Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuatara / beer here waimea 'hop cat ' 4.7%
Bloody luberly , so much flavour for the low alc , solid amber/reddish hue colour , guess it smells like waimea ? Like a torpedo but not as bitter , more smoother but still big mouthful of hoppyness, just under the double ipa mark , seems to slip in between a ipa and a double but still with a lower alc than you would expect ( tastes more like 6-7%) great malty backbone , caramelised sugars are mentioned on the label ,
Waimea ? To me it tastes pine , stone fruity subtle and sweet .
For some reason it reminds me of what fatyak was like off the tap when it first came out but not as dark coloured
Get some if you find it , you will love it :)

Sorry for the crappy foto it doesn't show the great colour of this beer . It's pretty much orange in real life image.jpg

For some reason I'm drawn to this bottle shop.

special.jpg

I suspect the sign behind the counter has something to do with it.

I have been under the house installing some polystyrene sheets before the little one arrives in August (feels like I am about half way under there just buggery cuts to be completed while crawling round on my beer gut)
Rewarded myself with a 330ml scupin, 750ml Double Dorado and Le Freak.

I feel a bit of alc behind the Dorado otherwise it is a cracker.

Sculpin was good for once (not skunked or oxidised) just less hops than fresh in L.A. but still better than usual.

Le Freak. Pretty bloody impressed every time I grab this beer. I am a late convert to the belgian side of things but this gets me right into it every time!

Just had the first and hopefully not the last of Gage Roads Abstinence Chocolate Dubbel.

One of the best beers i've had for a very long time, i could drink this till the cows come home. If i can make a beer this good i'll be very happy, and will be searching for a clone for sure.

Hated the Colonial or whatever it was called (convict ale ) btw and tipped the half glass i couldn't get through out.
Reminded me of what i used to make 30 years ago in my kit and 2 kilo days.

punkin said:
Just had the first and hopefully not the last of Gage Roads Abstinence Chocolate Dubbel.

One of the best beers i've had for a very long time, i could drink this till the cows come home. If i can make a beer this good i'll be very happy, and will be searching for a clone for sure.

Hated the Colonial or whatever it was called (convict ale ) btw and tipped the half glass i couldn't get through out.
Hallelujah! Thank f^&k I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Couldn't drink the Choc Dubbel too often, and def not on a warm afternoon, but put me and a bottle of it in front of a cosy fire, and we're gonna be _real_ good friends.

The Convict just reminded me of... homebrew.

punkin said:

I have a Gage Roads Abstinence Chocolate Dubbel put aside, and am looking forward to trying it. The reports I have happened to read so far, have not been favourable, but I have to admit I have tried many a criticised beer and enjoyed it. I have to admit however, that I did not have a problem with the Convict Ale, and liked it enough to purchase another.

As they say with wine, a good one is one that you enjoy yourself.

WarmBeer said:
The Convict just reminded me of... homebrew.
I dunno. I wasn't terribly impressed but mine smelled nice and the alc was very well hidden. If you don't like beer and want to get pissed as fast as possible then The Convict might be a good choice.

I think they are both decent beers. A good step up for Gage Roads and we should all be commending them, hoping this will help them step up their game.

Well I have just had a GR The Convict and did not enjoy it one bit. Bad news is I bought 2 bottles as I cleared the shelves at Dans with the last Bigeye IPA they had in stock.

Drinking a GR Dubbel at the moment. Certainly has kick! Can't help but feel that they've chosen the wrong type of beer to put chocolate and coffee in to. The chocolate aroma and flavour is nice but then when the beer itself kicks in it ruins it. Makes me want to chuck real chocolate into a brown porter though!

Brakspear Bitter, double dropped.

Gushed a little on opening, can taste the goldings. Nice bit of bitterness.

Distinct hit of diacetyl - worth tasting if you're wondering what diacetyl tastes like. OK, wouldn't buy again unless it was on draught in the UK where I bet the flavours are a lot more balanced. At only 3.4%, I can't imagine the bottled version travels well.

2013-04-17 17.21.17.jpg

My selection from last night :lol: joking!!! The VB was payment for a fridge but the Fancy Pants went down a treat and of course the Pilsner Urquell was amazing as usual

image.jpg
Dogfish head 90 min iipa 9%
Constant 90 minutes of hop additions in the boil of uk malt . Then dry hopped .

Noice , has lost aroma I think but so smooth and tingly , holds the 9% tidily . So glad to have finally tried this beast , and it is living up to expectations , even if its in Brisbane tonight , a long way from the time and place this bottle would have been in its prime .
First dogfish head beer I have tried and I can only say all the bullshit they carry on with is backed up by the quality of this beer. Is it the best iipa ? No chance . Is it very drinkable and enjoyable , fuk yair ! I would put it up there with Pretty much all of the quality USA iipa's that have taken over the world in the last couple of years . And our own too.. Feral , Murray 's and the likes .

ParrotDog Bitter Bitch. Great sessionable beer with a hint of whole/maybe wet hoppage but definite lingering bitterness. 5.8% does the trick!

northside novice said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
Dogfish head 90 min iipa 9%
Constant 90 minutes of hop additions in the boil of uk malt . Then dry hopped .

Noice , has lost aroma I think but so smooth and tingly , holds the 9% tidily . So glad to have finally tried this beast , and it is living up to expectations , even if its in Brisbane tonight , a long way from the time and place this bottle would have been in its prime .
First dogfish head beer I have tried and I can only say all the bullshit they carry on with is backed up by the quality of this beer. Is it the best iipa ? No chance . Is it very drinkable and enjoyable , fuk yair ! I would put it up there with Pretty much all of the quality USA iipa's that have taken over the world in the last couple of years . And our own too.. Feral , Murray 's and the likes .
Where did you find this?

image.jpg
Mikkeller spontaneous (spontanale) 5.3%
Wow really nice funk , really nice up front but a little puffy and deflated on the after taste, almost metallic but I have had a few varied drinks befor hand and also partook in the whole gay marriage thread which is only going to leave a salty taste in your mouth ;-)

anyway,, not a very good lambic, have had much better. think they rushed it , aftertaste is not what I am used to from a quality ly aged geueze .

tad harsh. nice up front but no keeper/kicker

Silly Saison at the Belgian beer cafe in Canberra. Still warming it up, initial taste is perfect.
Nice beer menu too, I could be one a regular :)

Back