What Imparts A Raisin Flavour?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a lot of hops (if any cause I have tasted none) impart a raisin taste and I am yet to taste a malt that per se adds a raisin taste or character.
Correct choice of yeast will help you on your way but again there are no specifically raisin character making yeasts that I know of.
A high OG, the right yeast and a warmer ferment, along with a bit of oxygen, don't introduce it just let it happen with age and you are headed in the right direction.

K

Special B will give a very strong raisin flavour to the finished beer. If you can't find special B, go with the darkest English crystal malt you can find, approx. 150L+.

You can also use sugar to add a rum-raisin character, but you have to "cook" it first. You put dry white table sugar into a saucepan and heat it on the stove until it melts, darkens, and pretty much starts to boil. Stir very vigorously the entire time. Stop when it's roughly the colour of a beer bottle. You won't have to add much to your wort to get a subtle raisin character, maybe 125ml or so. Special B is a better choice, though.

Try contacting G&G and using their dark candi syrup in place of dark sugar. It's got more raisins than a Christmas cake. :eek:

Warren -

Raisins?..... :p

Hey someone had to say it...

I've found Muscavado sugar and cara malts like CaraAmber, CaraRed etc give a really nice background flavour of dried fruits and raisins

I've used some Dark Muscavado (around 4%) for the first time in a dark ale so will be interested to see what it does contribute.

I have definately manage raisiny flavours with Weyemann Cara Aroma and Wyeast 1762!

C&B
TDA

Thanks all for your kind responses. As usual with this fantastic hobby there are more than 10,000 ways to skin a cat.

I think I am going to experiment with the malts first but my gut tells me it's a mix of the malts and yeast. So I think if I can get Malt and hops profile right then it's just a matter which of the yeasts is going to work with me on this recipe.

Thanks all for your kind responses. As usual with this fantastic hobby there are more than 10,000 ways to skin a cat.

I think I am going to experiment with the malts first but my gut tells me it's a mix of the malts and yeast. So I think if I can get Malt and hops profile right then it's just a matter which of the yeasts is going to work with me on this recipe.

Chappo - I was probably being a little harsh on Windsor - I have used it twice on English Beers and both have been failures - not undrinkable but just really sweet and fruity and one didn't drop the yeast (could have been infected) but was tipped out from memory - looked like the yarra.

The one that was more drinkable (which had some dark crystal in it BTW) was like a fruit cake - raisins were the only flavour I could taste at that point.

I know others use Windsor and rate it - I haven't had success with Windsor like I have with some liquids (1272/1084) and Nottingham - maybe its just my process but this is the only dry yeast I have used and not been 100% happywith.

Don't let that put you off - for a dry yeast it will certainly throw fruity notes - I got raisins - see how you go.

Cheers

RM

I think your pretty close there. Raisin type character from what I understand is an esther, so derived from the yeast reacting with the malt. I had a Fullers 1845 the other night, an Old Ale style and that had a beautiful soft raisin and plummy character, but age has a part to play too I reckon. They say that beer is aged for 100 days, how they age it I don't know, but age does contribute to that raisin flavour. More exprienced brewers here would be able to recommend specific yeast strains (some already have) and malt combos than I can, so possibly not the most informative reply really! :rolleyes:

I think your pretty close there. Raisin type character from what I understand is an esther, so derived from the yeast reacting with the malt. I had a Fullers 1845 the other night, an Old Ale style and that had a beautiful soft raisin and plummy character, but age has a part to play too I reckon. They say that beer is aged for 100 days, how they age it I don't know, but age does contribute to that raisin flavour. More exprienced brewers here would be able to recommend specific yeast strains (some already have) and malt combos than I can, so possibly not the most informative reply really! :rolleyes:

There are two ways to get a raisin character, and they depend primarily on the OG of the beer you're brewing. For low OG beers (1.060 or so and below), the only way to get raisins is to use a raisin-y malt like special B, a dark English crystal, or cara-aroma. For high OG beers (1.090 or so and above), the high alcohol in conjunction with high proportion of residual sugars and some oxidation will naturally produce raisin or dark fruit flavours even without any dark crystal or similar malts in the grist. Where esters are concerned, I've never encountered a raisin ester, but I'd welcome tips as to which yeast strain will produce it.

Go for the maple flavouring for the side benefit of pancakes. I ordered internationally through amazon.com in the states a box of the stuff for pancake purposes alone. Aussie costs on syrup is extortionist to the extreme. To make paxake syrup used 1/2 tsp of extract or so. You are talking 7 cents or less to make syrup costing upwards of $10 in the shops here localy. I even make my own self raising flour mix and pancake mix as that costs cents compared to the one use mixers in the supermarkets here. Buttermilk will react and make extra fluffy pancakes :) -- 7c + 12c of generic std sugar In a ratio comparisson means you save in the thousands of dollars which justifies ordering it with intl shipping. And of course spend your savings on more brew equipment and supplies + can try your raisin flavour. Win win :)

Greetings from the USA from someone raised in maple syrup producing territory!

I think there's 3 different maple things in the conversation now.

1. Fake maple syrup is the liquid stuff that's 98% corn syrup. In the USA it's sold under brand names like Mrs Butterworth, Aunt Jemima, and Log Cabin. It has a raisiny taste and doesn't really taste much like maple.

2. Maple flavouring extract is the stuff used for making cookies with, and tastes a little more like maple. If you're used to fake maple syrup, reconstituting this is a fine substitute.

