What Makes Megaswill Just So Crap?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and I thought that was a fairly well known fact that the big brewers invent those competition styles because their watery bland mucky brands don't fit into honest traditional beer styles.
They invent and run competitions with categories that fit their bland product line so they can put gold medals on the labels and market it as award winning. HA - faster than you can say "conspiracy".
...and fill the judging panels with their employees (just to propogate the conspiracy theory ;) ).
This is very true. Is there an "Aussie Style Lager" category in other international competitions? No - it's a fabricated category to justify the bland beer they're been producing for decades, and to win awards for doing it so well.

I think most ( commercial ) beer drinkers aren't really interested in beer, they just wanna go to the pub/club/bbq and have a laugh with mates after work, the beer is really secondary to the social experience.
Totally agree - it's not usually a big talking point around the barby, other than comments like "Ahhhh, that hit's the spot. Nice 'n cold. Could slam it down, and back it up with another 6"....and then wake up the next day with a monster hangover, and wonder why! :p

...and fill the judging panels with their employees (just to propogate the conspiracy theory ;) ).
This is very true. Is there an "Aussie Style Lager" category in other international competitions? No - it's a fabricated category to justify the bland beer they're been producing for decades, and to win awards for doing it so well.

Interesting - I wonder how Hahn Premium did so well at the International Level......

I think most ( commercial ) beer drinkers aren't really interested in beer, they just wanna go to the pub/club/bbq and have a laugh with mates after work, the beer is really secondary to the social experience.

I know what you mean when you said this, and I agree. Here's a slight diversion though. All my mates are die hards when it comes to defending their crap beers.

After midnight their conversations usually go something like this.

"VB is great, much better than that Tooheys Spew".

"Rubbish, New is heaps better then Vee Pee"

I just sit quietly in the corner thankful that I am enlightened, drinking my red bull and vodka (just kidding).

And to answer the question that this thread initially asks, Megaswill is crap because they put chemicals in it that don't belong in beer that give me wicked hangovers. (It's either the chemicals that give me hangovers, or every time I have a huge session on megaswill I get served one that must be off and gives me food poisoning!!!)

TBH, I don't actually know if they do put preservatives and/or chemicals in beer, it's just something I heard and someone once told me CUB put worse ones in there than Tooheys, so VB gave worse hangovers. I have no idea if it's true. I don't really care.

EDIT: ON RE-READING MY REPLY I FEAR I HAVE GONE WAY :icon_offtopic:

I have another mate who only drinks Tooheys New and other LN beers. He can't have VB because they "use fish swim bladders to filter it" and he is a die hard Veggie head. Steers well clear from all CUB products.

I'm rambling now. I haven't had a very productive day at work (reading this, and the other megaswill thread and the James Squire thread has seen to that). It would be interesting to do a poll on who actually still lets megaswill pass their lips.

For the record, I do. (wow, They were right, I do feel much better now that I'm out of the closet.)!!! I prefer craft beers when I'm out on the town; If Tooheys Old is a choice over VB and New I will take it every time. If I turn up to a mates place and he gives me a Crownie I will gladly accept, and will not knock him for buying it thinking he was getting a premium product. (although I do still give my mates $hit if they ever buy Corona.)

This rambling of mine has now reminded me of the "Best beer you have ever had" thread. (Do a search, it's there somewhere.) Lots of people were posting and some came to the conclusion that their best beer was usually helped along with the location/situation in which it was had. I can't remember what I posted for my example, (If I even did post I'm not sure) and may have put in a ritzy Euro example I have, but here is another one.

One of the best beers I ever had was a VB at the Pitt Town Sports Club after spending 8 hours digging trenches in a school when I was labouring for my Plumber Uncle in 36 degrees heat.

Whoah. I think this is officially my longest ever post on AHB. I'm off to get a beer. We only have Tooheys New or Cascade Light in the work fridge though. Maybe I might just wait till I get home and have English Brown instead. Nah, stuff it. I'll just grab a new and hope that none of my Home Brew mates find out about it.

I told you I wasn't having a very productive day at work fellers.

Time for jiggling titties!
:icon_chickcheers:

Is there an "Aussie Style Lager" category in other international competitions? No - it's a fabricated category to justify the bland beer they're been producing for decades, and to win awards for doing it so well.
Actually there is .... World Beer Cup has a section for them.

There is no point in telling people facts - they tend to just want to believe that Australia's Biggest Breweries must be crap - even thou they do very well on the World Stage

Most mega drinkers are programed to only drink what they drink...be it VB,NEW or XXXX.....and it is very hard to make them change..

I have seen fights & brawls over what particular beer is going to be taken on a fishing trip...they all put in, then argue if it is going to be vb,New or xxxx..Jeez, I have seen mates fall out with each other over it....

