What's Been Happening On Ahb?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been pondering this exact same idea for the last few weeks. the bottom of those handy pails is near on the same diameter as the smaller size domed false bottom I got from CB. I have been thinking, cut the bottom out of the handy pail insert the false bottom and vorlauf to get wort clarity. I know its commonly debated that clarity into kettle isn't as important as it is into fermenter however I have been getting heaps of kettle trub since going biab especially when lots of hops are used. No real biggy but I wrestle with final volumes as the variance is often a bit different all things dependent. bugger it, I guess I'll just give it a crack and see what happens.

bah

I'm keen to see how this works as I have the same problem. The concealed element makes the bottom of the urn convex, so when the water level gets down to the top of the trub cone, it starts to fall away to the sides, and gets sucked up the pickup tube.

Squeezing the bag vs. letting it drain on it's own I've noticed seems to make a big difference to the clarity into the kettle, so I tried that last brew, but it takes a long time as the bag mesh is very fine, and I was 1.5L short of volume as it seems the remaining wort just won't drain without some coaxing.

All these ghetto braumeisters had me thinking about the recirculating idea as well.

Back