Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not in the glass just yet, but I thought I should grab a few for Xmas day. At $13.99 ea, why not?

chimay_red.jpg

Dutchesse de Bourgogne
Perfect post-9am beer

This is the first time I've had this beer. My, how good it is.

2011_12_20_09.20.09.jpg

Chimay red for $14 / bottle! Nice score.

Just finished this off:
SevenShedsRazzamatazz.jpg

A raspberry honey wheat ale.
Quite pleasant and refreshing, but a bit of froth wouldn't hurt would it?

Had one of these last night with dinner.
Hitachino Nest Espreso Stout 7.5%

foodfrenzy.eatchow.stout_.jpg

Didn't get a heap of coffee from it, just a very good stout. Overall a very enjoyable beer with some good food at 5th Element. Some nice alcohols and subtle roasty chocolaty flavours. But would have liked more robust chocoalty coffee aroma from it.

Chimay red for $14 / bottle! Nice score.

Just finished this off:
SevenShedsRazzamatazz.jpg

A raspberry honey wheat ale.
Quite pleasant and refreshing, but a bit of froth wouldn't hurt would it?

I had their Elephant's Trunk belgian style ale a while ago and it was overcarbed. IIRC when I asked about the carbonation level they said it didnt attenuate fully when in the fermentor and kicked off again in the bottle. Maybe they have consistency issues. Decent beers though and it's worth dropping in to the brewery (read "shed out the back yard") if you're in the area.

I had their Elephant's Trunk belgian style ale a while ago and it was overcarbed. IIRC when I asked about the carbonation level they said it didnt attenuate fully when in the fermentor and kicked off again in the bottle. Maybe they have consistency issues. Decent beers though and it's worth dropping in to the brewery (read "shed out the back yard") if you're in the area.

Yeah, been meaning to drop in sometime. Grow their own hops I believe. Hmm, might visit in March...
They do make some nice beers (I enjoyed the Elepahnt's Trunk, also the Start Raven stout) but have heard can be a bit inconsistant.

No pics as its probably a pretty average beer but WOW.

Pilsner Urquell where have you been all my life!? Keep in mind I havent really had many decent examples of pilsners or any lagers really. If I can make anything this decent I would be a very happy man. Any others you guys suggest to try?

@ Blakie:
I don't drink a lot of lagers or pils, but some that I have really enjoyed are:
Boatrocker hopp bier.
Brooklyn brewing Lager.
Lagunitas Pils. :icon_drool2:
Moo Brew pils and
Port Brewing Hot Rocks lager.

You should be able to find the Boatrocker and the Moo Brew at better bottleshops. The others might take some searching for.

@ Blakie:
I don't drink a lot of lagers or pils, but some that I have really enjoyed are:
Boatrocker hopp bier.
Brooklyn brewing Lager.
Lagunitas Pils. :icon_drool2:
Moo Brew pils and
Port Brewing Hot Rocks lager.

You should be able to find the Boatrocker and the Moo Brew at better bottleshops. The others might take some searching for.

Thanks mate.

Moo brew sounds interesting, I loved their hefeweizen! A trip to the internationalbeershop is in order!

Jever is the best German Pils on the market. Not sure if it's available WA only, or if it is over east.

Emerson's Pilsner won best Pils in the world earlier in the year.
Croucher Pilsner is also fantastic.

No pics as its probably a pretty average beer but WOW.

Pilsner Urquell where have you been all my life!? Keep in mind I havent really had many decent examples of pilsners or any lagers really. If I can make anything this decent I would be a very happy man. Any others you guys suggest to try?

Give the ol Budvar a run Blakie, bloody good lager...the real budweiser :icon_cheers:

bourgogne de flanders - bruin. A great little beer. Slightly sour, but not confronting, i was getting some cola type caramals and the carbonation added to that impression of cola. I really liked it.

Two Birds Golden Ale - A very light and refreshing beer. Fairly subtle on the malt. Not very complex and a little simple. No doubt would be a great session ale, and a great gateway beer, but just a bit too plain for me

04122011291.jpg

Two_Birds_Golden_Ale.jpg

1st selection from the summer BM pack:
SkaBrewingPinstriperedale.jpg

Ska Brewing (Colarado) "Pinstripe" Red Ale.

I've had a few red ales, and enjoyed only a couple of them. Admittedly, most were mor Belgian / French "farmhouse" styles, but as a result I approached this with some trepidation.
Very pleasantly surprised!
Delicious!
More malt driven than hops, but still getting a mouthful of caramel and fruity flavours (fruit may be more due to the yeast than the hops?)
The BM tasting notes suggest 7-10c for this one. Well, you can't really be sure of serving temp until you open it can you? This was poured @ 10.4c, will make sure the next one is cooler.

Tried the Croucher Patriot Black Ale today.
Roastiness: Check
Maltiness: Check
Hops: Check

Bloody nice beer.

Currently drinking Yeastie Boys Digital IPA. Nice, but I prefer the Patriot...

SkaBrewingModusHoperandiIPA.jpg

Yum
I'd rate it up there with SN torpedo.
Very bitter.
Less hoppy aroma.
Still bloody nice. :)

2cb867c7.jpg

38a374ec.jpg

But to drunk to go in to detail but both these beers are great. The SN was interesting and the Beer Here is verging on IPA I think. At least that's what I tasted after numerous other beers

And all of these fine beers were purchased in the United Arab Emirates. Don't believe anyone who says you can't drink over here.

From the labels:
Goliath - Pale & Crystal malts, Fuggles and Goldings
Scarecrow - English barley & Target
King Goblin - Crystal malts & Sovereign hops, only brewed on a full moon

Haven't tried the blonde yet.
Goliath was good but was expecting more of the other two. I have had Hobgoblin before but I will do a side by side with another Hobgoblin & King Goblin.

Latest posts

Back