What Makes A "good" Beer Glass?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The good old headmaster and some pilsner style are my normal drinking glasses. All just go through the dishwasher.

QldKev

I have heard that if you use rinse aid in your dishwasher it can affect head retention. That being said I use Finish Rinse Aid and have no problems, so I may call bullshit on that one.

Ok. How? Go on genius, explain how a dishwasher (which all pubs and bars use btw,) fucks a glass. I'm waiting, this should be good...

Commercial dishwashers(pubs) do not generally use any cleaning aid, only hot as **** water, your household dishwasher using normal dishwashing tablets or powder
will over time degrade the glass. The powders have tiny beads to help with 'scrubbing'. Any glass washed over and over in a dishwaher will take some damage. Though the
roughed up glass would probably help with head retention but the glass will end up 'smoky'.
Use the dishwasher at home but with no powder and the hottest setting it has for best rsults, or buy or 'borrow' new glasses every now and then.

Commercial dishwashers(pubs) do not generally use any cleaning aid, only hot as **** water, your household dishwasher using normal dishwashing tablets or powder
will over time degrade the glass. The powders have tiny beads to help with 'scrubbing'. Any glass washed over and over in a dishwaher will take some damage. Though the
roughed up glass would probably help with head retention but the glass will end up 'smoky'.
Use the dishwasher at home but with no powder and the hottest setting it has for best rsults, or buy or 'borrow' new glasses every now and then.

+1 I agree to this...many years of being a kitchen hand and pretty much dirty glasses get put on a tray shoved into a machine and hot water goes everywhere (nothing else) and out they come! Clean as a whistle!

+1 I agree to this...many years of being a kitchen hand and pretty much dirty glasses get put on a tray shoved into a machine and hot water goes everywhere (nothing else) and out they come! Clean as a whistle!

which is exactly why i only use a decent hot water rinse after a session on my glasses.

A couple of rinses with hot tap water, and a good dry down with the tea towel or some paper towel (if i could be fucked) and my glasses are spotless.

The only time my glasses go in the dishwasher (with detergent) is if the wife gets shitty with them all over the bench and throws them in with the plates. I think she does it to teach me a lesson.

I notice that no one has suggested PSR. Am i the only one using it??

I use it for my beer bottles, Beer glasses and wifeys glass stuff. Comes up a treat. Country Brewer sells it

I usually find the dirtiest glasses are owned by people with dishwashers.
I like this style. The brand is ok for cheap beer, but the dimpling and wide rim let you get a big noseful and the stem reduces water rings on the table and heavy glass keep my beer cool. I agree with regarding the dishwasher. It damages the glass. I always rinse before filling. I don't frost the glass either.

thumb_230718874764.jpg

I currently only have pint glasses, need to get some half pint and specialty glasses First need to finish the keg system so I call have more than one hooked up at a time. :D

The only way I can see a dishwasher being bad is if it doesn't rinse properly and leaves residue (residue kills head quicker than a fat kid devours a Mars bar). Even if it does leave residue, just rinse it by hand with really hot water and presto, back to how it was before.

P.S. I was a waiter so long that it's automatic for me but just a reminder, always polish immediately with a clean cloth (that means not letting the dishwasher "dry" it).

Back