Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little birdy shared these with me last night. Very tasty.

snbeercamp.jpg

A mate and I called into a pub in Walsh Street, West Melbourne and they had Holgate ESB on tap.

Gave it a try as I'd heard about the brewery but never tried their beer, very nice. Anyone know if Dan's stock it?

Cheers

Mark

PS Sorry forgot to take a pic.

I had it on hand pump last night from Archive beer. Bloody beautiful.

Enjoying my commercial Ironbrew now. Tastes reasonably close to my HB attempt. I'm getting boozy after a pint.

2011_09_11_15.02.07.jpg

Beer Camp....... is that anything like Band Camp? "And once, at Beer Camp, I ......"

Lagunitas Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale
The Beer Mason's Blurb described this as an American Wheat so when I grabbed it out of the fridge without further reading and poured it I expected something light on the malt but with a little hop hit, an easy drinking summer beer for the first of the evening. One sip had me heading back for the label to discover I was drinking a 7% 60+IBU beer with a delicious hop flavour.
Really nice beer but a far cry from any American Wheat I've had so far...

The oily juicy hop flavour dominated without being overbalanced, once I got over the mental block of what I had been expecting.

View attachment 44743

I have a bottle of this in my fridge that I'm still yet to drink.

Not every beer in California needs to be a micro. They sell huge ones too. Shot next to 13in notebook screen for scale.

Five bucks!

SAM_1369.JPG

BeermasonsSpring2011.jpg

:)

Not drinking all of these at once of course, but look forward to trying them over the coming weeks.

port.jpg

just because i'm stuck in Gladstone it doesn't have to be all bad..

LostCoasttangerine.jpg

Tastes like flat fanta - but in a good way.
Mrs Spork hates beer and thinks it all tastes like dirt (I'm such a lucky man) but I think she might even like this one. Very prominent citrus aromas and taste.

Another one from the same brewery (Lost Coast - US).
Another wheat beer, this time with "kafir lime leaves and corriander".
The lime flavour stands out.
Surprisingly quite nice.
LostCoastGreatWhite.jpg

Something for the Sierra lovers out there. Just grabbed a six pack of this, and frankly I think this is the nicest Sierra Nevada beer I've had. I much prefer this to the pale ale, porter and torpedo that I've tried. It's malty, but not over the top, with a dry finish and a lingering hop flavour. I haven't checked, but it tastes like a similar but different hop choice than the pale. Maybe something new, or a C hop and noble hop combo?

Pours dark brown with red highlights, quite clear but hard to tell with the sub-optimal glass I'musing. No yeast dregs in an empty, so I'm guessing not bottle conditioned. Aroma is low, but is C citrus and that identifiable chico yeast subtle sulphur.
Taste is medium intensity malt - nothing like a scotch ale, but right in the money for a quaffable brown ale. I get a touch of chocolate and caramel. Dry finish with some lingering bitterness. I'd guess around low 30s IBU. Hop presense is lovely and much more subtle than many beers I've been tasting this week. There's a C hop citrus; maybe centennial or cascade, with a roundness you get from noble hops. Now I think about it it's probably the same mix as the pale ale, just showcasing different due to the malt profile.

Overall impression; I could drink a heap of this. It's a fine beer crafted with drinkers in mind; smooth, yet dry, nothing too intense, but heaps of interesting things going on to keep you happy with your choice. Would buy again for sure.

SAM_1409.JPG

SAM_1410.JPG

Edit: It's a combo of Challenger and Yakima Goldings (US Goldings I guess) to 37 IBU - and apparently contains some smoked malt. The pale ale is cascade and pearle hops, so I couldn't have been more wrong. I didn't pick the smoke at all, and still can't even now I know its there.

BeermasonsSpring2011.jpg

Not drinking all of these at once of course, but look forward to trying them over the coming weeks.

I might have to join Beer Masons, looks great.

Jealous as hell :icon_drool2:

I'm so tempted to squeeze the trigger on a membership right now... grrrrrrrrr... must save monehhaarrgggggghhhh

I would definitely recommend Beermasons as well.

Been a member for a year now and it is like having Christmas 4 times a year.

You can justify the expense too if that is an issue.
One delivery ties in close to Father's day, one to Christmas and one to Birthday.
The forth delivery.
Well that ties in with the middle of winter and every one needs something to cheer them up that time of year :D

I think I will try the 'Hot Rocks Lager' tonight.
Sounds very interesting. Brewed by Port Brewing Company using an ancient method of super heated granite rocks to boil the wort. The rocks are then placed in the fermenter once cooled.
Sounds interesting.

Cheers
Brad

Back