What's Been Happening On Ahb?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i heard on the vine, bribie is going 3V
I've gone way past that, I'm now firmly 5v

5vesselLarge.jpg

Hahaha love your work Bribie. I think I've missed your recycled images more than anything.

I did a brew yesterday, and the whole lifting the bag part is still complete balls. I got one of those purpose made BIAB bags from Craftbrewer. The mesh is super fine, finer even than the Gryphon one I used to use, and because of that water drains out a lot slower and it's pretty hard when you're just pulling the bag up with your hands. Even the initial run off takes several minutes, with liquid above the grain level in the bag that refuses to leave the holes on the side of the bag.

It got my thinking, maybe having a sort of big funnel you chuck the bag onto and you can rotate pots underneath the funnel to collect the extra runoff and top your kettle up. Point of the funnel would be you don't need to use any rope / skyhooks.

I'd just get a skyhook but I have a false plaster ceiling and the concrete slab is about a foot above it so not sure how to install a skyhook in that.

I grabbed some runoff and attempted to caramelise it on the stove top too, hope it turns out good.

It got my thinking, maybe having a sort of big funnel you chuck the bag onto and you can rotate pots underneath the funnel to collect the extra runoff and top your kettle up. Point of the funnel would be you don't need to use any rope / skyhooks.

I'd just get a skyhook but I have a false plaster ceiling and the concrete slab is about a foot above it so not sure how to install a skyhook in that.

I grabbed some runoff and attempted to caramelise it on the stove top too, hope it turns out good.

Thanks for pushing my button there. Now, there's a thingo that comes with Kegmates, designed to act as a stand for a commercial US style keg - I expect there are dozens of them languishing unwanted around the place, Ross might even have a giveaway. I dragged mine out:

Then I dragged the rack out :rolleyes:

drainingidea1Large.jpg

It sits perfectly in a washing bowl you can get in most supermarkets.

here it is with a Bunnings Handi Pail as a mock up - probably need a bigger pail and I don't feel like carving up my nappy bucket just yet but: large holes cut in bottom, you wouldn't need a false bottom as the bag would just get dumped in and would act as its own false bottom. Apply weight from above - just a cube of water - if the drain rate is slow you could even do a little fly sparge when doing a high gravity beer.

drainingidea2Large.jpg

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :icon_cheers:

Edit: The second kegerator I got, Anthony helped me unpack it and put in the car and when we came across the keg supporter I seem to remember saying "naah what would I need that for..." so it got left out. Could be a profitable new line for CB - "Item: PRES-BIAB001 - Bag drainage support for Pressinator Mk 2" :p :p

Edit edit, of course the second upper rack is really superfluous, just happens to be a bit of kit I already have.

I grabbed a wooden A-frame ladder some wasteful person put out on hard rubbish day. Will fit perfectly over the top of an urn, just need to screw in a hook. Or one of those hanging basket hooks from bunnings will work.

You need to take that one step further Bribie, stick the pail in your urn, and recirculate the mash. :p

I grabbed a wooden A-frame ladder some wasteful person put out on hard rubbish day. Will fit perfectly over the top of an urn, just need to screw in a hook. Or one of those hanging basket hooks from bunnings will work.

Hmm that's not a bad idea. Never really thought about using a ladder.

You need to take that one step further Bribie, stick the pail in your urn, and recirculate the mash. :p
I have been pondering this exact same idea for the last few weeks. the bottom of those handy pails is near on the same diameter as the smaller size domed false bottom I got from CB. I have been thinking, cut the bottom out of the handy pail insert the false bottom and vorlauf to get wort clarity. I know its commonly debated that clarity into kettle isn't as important as it is into fermenter however I have been getting heaps of kettle trub since going biab especially when lots of hops are used. No real biggy but I wrestle with final volumes as the variance is often a bit different all things dependent. bugger it, I guess I'll just give it a crack and see what happens.

bah

if you guys could do one of these threads every year that'd be fantastic, then i can make sure nothing has changed whenever i do get the time to poke my head in :)

Welcome back, Phill - annual visit hey :icon_cheers:

someone sent me a video of the braumister a few months back, certainly peaked my interest, thought i'd come in and see what the mad AHB guys had made up in there sheds to compete with it haha

if you guys could do one of these threads every year that'd be fantastic, then i can make sure nothing has changed whenever i do get the time to poke my head in :)

AHB: A year in review

Yeah that's a great idea. I'd love to re-read the highlights of my older days, the chinese hops etc haha.

I still have a whole heap of Chinese hops in my freezer too, if anyone wants them (haha!)

Jyo has become obsessed with cock.... Thats all.

Glad to see you back MB!

And he also loves: www.porkspin.com - jyo.

Eat Your Soup , Cocko. :icon_vomit:

Ross carpet-bombed the 2011 Qld State show with his FWK's. He did quite well with seven places.

cheers

the_new_darren

Back