What would Confucius do?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8trol

Reaction score
I've decided to get right into all grain brewing after dabbling in BIAB and k&k for years.
I want to do 50L batches and im confused as to what i should do equipment wise.
Do i build the "ultimate staino 3v" + herms or just go a Braumeister plus 50L? Hmmm help please

Depends how much you want to spend and how technically handy you are to do things just as well but for cheaper.
I make 40lt batches. 70lt esky (for mash tun). 55lt Keggle. 50lt Kegmenter. Pressure fermentation is a great option. Equipment a fraction of the price of the brewing machines.

Cheers, im a fitter so can drill/ weld up fittings ect. Ive read 1000's of posts about all sorts of vessels...grainfather, braumeister, robo, 2v, 3v, 4v, ect.
What i suppose im asking is whether better beer is created on a multi vessel system compared to a single "all in one" style system.
I keep looking at all in one systems, 5 mins later am looking at building a 3v.

In my opinion the thing to look at is the quality of the lautering setup. This is the most important and least understood part of the brewhouse.

This prejudices me towards a home built system as you can experiment to find what works for you.

Cheers, im a fitter so can drill/ weld up fittings ect. Ive read 1000's of posts about all sorts of vessels...grainfather, braumeister, robo, 2v, 3v, 4v, ect.
What i suppose im asking is whether better beer is created on a multi vessel system compared to a single "all in one" style system.
I keep looking at all in one systems, 5 mins later am looking at building a 3v.
depends completely on the brewer

agree with a lot of the above time considerations also play into it, your automated 1v you can and people do walk away from during brewing. To achieve the same level of automation on a multi vessel setup can be pricey and involved or simple but convoluted.

Best advice join a club, go to a few of the members brew days check out their gear what would work for you and what wouldn't.
Or just come to Vic swap and watch a few systems running including a 600L+ batch brewing on the Saturday. You just need to add your name to the attendees list and maybe put in some coin for food. (note the swaps start Friday afternoon, and finish Sunday when people finally rise. A fair few just attend the Saturday)

In my opinion the thing to look at is the quality of the lautering setup. This is the most important and least understood part of the brewhouse.

This prejudices me towards a home built system as you can experiment to find what works for you.
Perfect. Confirms what i was thinking. Have been confusing myself and should stay with my plan of building my own system.

Back