have been muted by all those hops, but the taste of the hops was great, and I would say that they where muted by the alcohol.
DSC00056.JPG

I also picked these up. The Unibroue will be left for some time. The rogue might get drunk on my b'day, or maybe not :)
DSC00057.JPG

Latest posts

Back