Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbour has to rush to china for a family emergency and thus needs someone to look after his chickens for a week or two. I obliged so he sent over some beer to say thankyou.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Smells exactly like pasito. God knows how they make it but I'm struggling to work it out. I can't pick a single malt, hop or anything. Has a funny lychee, melon type sweetness to it. Theres peach flavour as well. Don't think I'll be rushing over to find out where he got it. Real nice of him to send them over tho.

It'd be great to know whats in it!

Schreckenskammer Kölsch in Köln.
This is a ripper beer. Best thing is, they keep the beers coming once you've finished your stange only until you place a coaster on top if the glass. It took me 5 beers to realise. I'm not complaining though!

image.jpg

image.jpg
Williams bros brewing (Scotland) Kelpie seaweed ale 4.4%
Brewed with Bladder Rack (local fresh seaweed) , which they say they use in the mash .

At the Pumphouse in Sydney. Mrs warra is shopping, so I've snuck down here.
Tried Murrays Whale Ale. Nice enough, but doesn't really push my buttons.
Thunderbolt Strong Ale is a nice beer, but not anything I could not duplicate, with all due modesty.
I am impressed with Rivetside's Amber Ale. Terrific beer, excellent malt and more than enough hops to satisfy my palate.
No photos, as I'm posting on my smart phone.
Worth the visit for the choice of beers. Good to see a list of beers beyond lager after lager...

northside novice said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Williams bros brewing (Scotland) Kelpie seaweed ale 4.4%
Brewed with Bladder Rack (local fresh seaweed) , which they say they use in the mash .

Any reason for the seaweed or is it a marketing gimmick?

I think I read somewhere on here about old recipes that used meat and other strange ingredients as a yeast nutrient. Could this be the case with the seaweed?
Maybe it just provides a salty, ocean type character. I have read descriptions of scotch that listed seaweed as one of the flavour components, so maybe they were going for something like this?

this is their reason;

"Prior to the 1850's Scottish coastal alehouses brewed with local malted barley, grown in fields fertilised by seaweed. This environment gave the barley a very specific flavour which we recreate by the inclusion of fresh seaweed in the mash tun. A rich dark chocolate ale, which has the aroma of a fresh Scottish sea breeze and a distinctive malty texture."

I am not sure I got any 'seaweed' flavour , but it was really nice , balanced and unusually refreshing for a dark ale .

Not so much what's in the glass but what's in the cheap plastic cup.

Tried a JS Golden Ale from a tap king today. Super sweet and very average. Wouldn't waste my money on the beer. They certainly have picked a bunch of shitty beers to go with. The system itself was pretty cool though. Would be quite easy to reuse the bottles as growlers as they are a decent size. I suspect you should be able to fill them up with your own beer and dispense over a night eg party etc.

lukiferj said:
Not so much what's in the glass but what's in the cheap plastic cup.

Tried a JS Golden Ale from a tap king today. Super sweet and very average. Wouldn't waste my money on the beer. They certainly have picked a bunch of shitty beers to go with. The system itself was pretty cool though. Would be quite easy to reuse the bottles as growlers as they are a decent size. I suspect you should be able to fill them up with your own beer and dispense over a night eg party etc.
I know bribie uses 2L aldi soft drink bottles for storing beer when glass isn't available. Do you reckon filling one of these things with home brew would work? Would you be able to use flat beer filtered and charge up with co2 from the system.

I'm not you could use the system to carbonate beer. Not sure how tight the lid would seal on it and it's also an unusual size. Could possibly create some kind of adapter similar to a carbonation cap for pet bottles. Should be able to dispense already carbonated beer though.

surly said:
I think I read somewhere on here about old recipes that used meat and other strange ingredients as a yeast nutrient. Could this be the case with the seaweed?
Maybe it just provides a salty, ocean type character. I have read descriptions of scotch that listed seaweed as one of the flavour components, so maybe they were going for something like this?
Its got a high mineral and iodine content, so I'm guessing that some of that would carry through - depending on how much was actually used in the mash.

Liberty C!tra and Chouffe Houblon Dobbelen IPA Tripel. Just a quiet night while the missus is due to drop

No pic but I had a couple of 4 Pines Keller door el dorado IPAs for lunch today. Lovely beer. Deep amber, solid bitterness and plenty of body.. And of course packed with hop flavour and aroma - my first experience of el dorado hops an I loved it. Kind of like honey dew melon with bit of other things going on but that was the prominent flavour

Back