Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a few of these the other night. Lovely choc porter. Could drink alot of this stuff.

stout-icecream-08.jpg

Agreed, would be my go to beer in winter if it was more readily available out my way.
Need a good clone recipe, maybe you should work on one ? :D

There is a brewing network show which has a holgate beer (can't remember which one now), but they talk alot about the temptress in that...I think. It's one of them Can You Clone It eps

Temptress my daughter even like's it..have to restock the fridge,and was watching merc's menu and he was using holgate ESB

There is a brewing network show which has a holgate beer (can't remember which one now), but they talk alot about the temptress in that...I think. It's one of them Can You Clone It eps

it was the nut brown ale .

This is where it gets a bit confusing with Czech bottled beers. That 12% actually refers to the degrees Plato in the original beer...so around 1.048 in SG.

Confused the living buggery out of me at first, even something like Skalak has an 11%, 12%, and 13%...all quite similar but differently priced.
Shopping for beers in the supermarkets there can be a bit of a nightmare...a cheap nightmare though. ;)

Makes more sense. Cheers.

Funny coincidence CM2. They sell budvar and pilsner urquell (and I'm sure I've grabbed trumer from there as well so with this weather, I might do a czech lager comparison soon.

Budvar seems like a decent description - I do get a fair whack of corn with that one too.

and thinks maybe a bit of crystal may give it a bit of backbone.
the additions are 60, 30 and 15 and maybe a small amount at flame out depending on the aromas given off during the boil.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..................

Dont put crystal in a pilsner.

Oh dear.

with a pilsner think simple simple SIMPLE!

One malt.... pilsner..... no "backbone" needed.... its not a stout. You want the light honey sweet and biscuity malt flavours of the pilsner malt to shine.

keep the hop additions simple. Choose one hop and just use that.

Add lots in a late bittering addition, and if you must, a little bit at the end of the boil but this will be a small amout and not really needed.

A pilsner is not ment to be a hop monster like an APA and do not under-estimate the power of the big late low AA bittering addition.

snap chill, ferment cool with a good lager yeast........

HEAVEN!

When you drink a good pilsner it should be a simple beer with just a few defined characters that pop and make you think... WOW.

No backbone, no big hop smack in the face........ the secret is a blend between subtlety and prominance but all characters in the mix should ballance each other.

Spent saturday evening in one of the best bars in Gothenburg Sweden with some other beer geek friends.

Bar is called 3 sm rum( 3 small rooms) if your ever in this part of the world check it out.
The biggest selection (few hundred) of belgians in sweden. and then many other imports and swedish crafts.
this is the poster you see when you first walk into the bar.
IMG_0386__Medium_.JPG
blask roughly means slushy/watery
the rest translates to
3 sm rum dont sell

instead we serve mineral water.
the beers listed are what you will normally find in most swedish bars.
keeps alot of the punters out and gives you a great idea of the beers they do sell.

started with a grottenbier bruin
IMG_0382__Medium_.JPG
very different belgian apperently aged in caves . found it was bit overly carbonated which was odd considering the bottle was a few years old and a very diferent taste but enjoyable unlike any other belgian ive had before.
the owner (raz) ended up pulling out another beer which he said would be more to my taste. poured himself a glass and gave me the rest.
IMG_0384__Medium_.JPG
he was right i found it more balanced and lower carbonation
'
the missus chose this lovely number
IMG_0383__Medium_.JPG
she found it a bit sweet. i loved it ive spent a few yrs in nth america and love the taste of cherry flavoured things i think it works especially well in this lambic.

had a break from the belgians and enjoyed a few from there taps.
mikkeller-nelson sauvon havent had any nelson since being at home extremely well balenced ale. loved it.
rogue- brutal ipa- great ipa not overly bitter and great tasting american hops. really fresh!
oppigrds(swede brewery)- indian tribute great uk style ipa but with us hops unlike most ipas flooding the market at the moment very pleasant surprise

followed with IMG_0387__Medium_.JPG'
probably not the best choice after a bunch of ipa but couldnt resist when i seen it there.

