What Size Kettle For Double Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
i currently have a 40 liter kettle which i do single brews on.

i am wondering what size kettle would i need for a double batch and what size gas burner would i need.
i currently have a 3 ring rambo which does a single batch easily. would the rambo do a double batch or would it struggle to get a good rolling boil with about 56 liters.
cheers fergi

i use a 70L beerbelly kettle for both double and single, the rambo will do the job im using a nasa.

I use a 80lt pot but id be able to do tripple batches I think but may have to dilute it a little. I have a italian spiral and its good. My 3 ring use to take 50mins from when I started to sparge to boil (I started heating when the wort was about 3" in the bottom of the pot. With the italian I sparge and then heat and it takes 20mins and I think I could turn it up more if I made a new stand.

I have a 50lt keg for my boiler, and i do double batches all the time with it on my 3 ring gas burner.

It does take a little while to ramp up from sparge to boiling, but it gets there easily, and is more than capable of a big turbulent boil. I turn down the rings to maintain a rolling boil.

I brew to 40lt double batch size into the fermenters to fill kegs. My preboil volume is 46.5 litres. I do need to watch for boilovers, but it is more than doable without having to brew high gravity and dilute.

One day ill upgrade my burner, but it works fine for me at the moment.

I do doubles in a 50ltr keg but it's full - if I was going to make a purchase it would be a solid 70ltr pot, will switch eventually.

I started heating when the wort was about 3" in the bottom of the pot.
That's the trick with mine too, get it nice and hot early while sparging it's easier to get up to temp.

I use a 70L pot for doubles. Pre-boil volume 54L. Just bought a 98L hoping to do triples. :icon_chickcheers:

I use an Italian Spiral burner with a medium pressure adjustable reg. It has more than enough grunt.

I have an 80 ltr keg and do doubles and triples in that.

i currently have a 40 liter kettle which i do single brews on.

i am wondering what size kettle would i need for a double batch and what size gas burner would i need.
i currently have a 3 ring rambo which does a single batch easily. would the rambo do a double batch or would it struggle to get a good rolling boil with about 56 liters.
cheers fergi

Hey, Ferg. If you are making a purchase, maybe consider a 70 litre kettle for your double batches. You can walk away from the boil once it's rolling knowing fairly comfortably there will be no boil over.

2 c

I use an Italian Spiral burner with a medium pressure adjustable reg. It has more than enough grunt.

+1
Just yesterday I boiled 43L start volume from mashout to boil in 11 minutes. Same gear. I also have a Rambo, which I used to think was better, but I've changed my mind.

Latest posts

Back