Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently really really really enjoying a Vale IPA from the Maclaren vale beer people. Who ever these people are I salute them for making such a damn fine beer :icon_cheers:

practicalfool said:
4 pines pale ale. Have been avoiding buying pales for a while, but this one was awesome! Proved aussie craftbreweries can make some amazing pale! Not just boring near bland malt water.
A big F.U. to you P.K., that's the last of any credibility you've built in my book...

Just got home from a week in Byron Bay, and on my first night bought a 6 pack of the 4 Pines Pale Ale solely on the recommendations in this thread. Bah! Under-attenuated, lacking hop aroma, malty, piss-water. Reminded me of my really early attempts at a Pale Ale using extract. Left 2 stubbies from the 6 pack in the fridge upon vacating the premises this morning, this act alone sincerely summarises my opinion of this beer.

Edit: Speeling and grandma

Drinking a Hop Bazooka from Southern Bay Brew Co. I've been steering away from overly hoppy beers lately & drinking a lot of yeast driven beer, but this one is cracking. Citra, Galaxy and Stella hops according to the bottle - I was worried about balance, but it's doing well. Pours cloudy with a very enthusiastic head, silky mouthfeel & the initial taste is all peaches. Maybe I've been missing the hops!!

image.jpg

WarmBeer said:
Just got home from a week in Byron Bay, and on my first night bought a 6 pack of the 4 Pines Pale Ale solely on the recommendations in this thread. Bah! Under-attenuated, lacking hop aroma, malty, piss-water. Reminded me of my really early attempts at a Pale Ale using extract. Left 2 stubbies from the 6 pack in the fridge upon vacating the premises this morning, this act alone sincerely summarises my opinion of this beer.
I had their stout after reading similar positive reviews. Did not bother to try the pale afterwards.

I tried their Hefe at my local bottleo a couple of weeks ago. The guy offering samples thought it was made with actual bananas, but beyond that it was pretty great

holgate millenium falcon. hides its10% really well but the good stuff ends there.Despite the hundred ibu claim im getting nothing like that, no biggie for me as i prefer a less bitter beer but the hop flavours and aromas are also sadly lacking.The real dissapointment for me though is a slick mouthfeel and butterscotch taste that only comes from diacatyl and the warmer it gets the worse it is.Ive never had a bad beer from these guys before which makes it a bit harder to swallow especially on a beer that cost as much as this.

holgate.jpg

Have moved onto a bottle of Le Petit Tronc by Southern Bay Brew Co - It's a saison but apparently is brewed with English and Belgian malts. It's not as highly carbed as I'm used to, lots of fruit and citrus and a very pleasant tartness in the finish. Noice!!

Edit: added photo - I love the label too.image.jpg

BEERHOG said:
holgate millenium falcon. hides its10% really well but the good stuff ends there.Despite the hundred ibu claim im getting nothing like that, no biggie for me as i prefer a less bitter beer but the hop flavours and aromas are also sadly lacking.The real dissapointment for me though is a slick mouthfeel and butterscotch taste that only comes from diacatyl and the warmer it gets the worse it is.Ive never had a bad beer from these guys before which makes it a bit harder to swallow especially on a beer that cost as much as this.
I had it on tap last night and it smelled amazing but it is a proper dog of a beer.

WarmBeer said:
A big F.U. to you P.K., that's the last of any credibility you've built in my book... Just got home from a week in Byron Bay, and on my first night bought a 6 pack of the 4 Pines Pale Ale solely on the recommendations in this thread. Bah! Under-attenuated, lacking hop aroma, malty, piss-water. Reminded me of my really early attempts at a Pale Ale using extract. Left 2 stubbies from the 6 pack in the fridge upon vacating the premises this morning, this act alone sincerely summarises my opinion of this beer. Edit: Speeling and grandma
Handling?!

I'd have to go for seconds and try again. Must say I approach Aussie pales with trepidation and was surprised it was that good. To be quite honest, I have not had had a problem beer due to handling from dan's since moving to qld... Read in that what you may... Point, LC pale ale, always tasted metallic every time in melb, never had a problem up here. Something is up...

two standouts from last night ,

beer towel 002 (768x1024).jpg

oude gueuze tilquin 6.4%
wow ..... very very nice, i am really enjoying the lambic beers at the moment .

beer towel 004 (768x1024).jpg

yalumba 1980 vintage port
double :icon_drool2: smooth as silk

thats the way it was served to me from the owner of the bottle, a very well respected port connoisseur/drinker .... he said the melting ice really helps to get the best flavours out of the older vintages? I tried it with and without and couldnt really tell a difference

practicalfool said:
Handling?!

