What Did You Actually End Up Drinking On Christmas Day?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Furstenberg was the beer of the day. As noted in a earlier post...Damn the QLD government. I would love to buy beer in a supermarket like i do when i visit the parents in Melbourne or when i ws in Europe in Sep/Oct this year. They dont want me to binge drink but it is cheaper and more value for money to buy a carton than a 6 pack.

Ah now back home quaffing a stout. I now have a strange desire to get some limes and lemons and ... noooooooooo

FFS man is it winter up there in QLD (I think not)

Down here in S.A I quietly sat back and enjoyed a nice ESB followed by an APA then a nice Wit. Great day,great f###ing day. High 20c weather could not ask for much better. Although Newyears eve is looking even greater as well, mid 20's. Makes a change from the last two years, bloody high 30's and closer to 40c two years ago. It was so bloody hot two years ago that the mossies never even turned up :eek:

BYB

Bit of a mix here.
A couple of glasses of sparkling burgundy while opening pressies, a stella, and a 2-3yo Belgian courtesy of Jazzafish.
Boxing day beers were, a NS Summer Ale (again, courtesy of Jazzafish), a Murrays 2IPA and a Coconut Dark Ale of mine.
HOpe you all had fun

shots of something called "Lemon Fcker", which was so incredibly sour it was like having 20 sour Warheads all at once. Then Amsterdam Mariner 500mL cans, shots of Tequila, ate a tiny little Quail my cousin cooked up and followed that with another few litres of beer and ended the night with a Bloody Mary and ate the celery (because it's good for you)

woke up this morning and had a Gatorade with vodka on the way home, SWMBO was less than impressed :D

....G'day BribieG, indeed we do have beer at Nectar in Brisbane , but we dont have bottled beer in many of the bottlo's up here...quite a lot are unreceptive to anything other than the big guys and we are but minnows......we do have some of our range in a small but ever increasing number of restaurants in the area..."Fish on Parkyn" at Mooloolaba, 'Harry's on Buderim' being just two that spring to mind...Our best bitter and summer ale are available on tap at Pennyfathings at Montville as well...we'll just keep chipping away for other suitable venues, which is fairly tough...

... therefore we are turning our focus on getting the punters both local and tourists to experience the beers here at the brewery, where we know they can be looked after as well as resuming cooked meals with an obviously beer friendly menu, later trading hours etc...all to be undertaken in the new year...
for now you can always come and see us here and try the beers on tap...we'll have a new pale/golden ale on tap in a couple of weeks which will be closely followed by a wide range of international beer styles in the coming weeks and months...we will be brewing a rotating roster of beers to keep things interesting for everybody...oh yeah , our bottled range is available here at the brewery as well....we are out of best bitter in bottles at the moment but will have more bottled very soon...

...completely affiliated etc,etc...

Cheers , Scott

Sunshine Coast Brewery
13 Endeavour Drive
Kunda Park QLD 4556
(07) 4576 6666
I'm going to have to make the trip up on my holidays I think. I'll post a pic in the what's in the glass thread, but the packaging is fantastic (As was the beer!) Listing the malts and hops used is sure to get the homebrewer on side. All you need to do is add %'s and boil times. Great work :beerbang:

I took it easy on the beer front because Xmas lunch was so big. Therefore I limited myself to Shepherd Neame's Kentish Ale, Badger's Fursty Ferret, Badger's Golden Champion and Youngs Christmas Pudding Ale.

Christmas Eve beers were Adnams Bitter, Ruddles County, Fraoch Heather Ale, Shepherd Neame 1698, Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock, Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout and probably some Shepherd Neame Christmas Ale.

I can't wait to shake this cold and try some of the good beers that I've bought. ;-)

....G'day BribieG, indeed we do have beer at Nectar in Brisbane , but we dont have bottled beer in many of the bottlo's up here...quite a lot are unreceptive to anything other than the big guys and we are but minnows......we do have some of our range in a small but ever increasing number of restaurants in the area..."Fish on Parkyn" at Mooloolaba, 'Harry's on Buderim' being just two that spring to mind...Our best bitter and summer ale are available on tap at Pennyfathings at Montville as well...we'll just keep chipping away for other suitable venues, which is fairly tough...

... therefore we are turning our focus on getting the punters both local and tourists to experience the beers here at the brewery, where we know they can be looked after as well as resuming cooked meals with an obviously beer friendly menu, later trading hours etc...all to be undertaken in the new year...
for now you can always come and see us here and try the beers on tap...we'll have a new pale/golden ale on tap in a couple of weeks which will be closely followed by a wide range of international beer styles in the coming weeks and months...we will be brewing a rotating roster of beers to keep things interesting for everybody...oh yeah , our bottled range is available here at the brewery as well....we are out of best bitter in bottles at the moment but will have more bottled very soon...

...completely affiliated etc,etc...

