What Style Is This Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
Anyone guess what is the closest style this beer is? It's off on one or two parameters in all the styles.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 17.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.950
Total Hops (g): 35.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.075 (P): 18.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.77 %
Colour (SRM): 24.8 (EBC): 48.9
Bitterness (IBU): 17.0 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.000 kg Pilsner (80.81%)
0.350 kg Dextrose (7.07%)
0.250 kg Candi Sugar, Dark (5.05%)
0.150 kg Special-B (3.03%)
0.100 kg Caraaroma (2.02%)
0.100 kg Caramunich III (2.02%)

Hop Bill
----------------
35.0 g Saaz Pellet (3.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.1 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity

Hi Nick,

Didn't you say you were making a Leffe Radieuse clone when you picked up the ingredients?

Cheers Ross

Perhaps Nick forgot Ross :p

A preposterous notion! you sir, should be slapped like a red-headed step child for even contemplating such a suggestion!

He clearly has unfathomable amounts of important, bleeding edge brewing knowledge and information in his brain, that fickle things like remembering what he's said previously is simply a rational and reasonable oversight of no consequence.

Hi Nick,

I think it's an Ale.

BF

Hi Nick,

Didn't you say you were making a Leffe Radieuse clone when you picked up the ingredients?

Cheers Ross

Yeah, something similar but not quite as high abv. Is Radieuse a dark strong?

I had enough trouble trying to keep the 3787 inside the fermenter, let alone inside the wort. All the healthy yeast ends up on the krausen and it bloody stalls! Learnt a trick - sanitised spoon to stir the krausen back in does wonders for attenuation and ferment speed.

In between a dubbel and a dark strong would be a Belgian Brun (Brown)

Have you brewed this yet Nick? And if not why don't you give it a tweak to settle it into a style you want.

Andrew

Considering dubbels etc are not really a style as such (unless you believe the bjcp to be the absolute authority on everything) and westmalle dubbel for example is pretty dark, does it matter much?

If it does, follow Andrew QLD's advice and make it one or the other. Are you entering it into a comp?

Considering dubbels etc are not really a style as such (unless you believe the bjcp to be the absolute authority on everything) and westmalle dubbel for example is pretty dark, does it matter much?

If it does, follow Andrew QLD's advice and make it one or the other. Are you entering it into a comp?

Already made.

It's not going into a comp. I just don't know what to call it on my whiteboard above the tap :D I've written "Belgian ______" so far.

Freakin delicious. Has that nice red tint up to the light, that'll get better the more it clears. Needs a week on the gas and to settle yet.

IMG_2955.jpg

I had enough trouble trying to keep the 3787 inside the fermenter, let alone inside the wort. All the healthy yeast ends up on the krausen and it bloody stalls! Learnt a trick - sanitised spoon to stir the krausen back in does wonders for attenuation and ferment speed.

I'm using 3787 for the first time on the weekend, I'll have to remember that :beer:

I've only got 2L of headroom in the fermenter :blink: :unsure:

The recipe and photo look similar to one of my house-brews.
I add a touch of orange peel and, from memory, chuck in a bit of hallertau hersbrucker at the end....

Tastes great.

I'm using 3787 for the first time on the weekend, I'll have to remember that :beer:

I've only got 2L of headroom in the fermenter :blink: :unsure:

You must have a blowoff... I've got a BPA down at the moment; 17L in a 30L fermenter and the krausen was kissing the gladwrap on day three.

Here's a better shot of the colour.

IMG_2957.jpg

The recipe and photo look similar to one of my house-brews.
I add a touch of orange peel and, from memory, chuck in a bit of hallertau hersbrucker at the end....

Tastes great.

The recipe this is based on used Hallertau, but I have loads of Saaz.

I think I'll call it a Dubbel.

Already made.

It's not going into a comp. I just don't know what to call it on my whiteboard above the tap :D I've written "Belgian ______" so far.

Freakin delicious. Has that nice red tint up to the light, that'll get better the more it clears. Needs a week on the gas and to settle yet.

Belgian red or Belgian Brown.

Or George.

Looks nice. I think George is a nice name. Therefore it shall be called George. George from Belgium.

Back