Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bcconnery - You could be right there. I google-translated the label (back) and nothing about "July". Perhaps Luke (@ crown cellars) was pulling my leg, or perhaps I misunderstood and he meant it was imporeted in time for xmas in July...
Not to worry. Was quite an enjoyable beer. :)

Are all those beers from Crown Cellars Spork?

Most the beers I have posted in this thread are jlm, except a few imports from Kings meadow's Liquorland (of all places) and some from BeerMason's packs. (Spring pack will be here in 2 - 3 weeks...)
The guys @ Crown cellars are unashamed beer geeks though, and get "new" ones every few months. Mostly Aussie and NZ craft beers, but I hear they have recently been talking to an importer and are looking at increasing their range of import's as well.

Most the beers I have posted in this thread are jlm, except a few imports from Kings meadow's Liquorland (of all places) and some from BeerMason's packs. (Spring pack will be here in 2 - 3 weeks...)
The guys @ Crown cellars are unashamed beer geeks though, and get "new" ones every few months. Mostly Aussie and NZ craft beers, but I hear they have recently been talking to an importer and are looking at increasing their range of import's as well.
Hadn't seen those Brooklyn Brewery beers here in Bris.....Will be living somewhere near Launceston in a few months (another ******* mainlander) so was wondering if little Crown Cellars had beaten Brisbane to the punch.l

OeTTINGER pils.

I reckon this has got to be the best value fridge stuffer or in betweener around. Nothing about it really stands out, but in a way that's it's strong suit.
It's modest 4.7% alcoholness and bite sized .330ml sizing lets you slam em down from lunch time without looking like you're recovering from a stroke by early evening. Crisp, clean and easy drinking.
I'd be happy to knock up a batch with maby a little saaz just to make thing more interesting.

DSC06472.jpg

OeTTINGER pils.
I reckon this has got to be the best value fridge stuffer or in betweener around.

I'd be happy to knock up a batch with maby a little saaz just to make thing more interesting.

Yep the 500ml cans are my 'betweeners' of choice!

Their website says 4.7% ABV, 11.2 Plato (OG 1.044), 41 kcal, 26 IBU Noble hops. http://oettinger-bier.de/archives/805
I thought some of their other beers looked good until I saw these two. "Malz" but then hit translate and it is no-alcohol beer! They also have 'Mixed' that is 50% beer and 50% cola, not sure I'd like that either!

Had to give some cans of Oettinger away recently.

My missus bought it because it was cheap and she wasn't into the IPA I had on tap at the time.

I had one tin of Oettinger and couldn't stomach it. Granted, it was after a mellow lager of mine, but it was seriously undrinkable.

I thought I'd ruined my tastebuds (over-stimulated by beer snobbery) and I'd gone as far as I could go - but this proved to be a shock to me.

Not sure where I go to from here. I can't make a pilsner, I need to buy it, and summer is coming up. After home brewing costing me about $20 to make a month to 2 months' worth of beer, I'm not sure I can buy too much commercial pilsner.

Goomba

Russian Imperial Stout from Hargraves Hill at Mrs Parmas.
Very smooth, 11.7% ABV.

hh_imperialstout.jpg

Wet Wednesday here, HB 2011 Autumn Harvest Ale to celebrate the beginning of the new hop season followed by:

1. 4 Pines Dry Stout - Nice roasty malty flavours but WAY too carbonated. Ends up super dry on the palate, almost 'dusty'. It got quite confronting after a while. Do not recommend.

2. Endeavour 2010 Reserve Amber Ale - Lovely. Beautiful caramel notes that hint at sweetness but are chased away by an elusive background of dry choc malts (I realise this sounds a toss but its the only way I can describe it). POR is there but really plays a background role, just a hint of floral hops. A case study in balance. Go buy it now.

Weihenstephaner Korbinian Doppelbock. Not really sure why I've never tried this beer before.. because it's fucken awesome. Enough said. No photo, sorry.

Weihenstephaner Korbinian Doppelbock. Not really sure why I've never tried this beer before.. because it's fucken awesome. Enough said. No photo, sorry.

Where'd you get a hold of that? I'd love to try some.

mmmm such a great drop! Haven't had it for ages. I think I had better pick one or 2 up this afternoon! :)

Had a few sierra nevada torpedo's last night. Very nice beer!!

Mikkeller Coffee IPA Tomahawk x Odoo Shakiso

The head actually seems to be kind of like the froth on coffee, if the coffee had hops in it.
Poured very hazy, that's not just my camera work.

Aroma is all hops, as is the flavour. A strong bitterness in the beginning fading a hoppy mouthfeel. As it warms up I'm getting, still hops.
I find myself reaching for any coffee note but there is a kind of edge to the bitterness that makes me think I'm tasting it. It definitely isn't just an IPA, but it isn't like a hoppy coffee beer.
I'm enjoying the beer though, there's a complexity to the flavour and I'm feeling a slight buzz, but hard to know if that's in the mind or not...

View attachment 48090

Mikkeller Coffee IPA Tomahawk x Odoo Shakiso

The head actually seems to be kind of like the froth on coffee, if the coffee had hops in it.
Poured very hazy, that's not just my camera work.

Aroma is all hops, as is the flavour. A strong bitterness in the beginning fading a hoppy mouthfeel. As it warms up I'm getting, still hops.
I find myself reaching for any coffee note but there is a kind of edge to the bitterness that makes me think I'm tasting it. It definitely isn't just an IPA, but it isn't like a hoppy coffee beer.
I'm enjoying the beer though, there's a complexity to the flavour and I'm feeling a slight buzz, but hard to know if that's in the mind or not...

View attachment 48090
So a weak cofee ipa ben? Interesting.
stella glass? Looks like my stella glasses. They r nice to drink from

So a weak cofee ipa ben? Interesting.
stella glass? Looks like my stella glasses. They r nice to drink from
Weak coffee, but not a weak ipa by any means, 6.9% and plenty of hops, just not plenty of coffee. Be interested to try the Mountain Goat one now for comparison...
I like the stella glass too, although I mostly use it when I know I'm going to take a photo as it has a nice shape. My everyday glass is, well, one of the dozen or so others I use regularly :)

Latest posts

Back