few glasses of water to clear the pallet then came the real treat of the night

IMG_0388__Medium_.JPG
2010 bottle. by far the best lambic ive ever had. massive fan of lemony tartness and funk. absolute treat!
planned to finish the nightsharing this one.
but raz the owner pulled this one out for another customer and gave me a glass just before i left.
IMG_0390__Medium_.JPG
hard to really judge after the 3 fontan. quite fruity but gunna have to taste again before really rating.

while im at it might aswell post a few others ive had over the week.
IMG_0375__Medium_.JPG

IMG_0381__Medium_.JPG

IMG_0391__Medium_.JPG

no photo but had the mikkeller/3 floyds-boogoop on tap very tasty hopped up barley wine. 10.4% so i was feeling it after a few others.
bottle is being released in the monopoly bottlo system they have here this week will be aging a few to see how it tastes over the years.

No [photos unfortunately, because I didn't grab my camera before I went out, but tonight:

Russian River Temptation:
Blonde sour aged in chardonnay casks, dry, but not bone, heavy acidity, nice floral brett and some clean vanilla oak. OUTSTANDING.

Logsdon Farmhouse Seizoen Bretta:
What it says on the bottle. A saison with Brett. It was good, for sure, but could totally replicate this at home with a small effort. Good but not great.

New Belgium La Folie:
A solid flemish red, with excellent barrel character, but doesn't hold a candle to a Rodenbach grand cru. Also good but not great.

Hopworks IPA on handpump.
Creamy Cascade and Amarillo dry hopped so hard it sticks to your teeth like caramel. MMMMM

All enjoyed at http://www.baileystaproom.com/ Portland.

Next stop: Cascade barrel house tomorrow for the tapping of the weekly sour barrel.

Just tried the Epic Flying Nun 30th Anniversary Ale. Reminded me a lot of the Tuatara APA, which is good, because it's bloody delicious.

On a side note, went to Harts last week for the Thunder Road launch. Full steam Lager and Brunswick Bitter... what a waste of time. They could have been nearly any generic Aussie megaswill. Disappointing I thought.
I couldn't wait to run downstairs for a pint of Hangman.

Picked a couple up this arvo... Never seen nor heard of the Macs sassy red bitter or the hop rocker pils...

Ring pull-win!

The lobo's are for the missus... Clearly :)

2012_02_01_14.56.20.jpg

Just tried the Epic Flying Nun 30th Anniversary Ale. Reminded me a lot of the Tuatara APA, which is good, because it's bloody delicious.

On a side note, went to Harts last week for the Thunder Road launch. Full steam Lager and Brunswick Bitter... what a waste of time. They could have been nearly any generic Aussie megaswill. Disappointing I thought.
I couldn't wait to run downstairs for a pint of Hangman.

Was at hartson australia day and tried the bitter. Wasn't impressed either. Had a fair bit of green apple taste (acetaldehyde??) and not much malt or hops. Had a bitter at redoak later which was better and saw a group wearing thunder road shirts but didn't bother saying anything to them.

LN you say... Well... This shall be interesting...

The Lord Nelson 3 sheets was surprisingly tasty. 4.c roughly... Dunno why i thought it would be shit but i have always walked straight past it at bottle shops... Maybe its the label... :-/

Had my engagement party at Archive last night so had a great time enjoying a great variety.

Had a few of the Bacchus Schwarzbier... Excellent Drop! Cheers Ross for getting this one put on for the night!

Beer_2.JPG

It's not often that you get an excuse to splash out on an expensive bottle of beer, so whilst I had permission I went for the Black Tokyo Imperial Stout..... Holly Hell Batman! That was one crazy, intense beer! I must say that I have not had alot of heavy stouts before and certainly never something like this.... 18% and $70 a bottle (330ml).... Only really had a small amount and shared it with mates.... Definitely an experiance!

Beer_1.JPG

Has anyone had the steam exchange oscar ale? It was the last bottle and limited release... Debating whether to crack it...

where did you get the oscar ale from??
for me its the best beer steam exchange ever made
nive pic btw, u still got any blanche de chambly left? he he

Back