Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a few today.

6 Pack of Kooinda Black IPA because it was delicious :D

Epic Pale ale

and a Moon Dog Henry Ford's Girthsome Fjord -

Really enjoyed the Moon dog, was like a mashup of an IPA, stout, brown ale all I know is it was damn tasty! will buy more for sure.

View attachment 51545

The label tells me this beer is based on Captain Cooks recipe as brewed in 1773 at Dusky Sound New Zealand. Apparently using Spruce and Tea Tree.

I'm loving this beer, any others BM members tried it yet?.

Batz

Loved it too Batz, so did the BiL, and he's usually more of a lager type, although our recent holiday may have converted him (we drank my whole BM box, and 30 tallies of my HB)

hi mate,
got 3 of them in the BeerMasons box I got from my prettier half for Christmas.

http://www.beermasons.com.au/how-it-works

thanks
Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn. Same place I got it, but they don't have any Bison beers on their own for sale. :( Was hoping you'd found an importer somewhere.

What I did on vacation.

Will be having a crack at this in the near future. Lovely.

That ring pull top proved to be a real time saver the day I left my bottle opener in the car at the beach.

macs_hop_rocker_435.png

What I did on vacation.
Will be having a crack at this in the near future. Lovely.
That ring pull top proved to be a real time saver the day I left my bottle opener in the car at the beach.

macs_hop_rocker_435.png

Well made beer IMO. For a pils it actually has some hop flavour. Maybe 'not to style' but I reckon that makes it better.

More today. Its been a good beer week haha.

First up was a Timothy Taylor Landlord -

Was a nice beer, im generally not a fan of the style but heard good things so gave it a go. Actually enjoyed it a fair bit.

Next was a 4 Pines Kolsch -

Not really a fan.. not sure if it had handling issues like others have said but not much to say about it, pretty bland.

Thennn 4 Pines Stout -

The stout was a nice surprise after the Kolsch, really roasty, chocolatey and yum.

Now I am having a Wells Banana Bread Beer -

Wow, it really tastes of banana bread.. not an outstanding beer but a worthwhile experience! Really interesting beer. First sips were a bit too much and didnt think I liked it.. but then after a little more im enjoying it

I love the banana bread beer, I've gotten my Dunkelweizen to the point where it tastes quite similar, but with more malt complexity. A mate of mine in sydney loves the shit, he goes out and buys a banana cake every time I send him a few bottles :lol:

I love the banana bread beer, I've gotten my Dunkelweizen to the point where it tastes quite similar, but with more malt complexity. A mate of mine in sydney loves the shit, he goes out and buys a banana cake every time I send him a few bottles :lol:

Oh man, I can see how that would be awesome! Would be pretty hard to balance the banana flavour, do you actually use banana or just the yeast flavours?

Wishing we had some bananas around.. wanting some banana bread like your mate haha.

Oh man, I can see how that would be awesome! Would be pretty hard to balance the banana flavour, do you actually use banana or just the yeast flavours?

Wishing we had some bananas around.. wanting some banana bread like your mate haha.

Mmm I have a wheat beer in the fermeter right now, think I'll mush hop it with some banana mush!

It's all about the yeast. Wyeast 3068 at 21-22c will give you enough banana for you to think there were actual bananas in there. I've just got a few vials out to get a starter ready tomorrow, ya'll making me thirsty

It's all about the yeast. Wyeast 3068 at 21-22c will give you enough banana for you to think there were actual bananas in there. I've just got a few vials out to get a starter ready tomorrow, ya'll making me thirsty
Do you think they throw less banana with successive generations? I have top cropped and washed and don't get near the amount of banana as the fresh pack did. I used 3638. Might be time to get a new pack and split it? I gave it one more go with slightly underpitching and brewing at 22oC - it is not bananary yet (but to be fair isn't showing cloves either).

Then I guess I'm fortunate enough not to have had Brisbane Bitter.
I don't think I could have distinguished this from New or Draught.. or whatever.. same old same old. Perfectly appropriate drinkable boring beer to smash down while watching the cricket!

Yukon Brewing Birch Marzen.

Apparently birch sap is not too dissimilar from maple syrup and to me, that's what the overriding flavour was. Very sweet malt aroma mixed with some caramel.

Flavour was nice, probably not as malty as I would like a marzen to be and not as dry and crisp a finish but definitely an enjoyable beer.

birchmarzen.jpg

Last night I had the Holgate Road Trip IPA. While the beer was otherwise OK, it was absolutely dripping with diacetyl, as in I could smell it from a foot away as it was being handed to me. I did finish a pint, but it was a struggle.

Cracked this on New Years...
2009 Crown Ambassador that my wife picked up for $40 at Vintage Cellars a few years back.

Absolutely lovely!
Rich maltiness, some toffee in there. Dangerously balanced for a big beer.

(Yes I know the photo is largely of the bottle but things got a little messy after this...)

View attachment 51736

Had this beer with an excellent cheese platter at the Scratch Bar, Milton
Absolutely lovely.
India Saison, collaboration beer between Bridge Rd and Ngne
Lots of clean malt, some fruity hops and spicy character in there.
Really enjoyed this beer.

View attachment 51737

Sorry, no pics, because I'm still recovering from holiday mode:

Last night I tried a bottle of Shepherd Neame Bishops Finger and was underwhelmed. Nothing "wrong" with it, but I had hoped for something "better". I followed that with a stubbie of SN "Tumbler", Autumn brown ale. I did enjoy that, been liking the brown ales lately.

Tonight, I just finished a bottle of Theakston "Old Peculier" and I really enjoyed that. A big mouthful of flavour, lovely mahogany colour, and a nice persistant head. Now I'm drinking a North Coast Brewing "Acme" California IPA, and it's a ripper! Reminds me of a SN Torpedo, and thats a very nice beer.

Latest posts

Back