Cheers , Scott

Sunshine Coast Brewery
13 Endeavour Drive
Kunda Park QLD 4556
(07) 4576 6666

Scott, I'll be on the Sunshine Coast for the first week of January and am looking forward to visiting the brewery. It is the only thing locked into the itinerary at this stage. I suppose everything and everyone else will just have to fall into line.

Scott, I'll be on the Sunshine Coast for the first week of January and am looking forward to visiting the brewery. It is the only thing locked into the itinerary at this stage. I suppose everything and everyone else will just have to fall into line.

....hi goomboogo ( and anyone else interested).... feel free to drop in while yr here & say hi....we are closed New Years Day & Sundays....open 11am otherwise...might be an idea to ring ahead and make sure i'm not having a punch up with the bottling machine...

Cheers , Scott

Sunshine Coast Brewery
13 Endeavour Drive
Kunda Park QLD 4556
(07) 4576 6666

I'm going to have to make the trip up on my holidays I think. I'll post a pic in the what's in the glass thread, but the packaging is fantastic (As was the beer!) Listing the malts and hops used is sure to get the homebrewer on side. All you need to do is add %'s and boil times. Great work :beerbang:

...Thanks jlm , much appreciated...the credit for that belongs to the boss Greg and with some imput from one of my predecessors Ian Watson, i believe...the packaging does have a 'green' look to it and is simple and effective..and folding those four packs has improved my origami no end...hope to see you up here soon...

...sorry about the ot's folks...so...i drank these xmas day...

...rogers beer , LCPA, Staropramen (lovely fresh) , White Shield IPA, Chimay white label, Cascade Wheat, Erdinger Krystall (freshed one i've had) our hefe, our summer ale, our best bitter, Northern Rivers stout (very good) , Hofbrau Dunkel, test batches and half a trifle....

Cheers, Scott

I shared a bottle of this amongst some other fine wines from a friend's cellar. Also a couple litres of a nice microbrewed weizen.

Bought a keg of Stone & Wood Draught Ale :icon_drool2: to take around to a mates place for a 2 day session as he was having a keg of blonde and a horde of guests. He ran out on Boxing day night with the visitors sucking it down (funny how people you never see always turn up when a keg or 2 is on) and telling me how shit Stone & Wood is <_< (tastes like Fruity Elexia or Passona they whine). Tell them about hops and they only think that is something that frogs do. Great for me thou as I still have plenty to keep me going into New Years and beyond :icon_drunk: . No hangover off quality preservative free beer. Gotta love mainstream beer lovers at times like that.

....hi goomboogo ( and anyone else interested).... feel free to drop in while yr here & say hi....we are closed New Years Day & Sundays....open 11am otherwise...might be an idea to ring ahead and make sure i'm not having a punch up with the bottling machine...

Cheers , Scott

Sunshine Coast Brewery
13 Endeavour Drive
Kunda Park QLD 4556
(07) 4576 6666

The secret with a bottling machine is to duck when you need to duck and to weave when you need to weave. The rest will take care of itself.

Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock

I never knew this existed... I must have it!!!

I had 2 VBs while a homebrew chilled a little, then had my Aussie Ale.

My VB drinking Uncle who hosted said it tasted 'interesting' - but noted that it kept a good head - seemingly homebrew is always tack-flat in his mind.

Our Christmas is not about getting tanked at all, unfortunately.

Was in Tassie for the week and about an hour from any bottlo, so on the way to the FIL's we decided to stock up with 4 slabs to last us till we were in town again. I chose a slab of JSAA and a slab of Beck (not imported unfortunatly), but there wasn't much on offer. The brother in law chose VB and Hahn super dry. Of course my slabs went first so I ended up drinking the later, which reminded me how crap VB is and how terrible low carb beers are. But that said I still didn't complain cause we were playing cricket and havin' barbies and it was in the best of company. Hope you all had a great chrissie and of course have a very drunken new year :icon_cheers: , I know I will

A Christmas tradition amongst the eight drinking age men in our family is to turn up with a very bad shirt plus a Premium Beer of your choice for everyone to sample.

This year in no particular order: Pepperjack; Kingfisher; Phuket; Monteith's Celtic; Carlsberg; Sinha; Kokanee; and the one nobody wanted - Crown. Plus, of course, 8 really bad shirts.

In between, I took along a few ESBs to refresh the palate.

Cheers, Peter B

Started with a bottle of Chandon NV.... followed by our home brew!

Coopers pale ale, yum, i knew i was in for some terrible beer so i drank 6 of these first. Then i had carlton draught, tooheys old. Thank god for coopers, if i have to buy beer this is number one i think.

I ended up drinking way to much... :ph34r:

Opposite for me.

Had a couple of pale ales, then since xmas night i've been on the couch with a flu and chest infection for the last 5 days... not liking it at all...

Back