Frosted Glasses Better, Why?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantocks

it's time to step up the BPM
Reaction score
Going back about 15 years my mates old man used to put his homebrew schooner glasses in the freezer and freeze them for when he was ready to go, I did this last night but as soon as the beer hit the glass it basically made all the frosting dissapear anyway and the glass warmed up pretty much straight away, even though the beer was cold. Anyone know why freezing your glass is better for homebrew or not ? or how long I should be leaving it in the freezer for ?

does it give the beer better head retention or just a better pour?

My Dad has alway's done it......

Apparently it is a no no... espeacially with home brew.... freezing cold beer is flavourless beer.

I just make sure there soap free and clean...

Maybe the guy thought that having the glass cool is a good thing, so freezing should be better.

One way to look at it pouring cold beer into a warm glass will initially cause the beer to foam (just like beer coming out of a warm tap), but eventually the beer and glass reach an equilibrium. Freezing might reduce this and it helps keep the beer cold. I keep my pewter mug in the fridge as it means the mug and beer are same temperature. I wouldn't put it in the freezer though. If you have room in the keg fridge just store them in there, just like a lot of bowling clubs and smaller local pubs do.

And having the glass in the fridge means its right there and handy when needing a pint! No need to walk to the Kitchen for a glass...

ah okay, definitely makes sense then!

after you use your glass and drink all the beer, do you just refil it or do you wash it again or just use another clean one? would the residue left behind affect the next pour, next beer, etc or because it's the same beer would it be fine?

(this is probably the dumbest thread ever made) :)

I used to be fussy as with my glasses, ie a fresh glass every beer and all hand washed and towel dried. But now I just use one glass out of the fridge and chuck em in the dishwasher. I must say though, thats there not a lot of diff. They still hold a good head after going through the dishwasher.

Steve

Same beer in one session - I just re-pour into non-rinsed glass!

Overall - I pretty much only rinse my glass with water to clean - boiling water if really bad and clean it with a dish wand once or twice a week.

I find if the glass dies, as in it won't hold head what ever beer you put in it, putting it in the freezer for an hour+ can bring it back to life...

$0.02
:)

I keep glasses in the freezer. I don't think it really affects the beer temperature too much, perhaps a touch colder initially (which certainly isn't a bad thing in QLD).

+1 for freezer. I haven't had foaming problems and I had put it down to this but after reading some of the above posts I may have been ill informed. The freezer is also convenient as my fridge has no shelves anyways.

I keep them in the fridge. Mainly to reduce excessive foaming when pouring cold beer into warm glass. And in summer here that warm can mean HOT. :D

Also looks the goods when pulling a tray of cold glasses out for a group. ;)

Not sure if this is true :huh: but I was under the impression that beer glasses with a thick glass base would hold the colder temp longer. So by this reasoning freezing the glass would be better if your going to sit on it for a while during the day. Sort of like an ice cube that wont dilute your beer :D

Like I said though, midday drinking in summer can be hazardous.

Latest posts

Back