Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridges, that's likely just yeast and protein, what you'd usually find at the bottom of the bottle. Somewhere along the line someone likely stored the bottle on its side to keep the cork wet. That's the exact pattern you'd see on a bottle of sparkling, unfiltered wine stored on its side. Once it's set up it will stay like that even if you turn the bottle upright. I'm happy to drink it for you to test it though :)

Thanks guy's was planning to get into it tonight but doesn't look like it's going to happen, spewing I missed some NN gold by the looks of things too.

Got a nice mixed 6'er from Carwyn to help drown my sorrows after todays shitful effort from the Tigers.

First off the rank was Beechworth Pale Ale. A beer that has been my favourite local brew, but the last 2 x 6'ers (from Dan's) were disappointing. Grabbed a bottle from Carwyn's to see if the problem was with the retailer, or the brewer.
Have to say that the Carwyn's drop is a little better, tastes fresher - but still, it's like the hop profile has changed from upfront punchy citrus and tropical hops to dank… disappointed.

This picture, is Parrotdog's "Bloodhound" Red Ale. Very nice. I'm not massive on the aroma, which I'm attributing to some crystal malt and some sort of medicinal vibe hop - but the flavour is very nice. Parrotdog claim that the beer is "grassy", I can get a little of that, but it's more medicinal on the nose to me, maybe almost a little metallic (aroma, if that makes sense - not flavour). 8/10.

gallery_23808_1168_334699.jpg

gallery_23808_1168_123200.jpg

#3 Dogfish Head 'Palo Santo Marron' Brown Ale (2014)

Good Lord. Brown Ale? More like double imperial brown ale (if that style exists?) - this big f*cker weighs in at 12% alc/vol!
Wish I had looked at the potency of this feller when I'd organised tonights "tasting" session. I thought it was just a US Brown Ale.

Interesting write up on the bottle…
"An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented BROWN ALE aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this ale comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were created…"

Initial aroma was pretty amazing. Upon pouring it, I thought I was getting banana. On closer inspection, I must admit, I'm not sure exactly what the aroma is… but I like it (other than the alcohol which is noticeable). Smells a tiny bit vanilla - without the sweetness, but with alcohol in the background.
The flavour/taste is impressive. For a 12% beer, it hides the alcohol - which I always rate as a good quality (want to taste alcohol, drink vodka!). You know the alcohol's there, and there's a fair bit of malt sweetness afoot, as well as some mildly roasted malt.

A wonderfully complex beer that is sure to play havoc with the rest of my "tasting" session. Lol.
To be honest, I'd probably prefer it with a little less alcohol. For what it is, nicely balanced. 8.5/10

Bought a sixer of this stuff. (Edit: Artisan Reserve)

artisan reserve.jpg

What is it with Coopers and Lager, after the appalling 62 Lager I was hoping for something better, but they can't seem to brew a decent one that doesn't taste dull and grassy with an aroma that is reminiscent of TED left out in the sun on a BBQ bench in a beer garden.

Hallertau Tradition and Hersbrucker? Ballocks.

Not worth taking a photo, I just used the stock picture. If they could just brew something like Cascade Premium or Cascade Green Label "Pale Ale" as a lager they would be on a winner, but for some reason they just don't seem to get lager.

</rant>

Out of everything I drank yesterday this was by far the best

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396773036.075293.jpg

Feral - Tusk
Still too hungover to write tasting notes haha. But I'm so glad I got to try it before it ran out!

Hit the Terminus today...

Started off with the classic S+W Pacific Ale… never disappoints.
Moved on to Murray's IPA, can't remember the name - but it was 5.6%, little tacker - but with HEAPS of hop flavour - very good for size.
Finished with Deschutes "Black Butte" Porter. A much talked about beer, it was good, a very smooth Porter - kind of smooth like a Stout but with the body (and flavour) of a Porter… very nice, but not "blow me away" amazing.

Should also add, last night I finished off with Murray's "Big Wednesday" IPA… wow!
SMACKS you across your face with fruity, citrusy, awesome hop flavour… impressive. Very good beer. Not sessionable for me, but I definitely recommend you throw this in your arsenal if you can.

I had a tasting session of Coopers Pale Ale schooners and half a carton of Bundy Rum Cans or black rats as I like to call them. Yay!

Damn u city folk with your massive choice of beers.

These just arrived for The GoldCLUBs "My Dream Beer" thing we just put together...put together a small list (5 beers) and voted on them over a small time period and these two tied in votes so they were both bought :D

DSC_0072.JPG

Nice clean ale with with a subtle citrus hop aroma with malty finish.. At least I think >.<

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1396949343.106014.jpg

Wilkens

tmp_20140408_1819221861227605.jpg

So sue me.

On hols and picked this up at Dans for a dollar fifty a can.

Surprisingly drinkable. Initially a smooth almost whisky like malt you get from Bud or Millers then instead of the short finish of most USA brews there is a firm bitterness.

Obviously they were told to put in some isohop for the VB drinker. However with none of the mouse piss you get in many Oz mains it sort of works.

Bribie G said:
attachicon.gif
tmp_20140408_1819221861227605.jpg

So sue me.

On hols and picked this up at Dans for a dollar fifty a can.

Surprisingly drinkable. Initially a smooth almost whisky like malt you get from Bud or Millers then instead of the short finish of most USA brews there is a firm bitterness.

Obviously they were told to put in some isohop for the VB drinker. However with none of the mouse piss you get in many Oz mains it sort of works.
Who would have thought to pair it with hot cross buns!

Spiesy said:
gallery_23808_1168_123200.jpg

#3 Dogfish Head 'Palo Santo Marron' Brown Ale (2014)

Good Lord. Brown Ale? More like double imperial brown ale (if that style exists?) - this big f*cker weighs in at 12% alc/vol!
Wish I had looked at the potency of this feller when I'd organised tonights "tasting" session. I thought it was just a US Brown Ale.

Interesting write up on the bottle…
"An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented BROWN ALE aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this ale comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were created…"

Initial aroma was pretty amazing. Upon pouring it, I thought I was getting banana. On closer inspection, I must admit, I'm not sure exactly what the aroma is… but I like it (other than the alcohol which is noticeable). Smells a tiny bit vanilla - without the sweetness, but with alcohol in the background.
The flavour/taste is impressive. For a 12% beer, it hides the alcohol - which I always rate as a good quality (want to taste alcohol, drink vodka!). You know the alcohol's there, and there's a fair bit of malt sweetness afoot, as well as some mildly roasted malt.

A wonderfully complex beer that is sure to play havoc with the rest of my "tasting" session. Lol.
To be honest, I'd probably prefer it with a little less alcohol. For what it
is, nicely balanced. 8.5/10
That vanilla could be the barrel it was aged in - oak barrels give vanilla flavour to wine

and they're very big 'barrels'!

great beer, loved it last time I had it. Got a stubbie in the fridge... waiting... beckoning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEciC3Q5k14

Back