Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ That is a photo of
Matilda Bays Abbey Collaby 2013
India Red Rye Rauch Rye-less Ale

bum said:
Was just making a joke. Your point about the price seems fair to me.
Even if you were serious, it still seems a fair idea. How many times is something shipped somewhere else to go back to near its origin. If I were to post a letter to the same suburb, it goes to Hobart to come back here. So I took it seriously with that in mind.

Laughed at the joke and my taking it seriously. :)

Standard winter commercial beer for me
image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg
Brewdog Tokyo Rising Sun highland cask aged 13.2% imperial stout
Holy fluk ! It's a beast of a thing . The description on the label is very accurate :)

Mountain Goat / Brooklyn Brewery colaboration, Hopfweizenbock.

Good beer ! Late Galaxy hops merge quite well with the Weiss yeast they apparently used. There's a fruity, peppery thing going on here.

There's also a hint of choc malt and then a bit of banana and pepper at the end.

Finishes dry.

You beat me to it by a matter of minutes...

View attachment 63707

Not hugely bitter as Pratty has said, however smooth and easy to drink. Subtle hint of watermelon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.2 KB
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Brewdog Tokyo Rising Sun highland cask aged 13.2% imperial stout
Holy fluk ! It's a beast of a thing . The description on the label is very accurate :)
Hope you had a cigar with that one.

Danwood said:

Good beer ! Late Galaxy hops merge quite well with the Weiss yeast they apparently used. There's a fruity, peppery thing going on here.

There's also a hint of choc malt and then a bit of banana and pepper at the end.

Finishes dry.
I had that one at the brewery and got HUGE banana. . .. that sounds a bit rude. Obviously very yeast driven, but good amount of late hop too.
Grabbed a takeaway bottle, but was disappointed with it - little to no banana, low hop aroma, much more bitterness.
Best fresh I guess

practicalfool said:
Drinking this year's southern harvest. Better than last year's. Still not a shadow on the northern hemisphere harvest. I don't think the ya is yet know how to handle kiwi hops.
What do you mean by not knowing how to handle kiwi hops? How would you do it different?

Not having a go, just curious if people think about using different region hops in different ways as a rule?

I've not used a lot of NZ hops but I have found they come out pretty muted when I use them as I would most US varieties. I need a bit more late to get the same level of hop prominence. That's me in my brewery, YMMV.

This may not be what practicalfool is referring to and I'm certainly not suggesting that SN are prone to taking my "suck it and see" approach to recipe design.

Danwood said:

Finishes dry.
I chopped one of these at the Gertrude Hotel today (I'm still loving their complete tap turnover to craft beer). It's like a kind of IPA with plenty of Munich malt and Galaxy hops, fermented with a German wheat yeast. Worked for me, great drop.

In Canberra for work this week.
Luckily I have just found a neat little Belgian bar 100m from my motel.
1B419981-005A-4C4F-88D8-669872C5E6C6-4753-0000059D04FAF43B_zps5d7161de.jpg

Nice brune to start the night.
There lambic selection starts at Floris and ends at Timmermans :( no oude which makes me sad.

Now how to convince the boss to pick up the bill.

Back