What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people also like Limp Bizkit and Insane Clown Posse

Ignorance etc....

Magnets, how do they work?

I was waiting for a punchline with that one, you know, like maby they're heads were masks and when the ripped them off it was eminem or Snoop Dogg underneath.

I feel robbed of those precious IQ points I was saving for festive season binge drinking.

I need some omega 3 - stat..

Last edited by a moderator:
Celtic Frost: Monotheist.

If I'm going to listen to metal, then I like it like this. Deep, dirty, aggressive but without screech I am so black evil wanker BM style stuff from some other bands.

A bit dirgey and doomy and sludgy which is up my alley too.

Thanks lecter - lots to get through. Some me, some not me but definitely helps me develop a more informed opinion.

Monotheist is a really, really, good album. Best thing Celtic Frost have done in years.

I was waiting for a punchline with that one, you know, like maby they're heads were masks and when the ripped them off it was eminem or Snoop Dogg underneath.

I feel robbed of those precious IQ points I was saving for festive season binge drinking.

I need some omega 3 - stat..

Don't look at this then, Juggalo Gathering Documentary

The world is truly fucked.

Trying to put together a playlist of Christmas songs, and I can't get beyond The Pogues 'Fairytale in New York', King Diamond 'No Presents for Christmas' and Slade, because they're Slade and every Christmas needs Slade for drunken foot-stamping.

Pretty intense, they clearly like their early Dillinger. Was jamming beside a similar sounding band earlier this year (but being a bunch of ageing thrash punks we made snide comments about their sound in the safety of our own room, ignoring the fact that their musicianship was well beyond ours....). Wonder if it was them? Not a lot of bands doing that in my former home town.

Wonderful...

Now the most complex grain bill I can deal with is SMSH described phonetically to the man in the shop.

That was like like some ******* organophosphate sufferers social mixer.

I thank Crom every day that there are very few Juggalos in Australia, although I did see a hatchetman sticker on a motorbike the other day. I think I died a little inside.

Been spinning my latest LP aquisitions tonight. Rwake's lates 'Rest', which is exactly the sort of thing manticle should check out. Been a fan for many years now, and they keep getting better and better. They got onto a couple of music magazines top releases of 2011, and they deserve it.

Also been spinning Earth's latest 'Angels of Darkeness, Demons of Light' Nice Americana doom. Earth have gone from being Sunn0)))'s major influence to psychedelic grunge, to a very accomplished folk/Americana outfit. Incedently, Earth's driving force, Dylan Carlson, was Kurt Cobain's close friend, and according to some stories, was who found his body.

Pretty intense, they clearly like their early Dillinger. Was jamming beside a similar sounding band earlier this year (but being a bunch of ageing thrash punks we made snide comments about their sound in the safety of our own room, ignoring the fact that their musicianship was well beyond ours....). Wonder if it was them? Not a lot of bands doing that in my former home town.
there have been a handful of bris bands doing the chaotic thing in the last few years but none that I've seen are as hectic as these guys. Beats me how long it must take them to write a tune.

but being a bunch of ageing thrash punks we made snide comments about their sound in the safety of our own room,
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rwake's lates 'Rest', which is exactly the sort of thing manticle should check out.

Also been spinning Earth's latest 'Angels of Darkeness, Demons of Light' Nice Americana doom. .

He might have the former (this is my fave rwake so far), and I'm positive he has the latter (which I like but is a little sound-trackey for my liking, but yea kudos to them and what they do).

Do you groove on Bison B.C.'s latest? I can't stop listening to it...

Currently spinning Gormathon - Lens of Gaurdian, why is it that the Swedes are so good at metal?

Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dude.

Scored it as a xmas gift from my sister and her fella, plus it's on vinyl. Score.

why is it that the Swedes are so good at metal?

All those months of darkness.

In all seriousness, I read a great interview with the glam-wanker frontman from Children of Bodom (and a similar interview with some Norwegian black metallers and Finnish power metallers), but he was saying that so much shred metal comes out of that top scandinavian area (let's say roughly Sweden, Norway and Finalnd) not only due to the darkness, but due to the rich Germanic/Norse mythology of those areas that has not really been diluted (Grim Bros stories are just as brutal now as they were then, unlike a Disney-fied fairy tale book bought here now) AAAAAAND a governmental attitude that places a huge emphasis on 'the arts' as being a culturally valid export/trade. Some of the metal bands from those areas really are 'the biggest export' and this is because people like Ihsahn (incredibly proficient guitarist and frontman of highly controversial, musically technical second wave black metal band Emperor) are friggin guitar teachers in everyday settings! The kids in grade 3 can whip out stunning arpeggios and faultless modal riffs while the rest of us just use a wah pedal to hide the fact that we only know a pentatonic blues scale haha.

The upshot of this is that in these Northern European countries, there are just as many people (proportionally) listening to what the everyday Aussie would label 'extreme metal' as there are 'everyday Aussies' listening Pete Murray or whatever...

Not saying that this is good, bad or otherwise, but it is certainly what I have read and is definitely the anecdotal experience of my friends (admittedly mostly people listening to 'extreme' music of some sort) while touring Europe...the difference in attitutdes and vibe and viability of making a livlihood between musos in Southern Europe as opposed to the quality from Northern Europe is staggering.

Interesting case in point: get the live Candlemass anniversary dvd where they have a heap of different frontmen singing all night - the crowd is littered with people that make their living from music (from various European metal bands) but yet it is a relatively small gig....you are literally unable to accomplish that kind of international cred while still playing 300 people shows in Australia (as a metal band).

Sorry, I'm beyond tipsy and thought I'd offer an opinion on (what I find to be) an interesting topic... :icon_cheers:

Korpiklaani: Vodka*

Finnglish lyrics are tops

Vodka, wipes away your tears
Vodka, removes your fears
Vodka, everyone is gorgeous
Vodka, yeah vodka

Drinking is good for you,
Soon you are unconstrained
Here comes the womanizer
Not anymore lonesome
And you will feel awesome!!

Lyrics by Jonne Jrvel and Jasmani.

On the same album we have 'bring us pints of beer'. Never thought cheesy metal would be my thing but I have a great love for this band.

* pronounced 'wodka' of course.

Turbonegro - Apocalypse Dude.

Scored it as a xmas gift from my sister and her fella, plus it's on vinyl. Score.
Nice. One of my favourite bands ever. I even have my own tbrngr tramp stamp, lyrics from denim demon in Latin tattooed across the top of my ass. They reformed last year without hank and some English dude on vox, sounded really good. New album this year apparently. Meanwhile hank makes shitty Marilyn Manson electro rock with a bunch of black metal dudes.

Trying to put together a playlist of Christmas songs, and I can't get beyond The Pogues 'Fairytale in New York'

And why would you? I spent this Christmas climbing cradle mountain (so no music but the wind) but most dec 25 sees me playing this on vinyl several times over.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He might have the former (this is my fave rwake so far), and I'm positive he has the latter (which I like but is a little sound-trackey for my liking, but yea kudos to them and what they do).

just checked through the disc and can't find rwake. Would it be under another name?

Currently listening to Swans: Love of Life album and **** me but this band deserves its place in my favourites (not pc favourites but actual favourites)

Latest posts

Back