3. Real maple syrup contains nothing but maple sap and has the real maple flavor. This is the good stuff, it's what you want on pancakes--it's like night and day comparing this with the fake stuff. I think "Camp" is one brand of real syrup available in Oz.

My pancake recipe, converted to metric (You can mix up a whole bunch of the dry part ahead of time, then just add egg/butter/milk to a scoop of it when you need to make pancakes):
240 ml milk (buttermilk is best, but others will work)
2 large eggs
10 ml melted butter

240 ml white flour
30 ml sugar
10 ml baking powder (hopefully it's called the same thing there--different from plain baking soda)
Large dash of salt (maybe 1 ml)

Mix the dry stuff together. Add the rest, but add the milk slowly and stop when you get a good consistency (240ml is about right depending on how humid it is).

If you're really after big fluffy pancakes, definitely use buttermilk (the acid helps the baking powder work) and separate the yolks and whites and whisk a lot of air into the whites before adding them (and add them last).
And use _real_ maple syrup--the fake stuff is 98% corn syrup.

I am trying to nut out a recipe for a clone and I need a hint of raisins? It's basically a brown ale with an amber tinge. Any ideas?

Ok Chappo Here is the secret , you want to impart a raisin flavour you really need Briess 'Special Roast' but you cant get that in Australia .

So here is what you do.

Take some crystal malted grain 100 EBC.

Soak in water for 24 hours .

drain and spread on baking paper and bake in oven at about 120C

You will get a lovely toasted raisiny flavour from the grain

Pumpy ( Ps dont tell anyone this secret ;) )

Ok Chappo Here is the secret , you want to impart a raisin flavour you really need Briess 'Special Roast' but you cant get that in Australia .

So here is what you do.

Take some crystal malted grain 100 EBC.

Soak in water for 24 hours .

drain and spread on baking paper and bake in oven at about 120C

You will get a lovely toasted raisiny flavour from the grain

Pumpy ( Ps dont tell anyone this secret ;) )

:lol: Thanks pumpy your secret is safe with me!
Well I tried steeping combinations of grains last night in a coffee plunger and to be honest nothing jumped out at me and said YES. I will give the roasting ago tonight, so I can maybe be putting something together for a brew friday night, time permitting.

How much % wise would you suggest into the grain bill pumpy?

:lol: Thanks pumpy your secret is safe with me!
Well I tried steeping combinations of grains last night in a coffee plunger and to be honest nothing jumped out at me and said YES. I will give the roasting ago tonight, so I can maybe be putting something together for a brew friday night, time permitting.

How much % wise would you suggest into the grain bill pumpy?

I reckon it can be hard to spot just by steeping, you need a bit of fermentation to happen as it changes the aromas imo..

Seriously....why not try adding some raisins.

i know Bindi did a chocolate beer using a rum & raisin bar, & by all accounts all the flavours came through beautifully into the beer.

cheers Ross

Seriously....why not try adding some raisins.

i know Bindi did a chocolate beer using a rum & raisin bar, & by all accounts all the flavours came through beautifully into the beer.

cheers Ross

Actually not a bad idea Ross! I tried a strong belgian that a mate made with Sultanas in it and the flavour comes across!

Hmmmm? Raisins you say?
Well it's not a stupid suggestion but if I do it there are consequences. I will have to grovel to InCider for forgiveness foir starters... I kinda gave him one in the ribs for the suggestion but I have big shoulders.

Maybe a soak in hot boiling water, even a boil? Then a quick blend to release the flavours? Correct me if I'm wrong but grapes and raisins are wild yeast magnets so I will definitely have to boil them to kill any nasties?

Hmmmm? Raisins you say?
Well it's not a stupid suggestion but if I do it there are consequences. I will have to grovel to InCider for forgiveness foir starters... I kinda gave him one in the ribs for the suggestion but I have big shoulders.

Maybe a soak in hot boiling water, even a boil? Then a quick blend to release the flavours? Correct me if I'm wrong but grapes and raisins are wild yeast magnets so I will definitely have to boil them to kill any nasties?

I know grapes are, not sure about raisins.. Im also not sure if youd want to boil them? Maybe, maybe not? If not maybe soak them in vodka and add to secondary? Or you could steam em like I did with oak chips..

Hmm, to boil or not to boil, that is the question :p

Hmmmm...vodka you say?

I was definely going to go to secondary basically treat it like a fruit beer, although I haven't done one of those yet. There's a thread on here about Ginger Beer and Ginger Plant which one of the methods to start the plant is to use raisins hence my trepidations with just throwing raisins in untreated for nasties. Might have to read up a bit more on technique with using fruits?

Although my gut feel is still with a malt and yeast combo that throws raisin overtones.

BTW thank Newguy for your input your thoughts are inline with some of my irrational thinking.

SumnerH: G'day Mate! :icon_offtopic: I am going to have a crack at that recipe for pancakes, thanks for sharing. I lived in New York for 3 years and absolutely miss my hit of American cuisine. I banter alot about the marple syrup not being REAL maple syrup here in OZ. I have a couple of Camp bottle in the pantry which is close but no dice compared to the real stuff. I remember as a kid in New Jersey making maple syrup at school. Good days!

So if you're after coffee flavour in a stout, you should add coffee. Fruity ale? What better than fruit? I sometimes detect sherbet-like flavours in Eurolagers like Utenos gold and Svyturys. I wonder how much sherbet they put in?

Couldn't agree with your sentiments more PoMo. Make beer, not beer + x.

Back