Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the red angus and the js are prob the worst of the bunch.

but i do hope your JS is better then mine.

:icon_offtopic: but i will give you a small hint to making good Pilsners

Dont use much late hops. It doesnt work

Simple grain bill... 100% pils, lots of low alpha (5% or less) FRESH hops of choice in a 40 min bittering addition. Add maybe 0.5g / L at flame out.

Thats it.

:icon_offtopic: but i will give you a small hint to making good Pilsners

Dont use much late hops. It doesnt work

Simple grain bill... 100% pils, lots of low alpha (5% or less) FRESH hops of choice in a 40 min bittering addition. Add maybe 0.5g / L at flame out.

Thats it.

cheers planning a hallertau pilsner with 100% pils. Cocko has been helping me my recipe and thinks maybe a bit of crystal may give it a bit of backbone (cant remember fully as i got called a right c*nt) the additions are 60, 30 and 15 and maybe a small amount at flame out depending on the aromas given off during the boil.

Pilsner urquell
Kruscovice
Budvar
Trumer

i have got some of these today. i grabbed the trumer and am having it now. quite nice intial taste then a worrying follow through... very clean and crisp beer. i do enjoy it.

I grabbed one from turkey called efes... ******* sucked!! nastier then the JS. i guess when its brewed with rice adjunct.....

very pale colour and bright. No head but i think thats cause my glass my have something to do with it.

The trumer on the other hand shits all over it!

the red angus and the js are prob the worst of the bunch.

but i do hope your JS is better then mine.

No. No it wasn't. Now it tastes like some executive decided a slightly risque moniker would attract a wider market share than a nice hop / malt flavor. I'm sure the old pilsner was much better. It cant be just me.

The angus was particularly disappointing.
Like a bottle of fizzy flavorless carbonic bite.

If there's one factor that drives me to become a better homebrewer, it's the standard of commercial beer.

I had the red angus one night over a nice meal at nicola's in bunbury. wasn't the nice beer to go down with the meal.

I like Red Angus when it's fresh. Nice Nelson Sauvin character...

Skalak-poster_251107.jpg

Skalak Rohozec Pivovar

Not my photo but I am being a heathen and drinking straight from the bottle so it will do.

Drinking it cold too - unlike me but **** it's hot and stinky here today. Czech lagers go down a treat in this weather.

This one is a little like a big glass of creamed corn but I get excited by new beers I haven't tried with labels in different languages. Will probably revert back to zyviec or sambor brok for my next fix though.

NB: Photo shows a 12% version. This one is 5.2 but can't find a decent image anywhere and can't post images on this borrowed work computer.

currently drinking: two metre tall - cleansing ale

not my cup of tea :( Smells of honey on the nose but the has a strange sour bitterness on the palate. Does anyone know if this is normal for this beer?

had a mikeller simcoe yesterday which was delicious. Should've grabbed 2 of them and left this on the shelf.

Yesterdays other find was bridge road india saison on tap at archive. Saison is not normally my style of choice but this one was very drinkable.

Ed

James Squire Pale Ale, yesterday,

disgusting......another JS let down,

did have a JS Porter the other evening, bloody yum, had one with my brother yesterday after a game of golf, he liked it...his first dark beer for many a year.
still the only JS I have enjoyed.

not my cup of tea :( Smells of honey on the nose but the has a strange sour bitterness on the palate. Does anyone know if this is normal for this beer?

Nothing is normal for this brewer. I've been drinking them since my first visit to Tas around the time they started, then once or twice a year when I've come down to visit friends/family, and now I've relocated down here sifted through their range once again and....yeah. They claim with their spiel that as they are using their own malt and hops that "slight" variations in batches may occur, however blatant infections aside, the variation between high and low points leave them averageing pretty poorly in my books. Will Keep on giving them a go, but perhaps they should go back to wine.

Ed
No, and yes
Uninfected, or whatever it is that is happening to them, 2 Metre Tall make some nice beers. I really enjoyed the Cleansing Ale when I had it the first time.
Since then most of their beers I have tried, and I know I'm not alone here, have had a sourness of varying degrees. Without this they are quite nice, and sometimes it has actually worked in the beer too but they've definitely got issues somewhere along the line.
Different venues, even different cities, so unlikely to be retailer issue for example.

Yes, Ashley is a bit "out there" with some of his beers.

I told him I thought it was "unusual" back in 2007 when it was available on handpump in Tassie I guess he sticks to his guns.

Weirdly, though, it kind of grew on me.

This evenings contenders arranged in order of alcomoholicness. Garden variety selection from Dans.

I know I've put the slipper into Squires beers, but this was the pilsner that inspired me to unbalance many a brew with to much saaz. I do like that hop.
We'll see.

DSC07029.jpg

hey Dave, how was the bombardier bitter?

hey Dave, how was the bombardier bitter?

I drank it a to cold really, and thus it was a little on the thin and fizzy side. I think the fruity / malty notes would have been far more pronounced had I given it time to warm a little.
It is after all, a English ale.
I'm giving it three and a half stars (out of a possible five)

That and the Winter ale - though it really hasn't got the balls to be called a doppelbock - were the picks for me.

The Sierra was nothing like the on tap stuff I enjoyed a Lake Tahoe a few years ago. But then again, they were $2 a pint..

speaking of monteiths winter ale - I picked up a carton for $37 this weekend. good deal.
very drinkable, a bit watered down for a bock.

Skalak-poster_251107.jpg

NB: Photo shows a 12% version. This one is 5.2 but can't find a decent image anywhere and can't post images on this borrowed work computer.
This is where it gets a bit confusing with Czech bottled beers. That 12% actually refers to the degrees Plato in the original beer...so around 1.048 in SG.

Confused the living buggery out of me at first, even something like Skalak has an 11%, 12%, and 13%...all quite similar but differently priced.
Shopping for beers in the supermarkets there can be a bit of a nightmare...a cheap nightmare though. ;)

Skalak-poster_251107.jpg

Skalak Rohozec Pivovar

Not my photo but I am being a heathen and drinking straight from the bottle so it will do.

Drinking it cold too - unlike me but **** it's hot and stinky here today. Czech lagers go down a treat in this weather.

This one is a little like a big glass of creamed corn but I get excited by new beers I haven't tried with labels in different languages. Will probably revert back to zyviec or sambor brok for my next fix though.

lol what a pisser....gues what i found last night at a bottlo (hadnt seen your post either manticle)
2012_01_29_18.11.44.jpg

it was my travler. and no i wasnt driving.
i found mine to be very like budvar except a little more maltier with some hitns of dusty malt. not quite as clean. maybe it was more like the kozel lager. perfect temp (I was blown away that they had their beer fridge at a good temp). not a bad little drop IMO. I must have got a better bottle than your mants. went down a treat on the way home after collecting chinese for dinner.

also bought a Hitachino Nest Red Rice Ale. forgot to drink it. will post pics/review when i do.

Had a few of these the other night. Lovely choc porter. Could drink alot of this stuff.

stout-icecream-08.jpg

Back