What Should It Taste Like Out Of The Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stef

Reaction score
I've done a lot of research and looking around, but havent been able to find any thing out about how wort should taste out of the fermenter at different stages.

Everytime i've had a little sample after using hydrometer its been very bitter- smells like beer, but doesnt necessarily taste exactly like beer. So i was just wondering what wort usually tastes like- it starts out sweet and gets more bitter? And how much does the taste of the wort reflect the taste of the beer after its been conditioned etc? Is it possible to get a good idea of the taste of the final product from the wort?

Just curious, as i have done a couple of brews in quick succession but havent yet tasted my own brew as non of them have had long enough to carb up and condition as of yet. So far the wort hasnt exactly been delicious...

I find it starts out sweet and very bitter, as fermentation goes on it mellows out on both. My last few beers have been delicious out of the fermenter, but that can vary with yeast and such.

I find it starts out sweet and very bitter, as fermentation goes on it mellows out on both. My last few beers have been delicious out of the fermenter, but that can vary with yeast and such.

That's what worries me- people seem to say that their beers taste delicious out of the fermenter, and this is a precurser to a nice beer. Obviously tasting good out of the fermenter is a good thing and is reasonably likely to result in a delicious final product... So hopefully even when it tastes pretty rank (or at least i'm not at all tempted to pour myself a glass) out of the fermenter it can turn out ok!

wort doesn't really taste a lot like beer - but if you taste your wort every time, and regulalry throughout the feremntation, you will start to get a "feel" for how it relates to the finished beer.

Its even pretty hard to judge what a carbonated beer will taste like from tasting a sample of finished but flat beer from the hydro tube.

In general - wort will be more "intense" at every level. Obviously much sweeter, but also much more bitter, more hoppy, harsher, grainier. As it starts to ferment, you will get "green" beer flavours added to the mix - acetylaldehyde (green or maybe bruised apples), Diacetyl and some others, while simultaneously the sweetness will be reducing along with bitterness and anything volatile enough to get stripped away by C02 and blown out the airlock.

Then carbonation also drastically alters the taste of the beer, adding a chunk of body and mouthfeel, along with increasing the acidity, perception of dryness and giving you the "bite" you associate with carbonated beverages.

Keep tasting at every stage though - you'll certainly start to develop a knack for how things are going, how at least certain aspects of the beer will turn out, and whether things might be starting to finish up or go wrong in your fermenter. Its one of those experience thing that are almost impossible to describe or teach... you just have to do it for yourself until it starts to gel in your own brain.

TB

Its even pretty hard to judge what a carbonated beer will taste like from tasting a sample of finished but flat beer from the hydro tube.

TB

Good point,advice
Tasting from a hydro should alert you to faults..diacytel when not req, bacteria/sourness. You can also pick up as earlier mentioned bitterness, late hopping, aroma. Tip- Never keg a beer before testing the hydro at ferment temp then colder temp.

I still haven't been keen enough to taste my samplers that I take my SG reading from.

I still haven't been keen enough to taste my samplers that I take my SG reading from.
I taste every one, in fact I never throw any out.
I'm pretty sure I could pick up any off flavours from them having been doing it for quite a while now.
If I was bottling I would like to know this before I spent all that time getting it into bottles.
Cheers
Nige

Valid point Nige. I would have dared ANYONE to have tried my brew of Coopers Mexican when it was putting off rotten egg gas smells, NO I would have PAID to see that one sampled!!! ROFLMAO ;)

Valid point Nige. I would have dared ANYONE to have tried my brew of Coopers Mexican when it was putting off rotten egg gas smells, NO I would have PAID to see that one sampled!!! ROFLMAO ;)
Fasty, I have a lager fermenting in my fridge with 2035 lager yeast at 12C and when I opened the door it could've knocked me over with the smell.
Took a sample, still a ways to go at 1.030SG. Tastes sweet still with the sugars in there but nothing off. Finished the 200ml.
As you progress to using different yeasts you will notice there is a huge variety of odours. Bad smell does't equal an off beer during ferment.
Cheers
Nige

Maybe true but I still aint keen enough to try it out of the fermenters just yet. ;)

That's what worries me- people seem to say that their beers taste delicious out of the fermenter, and this is a precurser to a nice beer. Obviously tasting good out of the fermenter is a good thing and is reasonably likely to result in a delicious final product... So hopefully even when it tastes pretty rank (or at least i'm not at all tempted to pour myself a glass) out of the fermenter it can turn out ok!

some of the lagers ive done have tasted downright deadfull out of the fermenter, but after a couple of weeks or more ccing have been some of my best beers so far.its good to try all your samples bcause after a while youll get the feel for whats happening along the way.

I have found that some of my beer seems to lose carbination after 4 weeks. Could this be my bottle capper?

More likely because you've drunk all of the beer by 4 weeks & it's an empty bottle mate.

More likely because you've drunk all of the beer by 4 weeks & it's an empty bottle mate.

Ahhhhh, I was wondering why I didn't get much to drink!!!! Thats farken funny. Maybe it's because I leave it in the fermenter longer now and they aren't going to turn into bottle bombs. The first 2 or 3 batches I used the capper that came with the kit, but since then I have gotten a bench capper 2nd hand and I thought it might be worn out and not sealing properly, but I just cracked a tallie of batch 6 and it has fizz but doesnt blow your hand off when you crack the top, maybe my first 2 batches were bottled to early and were going to turn into bottle bombs. Dunno, I'm just a dipshit alcoholic!! oh forgot the :)

I taste every one, in fact I never throw any out.
I'm pretty sure I could pick up any off flavours from them having been doing it for quite a while now.
If I was bottling I would like to know this before I spent all that time getting it into bottles.
Cheers
Nige

Right on i love to taste it out of the fermenter, I reckon it gives you higher appriciation for the finished product.

J

In other words,,,, it tastes like shit out of the fermenter and is warm to boot!!!

In other words,,,, it tastes like shit out of the fermenter and is warm to boot!!!

this could be a polarising question like are you a beatles or elvis man. I don't know, I reckon it tastes alright, but thats just me, I find it somewhat poetic how the yeast changes the flavour, new flavours grow as others fade away. Try it what have you got to lose.

that sums it up right there i reckon..

my samples taste like beer... very good beer..... better than beer that's at my pub... yep it's a decent pub too...

that sums it up right there i reckon..

my samples taste like beer... very good beer..... better than beer that's at my pub... yep it's a decent pub too...
Well, I can't really comment there as I have NEVER tasted mine out of the fermenter. I guess I'm not that much of an alcoholic.

Well, I can't really comment there as I have NEVER tasted mine out of the fermenter. I guess I'm not that much of an alcoholic.

It would go part of the way to solving yr bottle problem. More beer straight out of the fermenter = less bottles required.

Latest posts

Back