What To Do With Spent Late Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kymba

what?
Reaction score
seeing as though nobody uses the search anymore, and that i need answers fkn asap bcz i are needy...

what do i do with the 100g of hop flowers (and 50g of pellets but who cares about those) that have been added as 10 minute and flameout additions? i did a 'methode de argon' and thought, bet to **** these leftovers could come in handy next brewday - 50g each of nelson & motueka flowers and 50g of riwaka pellets. I just chucked the filter cone with all the hops in there in the freezer

I find mine work great as bin additions.

I saved a load of flowers on a recent batch as well and froze them, but to be honest, i doubt that I'll ever re-use them. Firstly because they're too unpredictable, both bittering and aroma, and secondly because I got the freezer full of unused hops anyway.

So thanks for reminding me, will chuck them out tomorrow.

Hey, maybe you could use them as a form of incense for when you're feeling 'romantic', just boil them in a bit of water on the stove and enjoy the 'lovely aromas'.

A couple of years ago I did an experiment that I posted here but who knows how to search for it :rolleyes:

What I did was to "spent" the hops before using.

I took a heap of Hallertau aroma flowers and made hop tea out of them in a French Press coffee plunger, and poured the tea (more like a yellow milkshake) into a Schott Bottle.
Then I used the "spent" flowers for bittering in the brew - actually got a nice bittering - then added the hop tea to the fermenter at pitching time.
turned out great.

As pointed out however you are flying by the seat of your pants because you can't really control IBUs etc - but as a general principle it works well with flowers. I would imagine that with pellets, however, the hop tea would leach everything useful out of them, rendering them not much use for bittering.

edit; found this

ok i'm going to just chuck the whole lot in the next mash and report back

might do a 10 minute paley with the 90g of leftovers, plus the afore mentioned fwh

Back