I'd have to go for seconds and try again. Must say I approach Aussie pales with trepidation and was surprised it was that good. To be quite honest, I have not had had a problem beer due to handling from dan's since moving to qld... Read in that what you may... Point, LC pale ale, always tasted metallic every time in melb, never had a problem up here. Something is up...
Possibly.

However, no such issues with the 6-pack of LCPA that was sitting in the fridge right next door to it. Up to it's usual high standards (imho).

As detailed in my post in the "Decent bottle shops in Nsw/Qld border" thread, there was no shortage of alternatives, if you shop at the right bottlo.

Gage Roads Abstinence Belgian Dubbel Chocolate Ale.

I saw the name of the beer and my review was immediately composed. Unfortunately it isn't god-awful so I can't use it.

That's not to say it is great, either. I'm not a big Belgian buff but it seems hotter than the style should be. There's a generic Belgian ester thing going on, couldn't say what type of esters but there's nothing specific a n00b like me can pick up - wouldn't say it seems especially fruity. Made with real chocolate, apparently. You can smell milk chocolate and taste it more and more as it gets warm. Dunno if it actually uses milk chocolate or not but the aroma doesn't seem to have any roastiness from grain. Gorgeous colour. Seems much thinner than other dubbels I've had in the past but it has more body than the average Gage Roads offering.

Might be a good "gateway" Belgian? Probably not one to impress those experienced in the style though.

newestly 001 (768x1024).jpg :wub:
haand bryggeriet dark force reserva, aged on oak 9%
fark me , its black as, strong as, dank as and i cant stop drinking it .
i do prefer the normal dark force(double extreme imperial wheat stout 9%) but there is some sort of a challenge chewing through this big mofo of a brew. i think i will be in love with it by the time i finish it.

so many aromas and flavours , vanilla ,dark chocolate, coffee , dried dark fruit flavours, and oily liquorice,, grape, dark rich chocolate biterness , coffee bean stewed fruit touch in the finish , aftertastes of rich malts and bitter wheat and fruit vanilla dates , and a big oak lingeringness

MOA St Joseph's Belgian Tripel. Have had this in the fridge for weeks waiting for a mate to drop around and share (along with a Saison Dupont). He's taking too bloody long, so down she goes. What a great drop. Strong, dark and chewy caramel.

IMG-20130323-00201.jpg

005 (765x1024).jpg

brooklyn brewery sorachi ace saison 7.6%
fermented with belgium yeast and bottle fermented with champagne yeast dry hoped with sorachi ace hops .

brewer says 'bright spicy lemon zest aroma, it tastes like sunshine in a glass', i agree , its flupping luberly :icon_drool2:

yummmmmmy 001 (765x1024).jpg

boon oude kriek 6.5%

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Oude Kriek Boon is one of the finest examples of the 100% spontaneous fermentation fruit-Lambic style. 400 g of wild cherries per litre are fermented together with a blend of young and old Boon Lambic that has been aged in oak casks. After clarification, the Oude kriek is bottled and refermented. It is unsweetened, unfiltered, unpasteurised and has no artificial flavourings, preservatives or colourings added. Brewed in Lembeek, the village that gave Lambic its name.

very nice , fantastic ruby rich colour , superb cherry twang , full foamy mouthfeel , and a sour sorbet like aftertaste ..... mmm yum

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb 001 (768x1024).jpg

green flash le freak 9.2%

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Le Freak is a modern ale created by converging two beer styles, Belgian Trippel and American Imperial IPA. The use of two yeast strains further marries the styles and American hops give the beer its modern flare

finding it hard to type. but this is very good. smells amazing, and tastes great but dont think its living up to the imperial ipa hoppynessnes
i was hoping for,, more a ipa hoppynes.

but i am loving the belgium background track to the hoppy action car chase though :icon_drunk:

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb 003.JPG

north coast le merle saison 7.9%

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
A rustic ale, pale in color, inspired by the rich brewing traditions of the Flanders region. Abundant hops and a Belgian yeast strain contribute exotic aromas af tropical fruit.

am shit faced , does taste good, very nice colour , subtle aroma , funky funk funk munk B)

Back