Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
weihenstephan_korbinian.jpg

Wooah!!

So that's how you brew beer...

I'll get my coat...

Melbourne_Bitter.JPG

On opening, a definite hop presence, which I now recognise to be POR or Superpride family. Smooth fairly delicate flavour with none of the 'wet dog / mousecage' twang you often get from XXXX. None of the harsh metallic twang of VB. Some nice malt going on here. The 'afterburp' is also nicely malty. On warming slightly none of the 'wheelie bin landfill' twang of Tooheys Extra Dry.

After a few swigs a pleasant bitterness building up on the back of the tongue. Really nothing objectionable here ... a good session lawnmowing Australian Standard Lager. I remain a quiet fan of Melbourne Bitter. :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Flying Dog Double Pale Ale. Didn't read the label before buying and didn't realise it was 11.5% and 85 IBU :eek: . Have to say that it didn't taste like it was an 11.5% beer, no real alcohol warmth, must have been muted by all those hops, but the taste of the hops was great, and I would say that they where muted by the alcohol.

I picked this up from Platinum Cellars last month. Very nice stuff. Really smooth as you say and the alcohol was very well hidden. Great hops though. Not IIPA knock your socks off level but really gave me my hop fix after I'd been brewing mostly malt focussed beers for a bit. Inspired me to knock up a really hoppy APA and then an American IPA.

You should also try their Imperial Porter. :icon_drunk:

Come on... you need a lesson in quietness BribieG :lol: .
Considering the local context (i.e. regional QLD), I'm another quiet fan. If there's nothing but megaswill available (often the case), it is first cab. Often MB is the closest thing we have around here to a half- decent beer, particularly considering that all of largely- undrinkable place- getters are ubiquitous, and with undesirable characteristics BribieG describes so aptly!

Oh, and shhh!!... its a quiet beer! :p
Edit: Apologies to Jimoen, his is the 'quiet beer'.

Found a Lindemans Framboise and had to have a go of it.

Delightful beer, poured ruby red with pink head, smelled awesome, tasted even better.

20090825lindemansframboise.jpg

So glad I had it after the Barking Flamingo (what a disappointment that was).

I picked this up from Platinum Cellars last month. Very nice stuff. Really smooth as you say and the alcohol was very well hidden. Great hops though. Not IIPA knock your socks off level but really gave me my hop fix after I'd been brewing mostly malt focussed beers for a bit. Inspired me to knock up a really hoppy APA and then an American IPA.

You should also try their Imperial Porter. :icon_drunk:
Definitely had a good hop presence to it, I had to drink Squires IPA after this, not any where near this one, and it left me not liking the Squires. I think they may have changed the hops in their IPA.

I think a trip to Platinum will have to be on the cards some time soon :icon_cheers:

celebrating my bday with some belgians.
started off with a la trap blonde no pic though.
now on a gent triple.
27082009031.jpg

we will see what happens with the rest of the night.

gave me my hop fix after I'd been brewing mostly malt focussed beers for a bit. Inspired me to knock up a really hoppy APA and then an American IPA.
Went through the same thing recently after having one of these....................
drikkeriget.jpg

I had a White Rabbit dark this evening... no photo, sorry. A very nice drinkable beer, a little safe, but with enough character in all areas to make it worth it.

Todays Haul, i was wrapped to finally find a great bottleshop in Geelong "The Wine Merchant" on Pako Awesome range of ecclectic beers Cantillion Gueze Ozzie Micros English Bitters and Dopplebocks not to mention cheap glassware. They had Westmalle, Erdinger, Trappist Rochefort, SchofferHoffer glasses for $5 each awesome . Here's what i took home today

IMG_8245.jpg

Let me start with the Dopplebock ooohhhh baby lots of dark fruits bready and melanoiden rich with a sneaky alcohol that just pops up and punches you in the back of the head really enjoyed this one, reminds me why we brew.

IMG_8249.jpg

Taddy porter , Mild, coffee little chocolatey and Roasty but smooth went down a treat, beer is good and wants us to be happy.

IMG_8251.jpg

I've been looking at but not really bothering to try St Arnou's Pale Ale for a while now. I haven't really seen it mentioned here and so I was somewhat reticent to give it a go unrecommended. Turns out I've tried every pale ale they sell so I decided to give it a go.

I now know why it doesn't get much of a mention. I opened the bottle and before I even poured it it smelled like a lightly hopped lager or a mega-brewery version of a pilsner. Turns out that's how it tastes too. Awful. I wish my camera was working so I could show you guys the colour too - it is lighter in colour than Cascade Light. Not exaggerating. I want to punch this beer.

I remember having this on tap in Sydney about 4 years ago and really enjoying. Then it disappeared for a while and returned in the bottle. Needless to say, it is not the same.

duchesse_1.jpg

Well this was certainly the highlight of my Monday and the first Flanders Red style I've tried. The aroma is very vinegar like but the taste is divine. There's a fair amount of sweetness to it combined with the sour tastes and a very port like after-taste.

Drank this one for Franko last night - An 8%+ bastardised scotch ale full of hops - :icon_drool2:

Picture_246.jpg

Cheers Ross

....& knocked off this little collection during mash-in at our last brew day at the Olde Saratoga Brewery

Picture_169.jpg Picture_170.jpg

Cheers Ross

Drank this one for Franko last night - An 8%+ bastardised scotch ale full of hops - :icon_drool2:

View attachment 30372

Cheers Ross

Ross mate, you need to 'mule' one back for me! :lol:

I'm sure my red rocket clone didn't even come close to your description (was a decent beer, just nothing like a good caramelized scotch ale on a high from US hops) more like an amber on crack.

Cheers!

Crackenback pale ale...

Chinook for bittering, amarillo and cascade for flavour. Has a sweet caramal/toffee with a slight pineapple aroma, slight citrus taste with a good caramel finish. Overall a nice beer, but I wouldn't buy a 6 pack again if there are other options...

Cheers
Phil

DSCF0897.jpg

went down to the local bottlo to check it out (just moved). to my suprise it actually has a bloody good range of beers. some good imports and microbrews. stoked. picked up few bottles of Ten20 Commemorative Ale as it was marked down from $11 to $7 per bottle. laughing. its an ok beer. 7.9%alc and 69IBU balanced very well. some nice barley wine-esk characteristics. good dark copper colour. not bad at all. it did remind me afterwards of a Muntons Old Smuggler Ale thats been put on sterriouds. but not a bad beer.

no photos alas. took some with my phone, but later found my phone on the drive way where it must have fallen out of my pocket and I had run over it with the car. apparently a few time times by the look of it. so no pics. none of my fantastic curry that i made either that went rather well with the Ten20 :(

Back