Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definatley get the Convict - Aussie Strong Ale, brilliant beer from gage roads.

Can i also recommend the Mountain Goat Rare Breed - Fancy Pants Amber Ale, its on the shelves at Murphys. If you love beer this amber ale is perfect!

Had the Mountain Goat Rare Breed Fancy Pants (or fanta pants) Amber a couple of weeks ago, before the Big Bogan bottle-o at Shearwater decided to fill the rest of their fridges with more bogan beer and jettison the good range of craft beer that once occupied the same place.

Great beer. I was expecting a more malt driven slightly hoppy beer (as ambers are technically supposed to be) and got a nice APA (like i'd make, not how the brewers sell them) with an amber colour, a bit more body and mouthfeel, lots of good aroma and enough bitterness to stop it getting sweet.

Nom nom. I also got it for $8 a bottle.

+1 For both the Fancy Pants and Gage Roads The Convict.

Fancy pants is great, less body and malt presence than I expected also, great hoppy aroma and taste though with a decent bitterness.

The Convict blew me away, in part cause it's made by Gage Roads. Not a fan of any of their beers, but loved it, and enjoyed it more as it warmed which IMO is a hallmark of a well made big beer.

I was dissapointed by the GR Abstinence,
to me just smells and tastes of cheap chocolate syrup
the Convict was great

Cracked this treat open last night. So light and spritzy, more like wine/champagne than beer, cherry taste was lovely and subdued in the funk. Little acid but not too much So quoffable and so more-ish! Could drink this every day! Only had the one bottle alas, bottled 2012.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7243]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7245]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7244]

Hightail Fancy Pants Amber Ale, procured from that house of fine ales Uncle Dan's at Ballina

8624234360_fa344916f3.jpg

Nice beer. Super clear, C hop aroma, nice caramel malt with a touch of roast. Carb is a touch low for this style which brings out a hint of sweetness. Body is on the thinner end as well.

Had the fancy pants ale last night too. Fantastic, really enjoyed it then had one of my beers and realized just how much scope for improvement my beers have :rolleyes:

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:7247]

This is a pic from the rugby a few weeks ago (Harlequins vs Bath). I went for a Grand Slam which had a touch of caramel and a hint of citrus coming through. Nice enough on a cold day, but probably should've gone the Abbot Ale which generally has a bit more flavour going on.

hsb said:
Could drink this every day! Only had the one bottle alas, bottled 2012.
Mate couldn't we all!
Stock up when you can and rationalise. Most of the bottles will appreciate the time aging anyway.
Sitting on many of belgo sours atm.
Quite proud of myself really.
Its great to pull one out when entertaining of just in need of a delicous beer!

HHud3au.jpg

Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Picked this up from G&G the other day when I was picking up a grain bill for the three shades of stout recipe.

I don't like it. I like stout, but just not this. But now I'm terrified I've just brewed 23 litres of something nobody will enjoy!

I'm with you mate, a lot of people rave about it but it was a little too much for me. That said i'm not the biggest of dark beer drinkers by a long shot

It was a whole pint of 'Meh' the last time I had it.

Econwatson said:
Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Picked this up from G&G the other day when I was picking up a grain bill for the three shades of stout recipe.

I don't like it. I like stout, but just not this. But now I'm terrified I've just brewed 23 litres of something nobody will enjoy!
The 3 Shades is nothing like the Young's Double Choc.

I love the 3 Shades stout.

WarmBeer said:
The 3 Shades is nothing like the Young's Double Choc.

I love the 3 Shades stout.
That's good to hear mate!

Could you compare it to anything so I could at least get an idea of what it's gonna taste like? Just stuck it in the fermenter. Hope it turns out OK! G&G was out of European Ale yeast so I pitched Windsor instead. Hope it is a suitable substitute!

Picked up a bottle of the new Little Creatures "Shepherds Delight" red IPA - I'm liking it, but it's not my favourite of their small batches (The Quiet American was). It's well balanced & I'll defo go again.

image.jpg

Knee Deep Simtra, 8 Wired iStout, Stone Sublimely Self Righteous, Firestone Walker Wookie Jack, Oaked Arrogant ******* and Ballast Point Double Dorado at the ready. Not a bad little stash I'd say :beer:

I'm trying to get out of my comfort zone and try new beer so I took a trip to Dan's this evening and picked up the following: (I'm expecting a torrent of abuse concerning my glass, and it is pretty horrible!)

Dundee IPA:
Aj8TwE8.jpg

This was alright. It had a nice aroma, and a grapefruity kind of finish that clings to your mouth afterwards and reminds you of when you tried grapefruit when you were like 5 or 6 and hated it, but it still brings back memories of being 6. I admit that I chose this one because of the name and a little pang of pride for the "City of Discovery". But it probably has too much in common with driving through this city. It's alright for a start, but the more time you spend, the more you want to get it over with.

Coronado Orange Avenue Wit:
yFNzZvH.jpg

I enjoyed this one. It had a really zesty aroma to it, definitely orange. It tasted good too, it has a spicy sort of taste on the lips, and kind of has a tea-ish sort of taste, really good.

Ballast Point Big Eye IPA:
ehsBAbD.jpg

I'm sure you all know what is tastes like. It was the first time I had tried it anyway, I really liked it! Would drink it again!

winkle said:
Agreed, bit of a train wreck - The Convict Australian Strong Ale is a better bet.
Had one of these last night, what a great beer.

Anyone got a suggestion for what sort of yeast they might use in that ?

Latest posts

Back