Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great beer! Cheers Ledgenko. You petal.

109_1335.JPG

Ive had quite a few Murrays beers before, some off tap, more bottles, all have been great.
After all the gusher talk i thought i would give the Angry Man a go today seeing i was nearer the big smoke.

IMG_9185.jpg

Im about to send an email to them as this is not normal.
The beer looks blurry because of the crazy amount of bubbles.
Tastes of nothing, bland and fizzy with some kind of twang about it.
Best before: 23 / 10 / 12
purchased from Dan the man.

Makes me a little bit angry man, having to tip beer and all.

Has anybody ever not had a ******* gusher from Murray's?

Ive not had a gusher as yet but i did get a quite expensive bottle of heart of darkness i think it was.... and it was flat.

I get some angry man a few weeks back from dans here and it was fine.

Well trip to Archive tonight was My Wife's Bitter, Moo Brew Saison, Sunshine Coast Rauchbier, Sunshine Coast Rye ESB and Bridge Road Bling IPA. Followed by Mikkeller Single Hop IPA's Summit and Simcoe.

Moo Brew Saison: Dry, salty, acidic and lovely. Could drink a shiteload of these.

Rauchbier: Bacon.....bacon... Got over it after the first few sips. Well made but not my thing.

Rye ESB: Smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel. Spicy bitterness and great finish.

Bling IPA: All about the hops. Great IPA.

Single Hop Summit: Resiny. High alpha of this hop plus aroma potential makes it a serious contender in future brews.

Single Hop Simcoe: HUGE passionfruit. Just when I thought Pacific Ale was passionfruit this came along. First experience of raw Simcoe......WOW. Love this hop. As a single hop through an IPA.....faultless. Will look at throwing both the Summit and Simcoe as single hops through my Black ale to see what's what.

Ive had quite a few Murrays beers before, some off tap, more bottles, all have been great.
After all the gusher talk i thought i would give the Angry Man a go today seeing i was nearer the big smoke.

View attachment 51825

Damn shame. Hear about this alot too...doesn't help a reputation.
Never had any problems personally, (living 30km from the Brewery might help) but off tap certainly seems the way to go for their range, particularly for the more session orientated beers (Angry Man/Rude Boy/Whale Ale/Punch & Judy). Just a shame it's not that widely available.

fair enough cobber, i've probably just got bush envy..

My wife says the same thing, Yardy!

:icon_offtopic: That bush is awesome. I would love to have the patience and devotion to look after one of them. I have always loved Japanese gardens and there architecture.

Do you have more then 1?

Thanks mate.
I have about 6. This one is about 7 years old...I have one that is about 15 yrs. It takes so long to get them looking half decent (if training from scratch) and since starting this all grain caper they have been neglected.

Thanks mate.
I have about 6. This one is about 7 years old...I have one that is about 15 yrs. It takes so long to get them looking half decent (if training from scratch) and since starting this all grain caper they have been neglected.

Is that cause your always pissed on good beer or the time it takes to make the beer....or all of the above

View attachment 51825

It isn't like red oak and need's to stay refrigerated does it? This time of the year a lot of the beer comes in out of an extremely hot truck and I'm sure it couldn't help any beer being stored above 30+C..

Had a few sips of this puppy last night, it was swmbo's beer so didn't get to enjoy it as she did. One of the best Stouts I've had IMHO

198c9a95.jpg

You said it mate.

I was really impressed with how dry it was, but still extremely malty, and the tart/sourness wasn't over the top. I love a good Lambic but struggle to have more than one glass. This I could drink all night, excellently well balance beer

You may wish to reconsider how reputable they are.
This bottle i got from Archive, from their cold room. The other beers i've had gushers out of were from Era about 12months back and from Nectar, shortly before they closed down. All beers were refrigerated when purchased and then straight into a fridge at home.

All of the above places are/were considered the best places to buy beer in Brisbane, that have a great reputation fro handling their product. I've bought numerous beers (+30?) from these outlets over the last 2 years adn had 4 gushers in that time, 3 from Murray's and 1 from Kaimai. This is the first time i've posted my disappointment, and perhaps could have dialed back the pissed off nature of the post.

I had nothing but gushing Murrays from Uncle Dan (to the point where I couldn't understand why people rated the brewery so highly). Then I started buying them from Slowbeer and Purvis and haven't had a gusher since. Magnificent beers from a magnificent brewery.

I'm in the same boat. I've heard really good things about the beers, when in good condition. But equally I've heard many stories of disappointment upon presentation of gushing beers.

I'll continue to seek out their beer as i'm really keen to support what they do and sample what they have on offer. I just think from now on, i'll be inspecting the bottle prior to purchase (there was thick black sediment in the bottle) and be prepared for possible issues.

To add to the discussion, i emailed Shawn and had a response this morning. He seems as disappointed as me in the way the beer presented. I believe they are working hard to ensure that their beers get to us in the best condition possible. He has also generously offered to send a replacement Icon 2IPA when the next batch is ready. I'm certainly looking forward to trying it in's best condition.

I'm having a similar situation with Murrays Nirvana - slight cidery twang on it. And then I realised they dont even brew it anymore. Its known as angry man. Must have been sold an old 4 pack (although I usually check use-by dates). Will have a look when I get home.

I also got a reply email from Shawn this morning.
Offered to send me replacement beer, which i declined as i don't want to subject a good beer to the trauma of postal service to where i live.

However, this goes to show how they do things at Murrays, they take things like this seriously and are more than willing to engage with the consumer about their product. Unlike many others.

May they continue to make interesting high quality beer.

I was really impressed with how dry it was, but still extremely malty, and the tart/sourness wasn't over the top. I love a good Lambic but struggle to have more than one glass. This I could drink all night, excellently well balance beer

Definitely a lovely drop! I had this very similar beer on tap last week and then was seriously disappointed when I went back sat night when it was gone. Luckily they had it in bottle aswell.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/verhaeghe-duc...bourgogne/6945/
Like I said very similar Flanders style red mixed between barrel aged and not. I think they pull of the style a bit better though. If you see it grab it! Will not disappoint.

Also enjoyed the oaked release of the flying dogs gonzo imperial porter. quite a rich beer and amazing aroma I honestly couldn't take my nose away from the glass!

Sorry no photos haven't worked out how to upload from iPhone. And computers dead.

Latest posts

Back