My First Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takasonfletcher

Reaction score
Hi team,

Just thought I would share, Im sitting here with all the worries of potentially losing my job depending on who wins the election, a pregnant wife who is pissed off at me for some reason (nothing new), 11 month old finally asleep, and exams for school coming up soon. I have had my first Lager conditioning in bottles for a week and decided to sneak a taste to see how we were going, recipe as below IMG_3751.JPG

Coopers Lager kit 1.7kg
Beer enhancer 1
half tablet of Brigalow Hops tablet
made to 23
OG 1034
FG 1015
Finings on day 6 of 7 day ferment in FV before bottling

Brewed at a constant 25 (followed instructions that came with the kit)

So 1 week in i was worried my PET bottles were still a bit soft, I've tightened the bottled a number of times , Ive also shaken them a couple of times but resigned myself to the fact that I will not have much carbonation or head retention on this. Anyways back to the beer 1 week in i selected the hardest bottle (only about 3 of the batch) and chucked her in the freezer for about an hour, put her in my 700ml glass held my breathe, and had a taste............ :chug:

Tiny head which dissipated within a couple of seconds, beautiful colour like a dark amber, smell was a bit of banana which Im attributing to the high temp (I have a 2 can dark ale in my laundry sink fermenting at 15 for the past week, will leave in for another week) the flavor has a hint of banana with some craft flavor (that's all i can think to describe it :D )

Ill be honest its not the greatest tasting beer at this stage (1 week in bottles), hahaha, but I'm sure will become something i can drink in between brews, BUT ITS MINE, I MADE IT AND I LOVE IT HAHAHAHA

this brewing bug has bit, I'm sitting here drinking my shite beer and I dont have any other worry in the world given everything else that,s going on in my life, some people garden to relax, I think I have found my escape,

Cheers to you all my brethren :beer:

Great attitude mate, glad to see another soul sucked into the world of brewing. May you enjoy many a brew to come as u slip into the insanity of trying to understand all that happens in brewing beer.

Only thing I'd say is be patient and leave it in the fridge for a few hours before you taste. The 1 hour freezer will definitely not be making it taste any better. But cheers to your first beer; mine definitely wasn't much chop when I look back on it.

I made myself one promise when I started brewing, each batch would be better than the last.

I have had a few shockers, but pretty much managed to do that. As you learn more they just get better and better.

Enjoy that beer mate, you've earned it :D

Quick run for the hills! This hobby will cost you more than buying a box a week from bottle mart!

Many Congrats on the birth of your first Beer dude. I know that they're not always all we expect sometimes but they're ours and we love em anyway :D

Glad to hear you have a second bun in the oven already (your Coopers Dark toucan that is), I just bottled my first toucan a few weeks back and now I'm messing about with steeping specialty grains. It's pretty cool; like they say - it's a slippery slope but a great ride!

Great to hear mate. If you can find a bit of resilience, save some of it for at least 8 weeks. Sounds an eternity but you're likely to find that its not such a bad drop at all.

Cheers to you Takasonfletcher,

I only just got laid off from work 2 months ago mate, have three kids the mortgage the usual shit same deal, so I understand the stress levels mate, and your right Home brewing is a great escape, it's a challenge its fun,can be frustrating, but also very rewarding,it's great to see you enjoy the simple things in life, enjoy your first of many successful brews!!

I started brewing to get craft beer on the cheap, 15k later... :/ WORTH IT!

Wolfman said:
Quick run for the hills! This hobby will cost you more than buying a box a week from bottle mart!
Not true, even after equipment, I'm ahead. Making coopers at 50c a beer now, my equipment outlay of its paid for. Where the expense?

2 pot with ghetto lauter thread. Ag for under $30 thread. Mate, I'm saving packets.

I'll Pepsi challenge anyone who has spent more. Still making great beer on the cheap.

Back