Whats In The Glass (commercial)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think homebrewing has spoilt me.
I enjoyed this beer with dinner - the first of the week so it wasn't like I'd battered my palette - but I dunno, by the end of it, where's the flavor gone?
I guess in the pursuit of clarity and running their beer's through the pantyhose a few times, you cant help but strip away some of the character.
Still, I'd buy a box if it were on sale.

DSC06390.jpg

Working my way through a Friday night Dan Murphy's buy courtesy of the credit card points gift voucher.

So far:

Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale. Label promised lots and lots. Didn't deliver. Ok beer, smooth, balanced bitterness, just not really exciting. A boring Fat Yak?
Hobgoblin: Oh yes, I remember you well - burnt toffee and banana bread - cheaper than buying banana's fresh too!!
Montieth Dopplebock: After the hobgoblin, a bit of a let down. Slightly funky odour, actually quite funky - that is more pronounced with each sip - bitter, bit of brown sugar, hint of chocolate.

So far, should have bought 3 x hobgoblin.

Also on the list of purchases but not all on the menu tonight:

Punk IPA - std Dan Murphy purchase each time I visit
Coopers Vintage Ale x 2
Grimburgen Phoenix Dubbel

Ok, there might just be vintage left for tomorrow night :D

Dear Santa

I have run out of space in the fridge.
Please grant me a new fridge :) A Giant esky will do... in case you are in the mood to bargain.
Please give me the willpower to drink more.
Please just please find me the 95 Ltr Coleman Extreme Esky.

I'll be a good goooood brewer :)

Cause of the consternation in my fridge are the latest members of the family:
z26ur.jpg

So far... SNPA.. underwhelmed. Pure cascade flavour just didn't cut it - too simple!!. Couldn't taste any malt. I admit I drank it relatively warm. Perhaps expectation>>>experience. I'll buy a LCBA over this, thats just me.

The Little Brewing Company - Mad Abbott Tripel.

My first beer as a Dad.

Backlit by the eerie glow of the Mac screen, my senses no doubt affected by the sound of my (almost) two day old son murmuring in the background, this little offering looks almost like liquid honey in a Chimay goblet.

Aromas of coriander and colostrom, tastes one minute like some kind of extraordinary citrus, the next like some delectable caramel that never cloys.

What can I say other than that's 330ml of 9.5% pure awesome balanced brilliance. Unlike my who should know better than to drink this strength beer after practically no sleep in ... how many days now?

Photo? Hah!

The Little Brewing Company - Mad Abbott Tripel.

My first beer as a Dad.

Backlit by the eerie glow of the Mac screen, my senses no doubt affected by the sound of my (almost) two day old son murmuring in the background, this little offering looks almost like liquid honey in a Chimay goblet.

Aromas of coriander and colostrom, tastes one minute like some kind of extraordinary citrus, the next like some delectable caramel that never cloys.

What can I say other than that's 330ml of 9.5% pure awesome balanced brilliance. Unlike my who should know better than to drink this strength beer after practically no sleep in ... how many days now?

Photo? Hah!

I'll follow that with a Harrington's Belgium Tempest... keep the theme alive. But at a mere 8%.

Opened to a slightly concerning aroma of sulphur. Yikes.

Pours with lots of yeasty bits floating in an orangey amber syrup.

Despite the smell this tastes as good as I remember. Full and malty, with a delicate moussey mouthfeel.

... if this is what parenting is like, long may it continue.

I'm moving to sweden today so me and my old man pulled out some of our coopers vintage last night for a little taste test.
Ended up tasting 07-08-09-10 with 11 already being fresh on my mind from only a week or so ago and felt it needed to be banished to the celler for a year
unfortunately i couldnt convince him to pull out his '1999 Hahn millenium' beer <_<

All in all they where all lovely beers
Im not very good at wording how i taste a beer but here goes

07-08 both had strong toffee notes and where very smooth with only slight differences between the 2 enjoyed them immensely something nice to pull out every now and then
09 unsure about this one just fell between the others really and wasnt a highlight although still a nice drop
10 still had plenty of hoppiness and fruitiness and is quite possibly my favourite of the session.

IMGP1307_1024x680.jpg

just went to the local boutique at lunch and picked up:

Fanny Gert's Bickie Beer
Wychwood Goliath
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Schneider Unser Aventinus
and...
Stone and Wood Stone beer :D

shame i can't drink them now :(

just went to the local boutique at lunch and picked up:

Fanny Gert's Bickie Beer
Wychwood Goliath
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Schneider Unser Aventinus
and...
Stone and Wood Stone beer :D

shame i can't drink them now :(

When I lived in the UK I was a big fan of the goliath. Does it still come in a big 650mL bottle?

no pictures but just tried:

1. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - really quite good, but IMO not quite there with LCPA, I reckon it needed just a fraction more crystal to hold up to the hops. Great carbonation and hop flavour, almost too light in body (a smidgin too thin), but if I find it for a reasonable price I'll have it again.

2. Mikeller 1000 IBU - holy F^CK this is a seriously bitter beer. Awesome aroma like sticking your head in a bag full of ripe pawpaws, sensational depth of hop flavour (sweet, blood-orange, sticky orange peel kind of flavour, with tangerine freshness) and then repeating wave after wave of bitterness that wasn't unlike a burning sensation on the tongue. I got used to the bitterness after about the 2nd or 3rd mouthful and started to really enjoy it rather than just experience it... all in all, very very very good, but at $26 for a 375mL I won't buy it again - the experience was really nice but I wont repeat it. I'd love to know how much hops went into that bottle, tasted like at least 500g !

Sierra Nevada Torpedo: love this beer nearly demolished a carton in just a few days bugger the expense.

Well I love Punk IPA too so Torpedo is more than acceptable. Nice bitterness with a slight malt sweetness at the back. Slight warmth from the high alcohol levels. Wish I could afford to drink this every day.

View attachment 47614

i just had to try some of this and glad i did. this was such a complex tasting beer 11.7%

2004 brew so will try to keep some for a few years but dont know if any will make the suggested 25 :icon_drunk:

IMG_0429.JPG

Made it in to that place they call Platinum Cellars for the first time today....won't be the last time

Was drinking the Hitachino Nest classic IPA last night in the darlo taphouse... So balanced, so different to anything I've ever tried, so Japanese. It its like a cigar box with turkish delight. Unique creamy mouthfeel and balance.Po

I had it on tap at Beer Deluxe, after having an Acme IPA - i thought it was pretty good. I think i liked the Acme a little more. The HN IPA though was something very different. Pretty subtle malt but still balanced.

Doesn't taste like 65 IBU, but still, bitter.

If i was going to do a beer this bitter i'd add some more munich or caramel malt.

P1010848.JPG

Back