What is this sweet caramel flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bridges said:
Away from US05 and towards? Love to know thanks Screwy
If you're not wedded to dry yeast then Wyeast 1056 or 1272 are good substitutes for US05.

Not really much to do with dry or liquid. I like a touch of diacetyl in some UK ales and can get that on demand from Wyeast Thames Valley and 1768 by manipulating the fermentation schedule.

Screwtop said:
Are you positive it's caramel. Maybe its honey. Most likely VDK (vicinal diketones) and possible 2.3 Pentanedione. Had the same problem years ago, due to fermentation issues. Changing yeast strain (away from US05) and extending fermentation time to 14 days fixed it.

Check this out:http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer_brewing/brewers_yeast/yeast_byproducts.htm

Screwy
Iv got another pack of us-05 that i am going to use first, but im going to push the fermentation out time out closer to 2 weeks. What other yeast strain would you recommend?

Bribie G said:
Not really much to do with dry or liquid. I like a touch of diacetyl in some UK ales and can get that on demand from Wyeast Thames Valley and 1768 by manipulating the fermentation schedule.
When you say manipulating the fermentation do you mean just by shortening time in the fermenter and fermenting at a lower temp?

Gooogle diacetyl test, that will help you determine your next step. I thought US05 was pretty good for minimising diacetyl, and have used it to clean up a beer another yeast had bailed on.

simo hart said:
When you say manipulating the fermentation do you mean just by shortening time in the fermenter and fermenting at a lower temp?
Yes in the case of Wyeast 1769 I whack it through as quickly as possible and keg as soon as practicable then let it slowly clean up in the keg at serving temperature .. another way of getting good diacetyl is to do "double dropping" as done by Breakspear / Wychwood.

Screwtop said:
Are you positive it's caramel. Maybe its honey. Most likely VDK (vicinal diketones) and possible 2.3 Pentanedione. Had the same problem years ago, due to fermentation issues. Changing yeast strain (away from US05) and extending fermentation time to 14 days fixed it.

Check this out:http://www.beer-brewing.com/beer_brewing/brewers_yeast/yeast_byproducts.htm

Screwy
Simllar issues, kept persisting not believing it was the US-05. Bought some1272 and bingo, no issues with unexpected flavour/armoa.

Is it me or is US-05 not what it used to be?

Screwtop said:

Screwy
Oh wow, lightbulb! My latest blonde ale (Nottingham @14C) after 7 days smelled like Capilano! Giving it a D-rest (18C) as we speak, hopefully that will assist

Bridges said:
Away from US05 and towards? Love to know thanks Screwy

simo hart said:
Iv got another pack of us-05 that i am going to use first, but im going to push the fermentation out time out closer to 2 weeks. What other yeast strain would you recommend?

fraser_john said:
Simllar issues, kept persisting not believing it was the US-05. Bought some1272 and bingo, no issues with unexpected flavour/armoa.

Is it me or is US-05 not what it used to be?
At first I replaced US-05 with BRY-97 with much better results (doesn't produce "that" US-05 character either) then tried Mangrove Jacks M-44 which has now become my go-to dried yeast.

Screwy

As an ale drinker and frequent user of US-05 (previously packets, now mostly harvested) I have found it to be the most forgiving yeast I've ever used. Diacetyl has never even crossed my mind.

US-04 on the other hand... Let's just say I'll not be using that again :)

Bribie G said:
Yes in the case of Wyeast 1769 I whack it through as quickly as possible and keg as soon as practicable then let it slowly clean up in the keg at serving temperature .. another way of getting good diacetyl is to do "double dropping" as done by Breakspear / Wychwood.
I think I'll do a trial batch and double drop as that is one thing I've been lacking in my English styles.

Back