What Size Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Im about to take ownership of my new beerbelly 50 L mash tun to sit along side mt 70 L beer belly kettle. and am about to order a HLT to go along with it.

And was wondering what size you guys would suggest.

They make a 70 L and a 98 L, I will be making double batches all the time and would prefer to only fill the HLT once.

Looking forward to your thaughts.

Cheers Vice

Personally, if you can afford it, I'd go the 98L. You can always just heat 50-70L in it if that's all you need for a smaller batch. Bit hard to heat 90L in a 70L pot though if you only want to fill it once...

Personally, if you can afford it, I'd go the 98L. You can always just heat 50-70L in it if that's all you need for a smaller batch. Bit hard to heat 90L in a 70L pot though if you only want to fill it once...
+1

Between 70L and 98L, I would go 98L forsure. You'll have dead space beneath your pickup tube (in the HLT) where you'll lose a bit, too. I do 52L batches post boil, and still (need to) fill my 100L HLT just a touch (around 20L) at the end of sparge (granted, that's to keep level above my 2400W element, if i'm wanting liquor at temp). If you're thinking 70L HLT and 50L batches (double batches?), you'll want the 98L no question.

reVox

+2

Second the motion!

I found out with doing my first double batch a 40lt urn is just possible. But a 98lt would kill it and make it comfortable.

The biggest one, you will need about 72litres of water for a double..

I just looked at promash to get an idea of water needed for a 12kg grain bill. While your milage may vary, it was about 69 literes.
I would use the 98 as your boiling kettle, redeploy the 70 as the HLT, and never ever worry about a boil over ever again.

The biggest one, you will need about 72litres of water for a double..

How do you figure that? going by 2 X 20L into the fermenter with 12kg grain, you are looking at 52L + boil off, which, depending on your system should be no greater than for a single batch. I think 60L would be fine unless you have a massive boil off or are using a lot of grain.

cheers

Browndog

How do you figure that? going by 2 X 20L into the fermenter with 12kg grain, you are looking at 52L + boil off, which, depending on your system should be no greater than for a single batch. I think 60L would be fine unless you have a massive boil off or are using a lot of grain.

cheers

Browndog

Shit, sorry, I meant 70ltrs :unsure: ... Just thinking of volume into fermenter, water-grain ratio, grain absorption, boil off(length of boil), loss to trub, loss to chilling.. Maybe you dont have any of those other losses and are very efficient??? ;)

Anyhow, I use 35ltrs for a single batch(22ltrs) so just doubled it based on my set-up, everyones system is different I guess...

Back