What Has Happened To Craftbrewer Radio?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The podcast was or is ok, but very one-eyed, but also a good round up of current ABC and other news with regard to scinece and beer at times its worth listening to alteast once, for his North Queenslandish use of terms such as "pacifically" instead of specifically, and pronouncing Zymergy, as zigamy,

He has decided to take a break it seems, not sure for how long or anything though....

This could save me some money as I pay for the hosting on the 'real' craftbrewer domain.

I will contact the Guru to find out.

Graham Thingy has a few opinions sure; and he may have been mis-sold and misinformed one time, when folk entered into a certain deal involving a cheap source of hops he stated from the outset that he couldn't be held accountable for quality, or delivery, or anything really, - which might have been a bit controversial - but you didn't have to give him any money, nor read the 9000 page accompanying thread, nor is it compulsory to listen to his podcast... streuth, what's wrong with some people... he's probably having a rest.

Graham Thingy has a few opinions sure; and he may have been mis-sold and misinformed one time, when folk entered into a certain deal involving a cheap source of hops he stated from the outset that he couldn't be held accountable for quality, or delivery, or anything really, - which might have been a bit controversial - but you didn't have to give him any money, nor read the 9000 page accompanying thread, nor is it compulsory to listen to his podcast... streuth, what's wrong with some people... he's probably having a rest.

but when the product was bad, he could have just said, well, shit, we got screwed but for only $20...instead of defending the bad hops by swearing that it must be the lack of brewing skill and saying that many people really like them, just can't tell you who.

Indeed, what IS wrong with some people?

I agree. I think some of the crap being said here is a bit rough to be honest. It may not have been the most successful BB but FFS it was the first time anybody has ever seen Chinese hops - everybody knew the risks and uncertainties. I'm not saying GLS handled things perfectly (pretty clear he didn't), but its worth remembering he put a fair bit of effort into organising the BB, even if it didn't turn out the way most hoped it would. Instead of whinging and whining about the quality, while sitting firmly on your arses, maybe you should give some gratitude for the effort he (and those who helped him) put in before he even had a chance to assess the quality.

I didn't get any of the hops, I'll stick to the nobles thanks. But from what I have heard they seem very similar to a lot of Australian varieties (like Cluster, cascade and Tassie Hallertau) - bugger all grunt and less favourable flavours compared to their foreign counterparts. But you don't hear people ripping into those as much, and they cost >5 times more.

maybe you should give some gratitude for the effort he (and those who helped him) put in before he even had a chance to assess the quality.

Prior to everything turning pear-shaped he posted about turning down an offer from the supplier for some samples to check the quality. I think he is getting due gratitude for that element of the BB.

TD: Many of us did appreciate the effort and had posted a thankyou. The hops were worth the gamble and we all knew this going into it. Where people take exception however is when he denied there were any quality problems and accused those who had problems of being bad brewers. Nobody was having a go at him for organising the hops but the silly accusations when trying to start a second buy.

If he had left it at the fact that it was a gamble that didn't really turn out, I'm sure nobody would have had a problem.

And to think he stated a return was on the cards for another great buy later this year. I have the TV turned off and the popcorn ready :ph34r:

Yes, he did rub me the wrong way as well. The rub is that I did not appreciate his statement that if you could not use the hops and get the best out of it, you can't brew. Honestly, this forum is far bigger than GLS. It is now more of a community than what it was when I joined and what with all the wisdom GLS has he should have understood that.
GLS sort of reminded me of that sheriff in Unforgiven its either my way or.......
Anyway looking forward to his return and most likely demise, but it should be a hell of a ride :lol: Hopefully Darren is back by then to add his twist to another AHB soapy :lol:

BYB

Edit:
If he had left it at the fact that it was a gamble that didn't really turn out, I'm sure nobody would have had a problem.

Boom Boom

So has anyone tried making a Chinese IPA with all their leftovers yet?

Uber hop burst at 50+g/L.........

Hell, if anyone in Sydney has some of these hops laying about that they won't ever use I'll give it a hit, I'll even donate the grain.

They just don't work as an aroma hop, but I have used smaller quantities in an oatmeal stout that was well received, in a couple of English Bitters that turned out ok and a Czech Pilsener that turned out drinkable but woefully short on aroma. I've also used the Cluster as the sole bitterer in a strong brown ale, bottled last night so can't comment yet but the sneak samples tasted ok. As previous posters said if you think they are going to turn out as good as noble hops or "true" German and UK varieties then you would be disappointed. However there are plenty of Non-Chinese hops around that can be a bit underwhelming. As a selection I'd have to say Newport, Admiral and NZ Fuggles. Good workhorse hops but nothing to write home about and in my experience so far, not that much different in quality to the Chinese Cluster and MP.

Would you care to share the "history" or maybe point me towards it?
Find this a very interesting first post considering GLS said he was coming back under another name, perhaps he has put in a number and this is just one of his fishing account to feel the love factor???

Perhaps The Real Craftbrewer would like to comment on that....

Hey Pete,

If you want to try an IPA you can have my hops. Still got about 1.2kg
Let me know, Ill brim em along Tuesday.

Gregor

Find this a very interesting first post considering GLS said he was coming back under another name, perhaps he has put in a number and this is just one of his fishing account to feel the love factor???

No doubt you will be keeping a close eye on happenings :lol: :lol:

meerkat.jpg

Bloody meerkat's :lol:

So has the original question being answered?

"I have been searching the web to find out why Graham Sanders and the Cellarman have stopped producing their podcast. Does anyone know?"

Yep, good, nothing to look at here, move along, yawn.

This reminds me of a thread last month, and the month before, and the month before that;;; and next month..

QldKev

Unlikely.
I'm not even in the same hemisphere as you guys! I have been listening to GLS for all of last year. I stopped around October and went looking for a new one this week out of interest. When I saw the last one was December I Googled "What happened to Craftbrewer radio" and this thread is 4th in the list. When I saw the cryptic suggestions of a fight I posted a question. Funny, cause I was listening to his Podcast regarding the bulk buy and was thinking I wouldn't go near that even if I could!.

I actually kinda liked his shows though, very knowledgable, if a little arrogant.

Far too much good spelling in your posts packetstormer. Definitely not GLS.... :ph34r:

Cheers :D

Hey Pete,

If you want to try an IPA you can have my hops. Still got about 1.2kg
Let me know, Ill brim em along Tuesday.

Gregor
If I was low on stocks I would maybe consider it for a "why not?!" brew, but no thanks Greg. :beer:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back