What Do You Do With Your Used Grains After Mashing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShredMaster

Reaction score
I'm starting to get a setup organised to start BIAB but SWMBO is wanting to know what to do with the spent grains. I would probably just bin them but it got me thinking about what else they can be good for (if anything).

Anybody got any creative uses for it?

I told her that I would be brewing in order to do "my part in helping climate change" as I would be recycling bottles and reducing garbage from the bottle shop etc. Now she wants me to find a use for the grains...

Bloody hippies... :chug:

I've used it in bread, dog biscuits, compost and given it away as chook food. The problem is the quantity produced rather than the uses! It's best to probably compost it and take small amounts for other uses when you want it.

I make dog biscuits every few batch's, the rest unfortunately goes in the bin as I have no other use for it & compost isn't an option ATM with the mouse plague we're having down here

Lets face it, pine bark is sooooo Nineties

mulch__Large_.jpg

There would have to be about 20 brews worth there, it just keeps rotting down into the Bribie Sand underneath.

I wish I could do that...

I feed em to my neighbor and brewing assistant... Donk

2ch9kjl.jpg

He always trots up to the fence when he see's the kettle coming out :icon_drool2: the neighbors probably wonder what the hell I'm feeding him :lol:

It's a good relationship we've got going on, he gets my grains and scraps and I get his fertilizer for my hops and chilli's :kooi:

I feed em to my neighbor and brewing assistant... Donk

2ch9kjl.jpg

He always trots up to the fence when he see's the kettle coming out :icon_drool2: the neighbors probably wonder what the hell I'm feeding him :lol:

It's a good relationship we've got going on, he gets my grains and scraps and I get his fertilizer for my hops and chilli's :kooi:

Love it!
Where south are you - that's looking decidedly like the bit between Jimboomba and Hendra Beaudesert.
We might have the cure for a particular virus - beer (or at least mashed grains).

Goomba

Lets face it, pine bark is sooooo Nineties

View attachment 47579

There would have to be about 20 brews worth there, it just keeps rotting down into the Bribie Sand underneath.

Classy Bribie, even resolves getting fungal blooms on the grain when you havent enough dry material to mix through when composting.

Gar, that's one cool pony, looks like he wears beer goggles.

I use some to feed the worm farm (they get plenty of scraps anyway), dig it into the veggie patch, or use it in breads I make.

Put some in a bowl, add some milk and you have breakfast.

Yep + 1 for the pony disposal system, they can smell it when i mash and wait at the gate for it.

Goes to the chook and mulch bin. Once I chucked the lot on the vege patch during a summer, damn thing went stinky really quick and flies bred like crazy. Have learnt to spread it around and not leave it in a heap.

Love it!
Where south are you - that's looking decidedly like the bit between Jimboomba and Hendra Beaudesert.
We might have the cure for a particular virus - beer (or at least mashed grains).

Goomba

haha yep, you may have a point there

I'm in chambers flat, not a bad guess!

Recipe for the dog biscuits?

Mine goes to chook. Chook loves brew days, but I think the local possums help her with the used grain.

I've tried composting or on the garden beds, but it always ends up stinking up the place. Now i just scoop it all into garbage bags and straight in the bin. Really should give it to the neighbour's chooks, but afraid i'll get some pretty dodgy sideways looks.

cant help myself

search 'spent grain'. there are at least 4 seperate threads on this topic

I've tried composting or on the garden beds, but it always ends up stinking up the place. Now i just scoop it all into garbage bags and straight in the bin. Really should give it to the neighbour's chooks, but afraid i'll get some pretty dodgy sideways looks.

Not from the chooks you won't. :)

You could offer to "sell it cheap" to your neighbour. People are funny. If something is free we assume it is worthless. If someone puts a price on the same thing we think it has worth...
This psychomolology doesn't apply to chooks. They know a tasty belly filler when they see it.

I stopped using it for compost when the mice turned up. Goes in a shopping bag then into the wheelie bin.

Spent grain in the back yard + sacks of delicious grain in the spare room = rodent problems.

I used to give it to the hops I grew back home. They absorbed it really well. Won't bother up here it will stink up in an hour.

Back