What Do You Do With Your Used Grains After Mashing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did put the spent grain in the compost but now i get naked and roll around in it, then put it in the compost.

I shelve it! :ph34r:

If not in that kind of mood, it goes in the garden bin..

Dumped in the yard for a while, apparently the birds in the area don't eat grain - but bush mice do! <_<

if you have dogs and want really easy dog turds to clean up, then give them some spent grain. their turds end up kinda like weetbix and just disintergrate into nothing when hit with a hose!!!

cant help myself

search 'spent grain'. there are at least 4 seperate threads on this topic

can't help myself

No new topics or posts, No forum

How's those pain killers goin?

back on topic: some go to chooks, most in the bin as they smell pretty quick.

Chooks. 4 of them here and they get straight into it esp. when it's still warm with steam coming off it!

Spread it out with a rake, helps stop it smelling. I find if the efficiency is over about 80% there isn't a lot of sugar left for it to go really stinky

Spent grain, hops and pommice ( from cyder making) go to my local farm. I get to eat it again later as good roasting joints of Glouster Old Spot and eggs.

Jay

I'd reckon the local farm or chooks would be your best bet. A distillery I worked for had a deal going with a local farmer, spent grain for steaks and I know several commercial microbrewers that have deals going for eggs/meat.
It's apparently FULL of good nutrients for edible animals, like a vitamin rich porridge.

All the spent grain from my local brewery ( Wychwood Brewery) go to animals for fodder, by the farm trailer load.

med_gallery_592_88_547205.jpg

med_gallery_592_88_94203.jpg

I've got a big yard so I put it on my rose garden. I've got no idea if anything eats it though but there are lot animals around that might. Guess I might keep an eye out, I don't want to breed rats or mice.

Cool, thanks manticle for showing me how to search a site with Google, I had no idea how to do that. It will come in handy as I learn more.

Looks like alot of interesting uses for the grains, however we don't have chooks or cows. I will probably compost them for a while until I find somebody nearby with chooks to barter with. I know I'll get snakes and rats if I stick them on the garden though.

Cheers for the ideas!

- Shred.

Great in the compost - no trouble with mice in either bin - I think it gets that bloody hot in there that it may be too uncomfortable for them??

Cool, thanks manticle for showing me how to search a site with Google, I had no idea how to do that. It will come in handy as I learn more.

The default search function is useless. The google search bar above it will search within the site using google search engine. Took me a couple of years before I worked that out.

The default search function is useless. The google search bar above it will search within the site using google search engine. Took me a couple of years before I worked that out.

...yes, but how long to make the jacket?

Latest posts

Back