Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm drinking my first Murray's Nirvana in a few months and it is F## ing awesome! Definite recipe change, and the nose is so tropical it is wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

Pacifica hey?

Ed: maybe it is a batch/freshness/ingredient crop difference more than recipe, but it seems cleaner, brighter and punchier, with different aromatics to what I remember.

KooindaBelgianWitbier.jpg

Yes, there is a beer under there somewhere. This had been in the fridge for a day or 2, so should have been nice and settled...

To paraphrase the blurb: Low hops so the yeast flavours and spices can come through. Using the traditional corriander and sweet orange peel..."

Has a "sour" smell, almost like a lambic. But the taste is not lambic at all. It's that typical Belgian yeasty esthers, some wheat, and I get a hint of citrus / orange.
Not bad, but not really to my taste. Better than most megaswill, but I imagine anywhere that sells this would have other craft beers too, which I'd likley choose over this one.

Thats both a good thing and a bad thing about BeerMasons. Good - You get to drink beers that you would not normally buy. Bad - you feel obliged to drink beer styles that you don't usually particularly enjoy.

Prickly Moses Otway Pilsner 4.8% ABV

Very easy drinking pils with subtle hoppy flavours. Quite Golden in colour for a Pils. Reckon a few of these would be no trouble to put down.

IMAG0286.jpg

EDIT: I desperately want to get out to Otway Estate for a session.

I'm drinking my first Murray's Nirvana in a few months and it is F## ing awesome! Definite recipe change, and the nose is so tropical it is wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

Pacifica hey?

Ed: maybe it is a batch/freshness/ingredient crop difference more than recipe, but it seems cleaner, brighter and punchier, with different aromatics to what I remember.

Awesome beer, one of my 1st craft beers.
Cornerstone of thought to fully seek out what's in our own backyard before trying elsewhere.

Recent trip to perth.......had a ball !!! What a lovely place.

only had a couple days but started a wonderful saturday with Fat Yak at the Cottesloe Hotel...... i could have stayed there watching the "view" all day.

cottesloebeachhotel.jpg

Then on to Little Creatures for lunch and a few pints of pale. That place is a brewers wet dream....... great beer, lots of shiny SS, great food, beautiful location, and i got to try an experimental batch of Pale dry hopped with Simcoe...... very nice it was too!

please excuse my ugly mug :)

LittleCreaturestony.jpg

We visited a Bottlo with a huge range of beers...... and i got one i have always wanted to try but never seen........ WOW :)

StoneReuination.jpg

Then i tried a bottle of Yeastie Boys Rex Attitude. My taste buds have not yet recovered from the frontal attack of peat smoke........ it was similar to chewing a stubbed out cigar but up while drinking a Rauchbier. It was very different, not great but not awfull...... it was an emotional experience that i an happy to have had but wont do again

PEatbomb.jpg

Peatbomblabel.jpg

aah the view at cottesloe is very distracting and more so once it starts to warm up. The hotter it gets the less 'covering' there is.

Which bottlo did you visit?

it was a celarbrations one.... they had a thing called the malt club happening

cottesloebeachhotel.jpg

Nice to see a charger again, much better than the common WRX s goin around.

it was a celarbrations one.... they had a thing called the malt club happening
In Carlise maybe? Great range and the do invited tastings. Problem is i go in for a beer and walk out spending $50 -$100.

Did you get into the monk while in Freo Tony? The have the Ruination on tap along with some other hop driven treats. :icon_drool2:

I tried "the world's best wheat beer" yesterday, that's what the label said, severely underwhelming. Undercarbed, overly sweet, and no sourness or bitterness to balance. It's meant to be a witbier, but didn't taste like one. I won't be drinking Blanche de Namur again in a hurry. Yuk!

I tried "the world's best wheat beer" yesterday, that's what the label said, severely underwhelming. Undercarbed, overly sweet, and no sourness or bitterness to balance. It's meant to be a witbier, but didn't taste like one. I won't be drinking Blanche de Namur again in a hurry. Yuk!

Please give it another go. This beer is lovely. On tap, it is sublime on a hot afternoon. So lemony and tart with an awesome spice balance.

In Carlise maybe? Great range and the do invited tastings. Problem is i go in for a beer and walk out spending $50 -$100.

Did you get into the monk while in Freo Tony? The have the Ruination on tap along with some other hop driven treats. :icon_drool2:

na i really needed a week the try everything i wanted to....... i only had one afternoon in freo.

Sampled a couple of "locals" (Victorian) from the latest BM pack.

KooindaValhallaGoldenAle.jpg

A very drinkable Golden Ale. This disappeared pretty quickly. Nice malts, and amarillo = win. :)

KooindaBlackIPA.jpg

A 60 IBU Black IPA. Wow! The first sip was almost too much, but after a couple more the taste got mellower and I really enjoyed this %7.0 beastie.

[quote name='O'Henry' post='817160' date='Sep 18 2011, 01:20 PM']Please give it another go. This beer is lovely. On tap, it is sublime on a hot afternoon. So lemony and tart with an awesome spice balance.[/quote]

It must have been the shipping / storage then. Probably will just grab a Wicked Elf wit next time though.

MoylansNorCalIPA.jpg

Did someone say hops?
This treat from the BM pack weighs in 68 IBU's and 6.5% abv. The aroma is pure hops. Grapefruit and pine come through. The taste is also totally dominated by the bittering hops. There are obviously late (aroma) hop additions, but my palate (is crap - I smoked heavily for 20+ years) can't taste any "flavouring hops", just the bittering.
Have tried a few different Moyan's beers now. They don't do subtle... I am enjoying this one though.

MoylansESB.jpg

Sour and smokey aromas and flavours.
ESB not my fave style.

My first of a couple tasters coming up. This is my first review so I'm not sure what or how to say things, but ill try.

3 Ravens Bronze Ale
IMAG0132.jpg
The head didn't last long, and it was low on carbonation which I guess is normal for the English style.
It had a light roast flavour that I wasn't expecting, which seemed to be the dominating the aroma and flavour.
The aroma was light, with not much hop in there.
The taste was a smooth roast, with very light caramel sweetness. The bitterness was there, but I couldn't taste alot of hops.

PortBrewingMidnightExpression.jpg

A nice drop.
Very "porterish" in the aroma and flavours, and colour, mouthfeel...
Makes me wonder "why"?
I'm guessing this style may have originated somewhere that the climate was more suited to lagers, but people still wanted a full flavoured, malt driven type of beer.

My Wife's Bitter

Sorry about the crap photo. Ill get the decent camera out soon.
IMAG0133.jpg
Dark colour, good clarity.
The CO2 bubbles were quite large which a little strange on the mouthfeel. The carbonation level was low, to style.
Had a interesting aroma, which was dominated by a dusty type aroma and past that i could smell malt and feint hops.
The taste was nice, good balance between malt and hops. The hops flavour was their but also quite feint, possibly EKG? Not sure. The malt had a nice taste, a slight biscuit and full english taste to it.

Back