Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Eric,

Its been a while since I tried their Pale but I remember it being one of the hoppiest pales Ive ever had. I tried their IPA last week, seriously hoppy beer with a very smooth bitterness (id like to know how they do that)

cheers
Andrew.

Good to see Epic is making its way across the ditch! Armageddon IPA was devine! Picked up a gold medal at Beervana as well :icon_drool2:

That smooth bitterness comes from an abundance of hops, but with a good malt backbone to hold them up... Yum!! :icon_drool2:

Good to see Epic is making its way across the ditch! Armageddon IPA was devine! Picked up a gold medal at Beervana as well :icon_drool2:

That smooth bitterness comes from an abundance of hops, but with a good malt backbone to hold them up... Yum!! :icon_drool2:
Rev, I had a friend go to NZ a few weeks ago and he said that the places he went to hadn't heard of Epic, I said WTF?? Shame the IPA didn't get over here and my mate couldn't find it, oh well maybe next year.

By the way I had this on Monday night for my b'day. Rogue Morimoto Imperial Pilsener.
Was certainly hoppy but didn't seem like it was the 74 IBU they stated, must have been the 8.8%abv, which again didn't seem liker it, so it was a very good blend of both. From memory they used Sterling hops, not as enjoyable as Saaz imo, but hey that's me.

DSC00060.JPG

I sent a work collegue off to Beervana to check it out. He did a vertical of the Armageddon. Apparently there was a keg or so that the put on the ferry and left there for a time to simulate a traditional IPA sea voyage. Said it was absolutely awesome.

Rev, I had a friend go to NZ a few weeks ago and he said that the places he went to hadn't heard of Epic, I said WTF?? Shame the IPA didn't get over here and my mate couldn't find it, oh well maybe next year.

Hi Eric,

Im back in NZ next week. I hope its still on tap at the Malthouse :icon_cheers: . They had it at the supermarket last time I was there. If I can still find it I will bring a bottle back. Happy to share if you are up for it.

cheers
Andrew.

Hi Eric,

Im back in NZ next week. I hope its still on tap at the Malthouse :icon_cheers: . They had it at the supermarket last time I was there. If I can still find it I will bring a bottle back. Happy to share if you are up for it.

cheers
Andrew.
Andrew, I would be more than happy to share and would be more than happy to sling you a few bucks for a couple of bottles as well. :super:

Yeh sadly there are still alot of places in NZ that havnt heard of or care about craft beer, Epic is not at all supermarkets or outlets but it is at a decent amount and growing!

And yes :( At beervana Luke filled a couple of casks with Armageddon IPA, and put em on the interislander ferry for a couple of weeks, and only served them at beervana, which I was unable to make it to <_<

Was chatting to him about Armageddon - as he judged an American IPA comp which I came 1st in :rolleyes: , and he was saying that you really have to be prepared to put your nuts on the line, at $50k a batch you better hope people will buy it!!!

From last weekend, 200g of galaxy in the big glass some maiden ale poured though it in the pint.

SANY0866.JPG

Nah the glass is not a 'found' one
It is just a $1.50 stock tumbler from Ikea. No branding on it at all.
$1.50!

Just goes to show how much difference a label can make.
The Hoegaarden version goes for around 15 bucks.

Guinness 250

Roasty, sweet toffee and acrid on the nose, Ruby to black in apperance, some slight phenoilc or alcohol notes coming through. big fluffy head dropped to whispy foam. Moderate mouthfeel with medium carbonation. Roasty bittersweet malt with some acrid malt falvours. Sone warming alcohol in the finish. Some sweetness lingers but mostly dominated by burnt huskiness.. A rather decent beer. I was expecting Guinness Draught on crack but it tastes like the export i had when i was in singapore. Kinda like Southwark Old Stout, just less ballsy.

Cheers!

guinness250.JPG

Boddington's pub ale.

Recently got a few different beers: Westmalle trippel (tried before, enjoyed but the dubbel is my fave of all time)
Rochefort 10 (lovely beer but seems to have just a touch too much spice. I know they use coriander and maybe it doesn't need it. Maybe not the best beer to have as a finisher at 1 am though)
Belhaven wee heavy: rich and malty
Samuel Smith's nut brown ale and oatmeal stout. I'm not sure what it is but besides their organic cider, I always find myself wanting a touch more of something from SS beers. Good beers but not outstanding.
Greene king Suffolk strong vintage strong: Very much enjoyed this one.

Just finished my bottle of Mikkeller USAlive tonight. No photos im to lazy.

It's a Belgian strong ale with heaps of American hops. 8% abv.

It also has brettanomyces in it which is hardly coming through.

So if anyone else has this beer and wants a bit of brett character I would leave it for a bit longer.

Still a fantastic beer though. It just means I need to try and find another bottle

Kabooby :)

Found this Sierra Nevada Estate 2009 Brewers Harvest Ale in a beer store just outside Columbus Ohio on Saturday. Lovely beer with very subtle hop flavour and aroma, great balance.

SierraNevadaEstate2Glasses.JPG

SierraNevadaEstateBrewersHarvestAle1stReleases.jpg

I just couldn't make it to the pub for 17:59 to toast Arthur. I had to settle with a few of the nitro cans and a special glass from the off-license.

P9240099.jpg

To Arthur!

Renaissance MPA Imperial IPA - Man, do I like this beer! Firm but smooth bitterness up front. Warm alcohol notes at the end. And then the bitterness really kicks in - keeps working on you for ages. I'm really enjoying it but even now I can see it's the kind of beer I could only have occasionally or it'd ruin more sensibly hopped brews. Nice stuff.

Rouges XS: Imperial Indian Pale Ale
A whiff of the cap on opening is enough to get the hop juices flowing. Heads dies quickly but left with a thin layer . Golden orange/copper. Smells peachy, with slight alcohol, herbal. Tastes of =sStonefruit and yeast. Malt and hops dominate throughout. Thats all I got. No pic, cause I have no camera...

Brew Dog Tokyo (12%)
Smells like soy sauce and vegemite. Almost no head, with no lacing. Can't even see theough it at the bottom of the wine glass... Taste: smoked wood and dark roasted malt. The light carbonation was awesome for everything that was going on. The half hour out of the fridge was great. Got better as the glass went on. Great beer, wish we could have the Tokyo* (18%).

Latest posts

Back