Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A going-away do at the local Irish pub saw me trying a few beers I hadn't had in a while (tab running).

Guiness - Completely underwhelming. I love me a good stout (more Aussie style like a Coopers or Cascade Stout) but I just couldn't enjoy it. It seemed largely devoid of anything and considering it's an iconic drop, I was very surpised at a lack of any real roast flavour or kick. Poured properly though with a thick creamy head.

Kilkenny - Better than the Guiness but again, not what I was expecting. A bit lacking in everything. Tastes better out of the imported can that's for sure. Poured well and the creamy head was full of texture (as per) but once it dissipated there was no real character. Quite baffling actually.

Coopers Sparkling Ale - Stubbie bottle out of the fridge? I was perplexed, I thought they ended the subbie bottles early this year? A best before date of Sept 2013 confirmed my suspicions. Had definitely aged.

Matilda Bay Ruby Tuesday - Very nice red hue and caramel aroma notes. Maybe a little too toffee-like I thought. The taste confirmed this as it tasted like liquid carared and made me think that this beer had been made to look red rather than taste good. Didn't really enjoy it, quite thin and bodyless, and had no hop presence.

Fat Yak - Did enjoy this. Never thought I'd like Nelson Sauvin but haters be damned, this tasted alright. It confirmed that my tastebuds weren't braken as I suspected after the Guiness and Kilkenny.

Who would have thought?

CrookedFingers said:
Oh shaunous.
I really like that beer !
That's a shame, bad sixer maybe ??
What didn't you like ?
CF
Dave70 said:
Haven't had these in almost a year, but I recall it wasn't a bad drop. Wouldn't be the first time a decent beer's gone to shit.
What didn't you like about it?

Bought a 6-pack, took only 3 to the beach to go with a carton of Dr Tims.
Dr Tims were all consumed and opened up one of these, i had one mouthfull, swallowed and said 'Holy Fuk that is awfull', everyone at the party stared at me, had one more mouthfull and couldnt swallow it.
I then swapped the other 2 bottles I had for 2 XXXXGold cans when a mate wasnt watching his esky, yep thats right, a sandy XXXXGold tinny tasted like the nectar of a blonde virgin compared to this.

I have the other 3 sitting in my fridge, i'll get game enough to try one more and see what it tastes like exactly.

I rated it a half star on untappd, half a star less then XXXXGold, Carlton Draught and Carlton Mid.

I've seriously never had to spit a beer out, i've always been able to stomach it in the name of science and good times, but this one beat me.

Garage Project Sauvin Nouveau.

Lots of obvious Nelson aroma, gooseberry etc, and there's a sweet scent in there too.
Then, sweetness as you fill up your face-hole, which quickly gives way to quite a big stab of bitterness, which lasts for aaaagggges.
The bottle doesn't state IBUs, but it must be up there, to combat the grapey sweetness, I suppose.

It's a good experiment and it's certainly interesting, but not really for me. Although, I'm not generally enamored with pilsner-based beverages most of the time anyway.

20140822_174647.jpg

Euro pints of leffe bruin and leffe blonde. On tap. Happy hour. Joy

Camera is stuffed so no pics, so I'll just have to come back when it's fixed

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1408709389.792051.jpg

Smells all tropical fruit salad, drinks like a traditional lager. Really cool. The new world hops work so well with the Tett.

In the tradition of showing off the new glass(Thanks heaps Yob) , here is a Nogne o #100

One of the best beers I have tried. Great balance of rich malt and fruity hops. Bitterness is spot on and it rolls over the tongue. A real pleasure at every sip. The caramel flavour that comes through is exactly what I try to achieve with my IIPA but still need to work on.

2014-08-22 21.10.52.jpg

was down at philip island on the weekend,went into the cowes hotel bottleshop got some penguinbrewery stubbies, there new dark ale,very enjoyable beer.(No pIcs..no camera)

63 days, good effort. After reading ahb 25 times during the day I really struggle not pouring a beer within 5 mins of getting home.

A few nice beers by Anchor Brewing Co. today, I had their tin signs in my brew room for sometime. Unfortunately some bad news regards my dear old Mum tonight, spoils the whole mood hey?

Batz

DSCF3797.JPG

DSCF3800.JPG

DSCF3802.JPG

Birthday treats for me. I haven't tried many different beer styles and had $11 in my pocket so splurged at DM's as exotically as I could.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1409219104.511120.jpg

Familiar taste, I've had something like this before. Caramel, toffee, alcohol, and that 'something' that makes it what it is. Knew I'd had one afterwards. Enjoyable, but would only want the one.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1409219227.127838.jpg

Drinking now. Overpoweringly aromatic, amazingly so I think. I can almost see the hop flower scent flowing out of the glass. Very punchy and a bit too strong for my liking. Oozes IPA, no nonsense.

TheWiggman said:
Birthday treats for me. I haven't tried many different beer styles and had $11 in my pocket so splurged at DM's as exotically as I could.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1409219104.511120.jpg

Familiar taste, I've had something like this before. Caramel, toffee, alcohol, and that 'something' that makes it what it is. Knew I'd had one afterwards. Enjoyable, but would only want the one.

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1409219227.127838.jpg

Drinking now. Overpoweringly aromatic, amazingly so I think. I can almost see the hop flower scent flowing out of the glass. Very punchy and a bit too strong for my liking. Oozes IPA, no nonsense.
That Ballast Point is pretty old, they changed their labelling about 9 months ago, glad it's held up well

Chucked some steaks in the HERMS sous vide, now kicking back with this bad boy.

Happy Friday everyone!IMAG0124_1.jpg

Hoping there is a happy ending to that one Batz. Well, as much as can be.

Got that bling ipa pack and some cascade bright ale today.
Haven't tried the bling ipa but severely underwhelmed by the cascade bright ale. First beer of the week perhaps and still severely underwhelmed.

Finished off the bottle of 2012 prickly Moses Biere de garde. Lubberly dark sleep inducing stuff. Had with some baby spinach tossed in lime, pistachio, almond and white pepper and a faux mushroom risotto. No pics, all beer tonight was drunk out of the spiegelau ipa glass. Quite nice.

Cascade - Sang Noir

Awesome sour i picked up in the USA, aged in oak barrels with cherries, better than Russian River in my opinion

Sang Noir.JPG

These got me through the arvo.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1409391626.245031.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1409391650.827718.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1409391662.662056.jpg

The alpha was great , first time I have tried it. Maybe a new fave.
Two birds sunset ale.... Lovely....as always.
Gippsland gold always good. Although it poured like it was slightly overcarbed, no stress there though.
What a tasty afternoon indeed .

CF

Back