90% would tell you that Coopers is crap "YUK...not drinking that cloudy muddy sh&t.."

Most like there Mega and that is all they will drink, and you wont change them..EVER....I have even taken somke good brews to the BBQ's and get a positive reaction...but always get "Yeah thats really nice....but I will stick to my brand x beer thanks"

I went down to Hobart not so long ago and ordered a pint of Boags, the barman got all pissed off and said "I don't want to dirty my glasses with that crap". They realy love their Cascade down there.

Really interesting thread!

I have to respect the megaswill because of their consistency. It's very difficult to make something that light without flaws. And to make it consistent from batch to batch.

The reason I hate the megabrewers is their arrogance. Their "this is REAL beer" advertising. It pisses me off. What pisses me off even more is the fact that most people believe that shite.

...At least I know that hot scantily clad strange women won't suddenly appear when I pour myself a pint of my own brew.

:huh: <_<

Dammit. Suddenly I'm depressed. :D

There is no point in telling people facts - they tend to just want to believe that Australia's Biggest Breweries must be crap - even thou they do very well on the World Stage

In their own category, competing against themselves.

It's not like Stella is going to enter the best Australian Lager category :lol:

I have to respect the megaswill because of their consistency. It's very difficult to make something that light without flaws. And to make it consistent from batch to batch.

The reason I hate the megabrewers is their arrogance. Their "this is REAL beer" advertising. It pisses me off. What pisses me off even more is the fact that most people believe that shite.

...At least I know that hot scantily clad strange women won't suddenly appear when I pour myself a pint of my own brew.

:huh: <_<

Dammit. Suddenly I'm depressed. :D

LOL. Thanks, at last some humour in this thread
Cheers

Actually ibast, if I'm not mistaken, they won best Australian beer (or something like that) not too long ago.

EDIT: And I've suddenly realised you were probably being sarcastic. Sorry.

With controlled industrial process, plus a number of batches in various tanks available for blending, I think it's easier to be consistent in a megabrewery than a home setup. All that engineering, test equipment and technicians...

As an analogy, I'm not amazed when a paint shop can tint can after can and get them all identical. I expect it.

Really, so the numerous awards for Hahn Premuim, Hahn Premuim Light and the recent Squires Pils award was all because they had no competition?

No, there is no point in telling people facts.... where is this category in the BJCP style guidelines? Must be there if it's a recognised style worthy of recognition in a competition.

I went down to Hobart not so long ago and ordered a pint of Boags, the barman got all pissed off and said "I don't want to dirty my glasses with that crap". They realy love their Cascade down there.

Interesting... I'd say at least 50% of pubs in Hobart serve Boags, and all restaurants. Most Hobartians will also drink Boags, especially when for a while it was independent while Cascade had fallen to CUB...

MFS.

No, there is no point in telling people facts.... where is this category in the BJCP style guidelines? Must be there if it's a recognised style worthy of recognition in a competition.

I am referring to all the beers the big 2 make, not just the common VB/New - they do produce International award winning beers (Real awards), however is it there fault that Australians prefer New/VB/XXXX?

The BJCP styles are largely based on what is already being brewed commercially. Breweries don't look at the style guides for amateur brew competitions to choose what they make. Successful breweries are shaped by the market. If no-one liked it, no-one would drink it and the breweries would have to change what they make.

With controlled industrial process, plus a number of batches in various tanks available for blending, I think it's easier to be consistent in a megabrewery than a home setup. All that engineering, test equipment and technicians...

True, the large scale does make it easier to be consistent. But when a brewery consumes the amount of malt in a single day what a micro does in a year, things like the malt itself make a big difference. As does a clumsy brewer, if he/she manages to spoil x batches because they were lax with their sanitation procedures. I still have to give credit where it is due - they're good at being consistent.

At the end of the day, megabrewer or homebrewer, it all comes down to 1) hoping that the yeast you pitch does what you want, and 2) hoping that your sanitation is up to snuff. We all get blindsided by unexpected issues from time to time.

BTW, I'm an engineer, and I don't trust other engineers. Most of them, anyway. Technology and people can and do fail. It's inevitable. Sort of like the old saying that not all doctors were first in their class. Same goes for brewers and the people who create the machines/technology they rely on.

How can you say there is no such style as "Aussie Lager" when most of the available product tastes the same?
Just because BJCP (who are not, by the way, god, or their style guidelines the bible... they DO get updated regularly) doesn't have this style doesn't mean it's not there, just that it hasn't made it into the styles, a bit like imperial IPA...

Actually Aussie lager is essentially an extension of European style Pilsners, only without hop flavour and aroma, using local barley, high in adjuncts, and not matured for very long.

This thread is starting to get a bit boring. The argument has been a bit circular for a few pages.

MFS.

Latest posts

Back