What hops should I use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer?

Reaction score
Today I'll be dry hopping my red IPA. I'm after some opinions on what to dry hop it with. So far I have used Columbus for bittering. Columbus, Simcoe and Chinook at 20 minutes. And Simcoe, chinook at 0 minutes to a total of 60 ibu.

I'm not sure weather I want to dry hop with Columbus, Simcoe, Chinook. Just Simcoe, Chinook. Or Simcoe, Chinook, Mosaic.

What are people's thoughts?

To keep with the lat addition theme, Simcoe/Chinook however a mother daughter show with Simcoe/Mosaic would be pretty good.

Simcoe/Mosaic gets my vote. These 2 complement each other perfectly with one being piney/resiney and the other fruity. I use this combo in my house IPA.

The only one on your list I'd stay away from for dry hopping is Columbus, I always get overpowering onion flavors when using it anytime later than 20mins.

Had a quick taste and felt it could do with a little fruit kick. Ended up going 30g each of chinook, Simcoe and mosaic. Can't wait to get it into the keg.

timmyf said:
The only one on your list I'd stay away from for dry hopping is Columbus, I always get overpowering onion flavors when using it anytime later than 20mins.
Timmy,

Columbus is an amazing hop for late additions and especially dry hop.

It can be quite dank and dominating but to balance that is you dont like full dank, using Simcoe or Citra is a perfect combo. Ofetn Using too much late and not having the ABV to balance it can also impact your impression of this hop.

The onion flavour you get is from the hops being old and exposed to oxygen. Those can still be used for bittering and perform well. I've experienced those flavours/aromas from using columbus and after listening to Lagunatis Can You Brew it podcast with the brewing network and they make Hop Stoopid with a huge amount of late Columbus, they described the reasons why.

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/post1671/

my Rye IPA is a combination of equal parts simcoe, mosaic and columbus @ 10 minutes and dry hop. excellent combination of fruity and dank. I find it gives a nice red papaya aroma.

Sort of +1 to ^^ by Coodgee (& pratty) - at least with their explanations)

My primary selection would be to choose between Simcoe & Mosaic; and combine that choice with Columbus & Chinook.
The idea being the Columbus is dank & herbally, the Chinook is piney & spicy; and then you choose your fruity option (Simcoe or Mosaic).

Or just use all 4. [emoji41]

Edit: reread your hop schedule. I'd go with the Simcoe as you've already used it. And I'd go with Columbus, because dank is always a winner for me. Up to you with the Chinook - if you were tight and wanted to save it, the kettle additions should in theory give you some of the pine & spice so you could skip it in the dry addition. If you had plenty to play with, I'd throw some in as well.

technobabble66 said:
Or just use all 4.
1huqj6.jpg

Back