What is this sweet caramel flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simo hart

Reaction score
Gday brewers,

Im after a bit of advice/guidance on what could be going on with my beer.

Iv been using the BIAB method and have been making good beers (usualy SMaSH).
Then 2 brews ago i tried a new recipe (recipe 1) and after i kegged it had a very sweet, caramel like aroma and flavour, i just thought it was the recipe and ended up tipping it down the sink.
Then 3weeks ago i decided to do a Spalt Select SMaSH (recipe 2), after i kegged and carbed hello the same aroma and flavour, i am not really that happy now.

I think it could be one of these things:

-Infection in my fermenter or keg and lines, and yes i do clean and sterilise thoroughly.

- Malt related (bad bag/batch?), before recipe 1 i purchased a 25kg bag of Joe White Pilsner Malt ordered through You Brew It and only used with these 2 brews. Iv used this malt previously with good results, just bought from the brew shop in small bags

-Or my hop additions are to much to close to flame out

The recipe's are there, what do you think?

Recipe 1: Blond Ale.

3.5kg Joe White Export Pilsner Malt

1.8kg Joe White Vienna Malt

30g Saaz Hop Pellets
(15g@60mins, 15g@15mins)

60g Hallertau Hop Pellets (old pellets)
(30g@15mins, 30g@5mins)

11g Safale US-05

OG: 1.047
FG: 1.009

Recipe 2: Spalt Select SMaSH.

5kg Joe White Export Pilsner Malt

100g Spalt Select Hop Cones
(50g@60mins, 50g@10mins)

Safale US-05

OG: 1.054
FG: 1.010

Diactetyl possibly.
Can be caused by a few things but start with cleaning your lines and taps thoroughly.

I,ve cringed before reading ditched beers of this description. Caramel flavours? Many try passionately to get flavors like that.
How can that possibly make you ditch it?

Edit: I'd say just pump up the Hop IBU's next time.

x3 diactyl. Sweet buttery taste- similar to caramel. Let us know your fermentation regime- that will tell a story.

Danscraftbeer said:
I,ve cringed before reading ditched beers of this description. Caramel flavours? Many try passionately to get flavors like that.

on my second bump up for same reason eliminated all other possibilities put it down to balance and personal taste i am increasing ibu by 5 each batch till i find the perfect balance for my taste. I would describe it as sweet caramel also but not buttery 4 th attempt at same recipe something must be appealing.

I fermented both at 17-18c for about a week (when i get the same hydrometer 24 hours apart) in a fridge with an STC-1000.

You could taste the sweetness out of the fermenter however after it was chilled and carbed the sweetness is over powering

Danscraftbeer said:

If you had chronic diacetyl in a beer you'd tip it too. Completely overrides anything in the beer, the head is excessively bitter and hop character is completely stripped and replaced by rubbish sugary 'tang'. Life's too short to drink shitty beer.

Simo, assuming it's diacetyl (which I think it is) a week at that temp is too short. Allow the beer to raise to 20°C near the end of the ferment. Give it 3-5 days at FG in the primary and you should be good to go. Also, if you're not rehydrating the yeast prior to pitching do that to so it increases your live cell count and puts less stress on the yeast.

Google 'The Complete Beer Fault Guide by Thomas Barnes' (can't link on iPad). Might help you track down possible causes. Diacetyl I've come across has been more buttery than caramel, but it's still might be your best bet.

Another daft question - you do boil with the pot uncovered?

Many people confuse caramel with butterscotch, which is a bit frustrating when you are trying to help them.

Ok get a packet of Werthers Original drops from any supermarket or newsagency. If that's the flavour you are getting then it's diacetyl.
Otherwise if it tastes more like a mars bar then it's caramel.

TheWiggman said:
Simo, assuming it's diacetyl (which I think it is) a week at that temp is too short. Allow the beer to raise to 20°C near the end of the ferment. Give it 3-5 days at FG in the primary and you should be good to go. Also, if you're not rehydrating the yeast prior to pitching do that to so it increases your live cell count and puts less stress on the yeast.
Cheers thewiggman, i do rehydrate the yeast but i dont raise the temp of my fermenter. I think i mite be pushing the fermentation time a little bit quick, zeggie posted a link with a load of good info on diacetyl and it says if you leave it longer the yeast should re consume most of it[emoji106]

Blind Dog said:
Google 'The Complete Beer Fault Guide by Thomas Barnes' (can't link on iPad). Might help you track down possible causes. Diacetyl I've come across has been more buttery than caramel, but it's still might be your best bet.

Another daft question - you do boil with the pot uncovered?
When i doe in my grains the lid goes on, after the mash is done i sparg and then boil with the lid off.

Latest posts

Back