What are you listening to

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afgrund grind like **** also.

Could be worse I guess. Imagine being haunted by the ghost of Bon Jovi and Warrant.

...I still am...

Previously goatsnake, celtic frost and now moonsorrow. Some of the moonsorrw stuff I've heard has been a bit synth driven, lord of the rings nerdy stuff - this is more in line with my predeliction for finntroll and bits of korpiklaani. Actually very finntrollesque - Suden Uni.

I possibly should have been more discrepant with Moonsorrow and perhaps guided you to 'v Havietty' first - 60 mins of awesome ambient/black finnish metal...but I just love them so dumped the whole lot on you haha...I trust you can deal with the nerdiness...the later albums get blacker...

Goatsnake were the forerunners to Sunno))) by the way...

quaaludes and riffs maaaaaaannnnnn OMG WTF LOLzorz

Moonsorrow nerdiness was stuff I've heard prior to that CD when I've been checking out folk metal stuff.

The first one I clicked on from what you gave was the stuff I refer to above as more finntrollish (you know I love finntroll).

Now listening to 5ive: Hesperus (presumably not the boy band)

Pretty cool, almost post rock/post metal (only on first song so who knows how it will end up?)

Goatsnake were the forerunners to Sunno))) by the way...

quaaludes and riffs maaaaaaannnnnn OMG WTF LOLzorz

Wouldn't say that Goatsnake were forerunners to Sunn0))). Same label, one shared member, who is also a co-owner of the Southern Lord Label. I'd class them as a doom rock supergroup. Qualudes and riffs maaaaaaannnn is pretty close though! sunn0)))= no boogie, only hate. Goatsnake = 70's hard rock worshipping soulful doom. Robin Trower, Free, Sabbath re-jigged.

5ive are pretty cool. Any love for Colour Haze, Toner Low, UFOMammut and 35007 around these parts?

Wouldn't say that Goatsnake were forerunners to Sunn0))). Same label, one shared member, who is also a co-owner of the Southern Lord Label. I'd class them as a doom rock supergroup. Qualudes and riffs maaaaaaannnn is pretty close though! sunn0)))= no boogie, only hate. Goatsnake = 70's hard rock worshipping soulful doom. Robin Trower, Free, Sabbath re-jigged.

5ive are pretty cool. Any love for Colour Haze, Toner Low, UFOMammut and 35007 around these parts?

I'd suggest all those things absolutely make them fore-runners - music, like all art, isn't necessarily a direct lineage...just looking to take one extreme to another. I mostly groove on them with Attila, but that belies my other musical loves.

I have all of those listed, but of all of them my only multi-albuming belongs to UFOMammut.

Nice to have another less-than-conventional on board (there are plenty here). I like my beer brewed with love and disregard for rules, I like my grind made with fury, my doom recorded with angst, my punk recorded with heart and meaning, my groove recorded with a soulful beat and my metal with twin guitars (except Iommi and his minions). My vegies homegrown, my sourdough made with my friends culture and my laughter to be organic and natural. For every "evil CUB" drinker there is 10,000 consumers listening to mainstream music and buying what the machine feeds them...like your beer/food/art underground? Go all the way... it's always more rewarding...(preaching to the converted here I guess)...

And genuinely enjoying it.

Fair point - but only to a certain degree. Aristotle still gave us the 'practical' guide to why subjectivity only goes so far, but that is a discussion for another thread...don't know which one hahaha.

edit: am wiling to engage on that one though, especially in regards to Kant's take on aesthetics...the extreme subjectivity argument only holds so much water you understand...

Perhaps people may enjoy something else more but they may also enjoy the other stuff enough.

Ignorance is bliss, after all.

Perhaps people may enjoy something else more but they may also enjoy the other stuff enough.

Ignorance is bliss, after all.

Some people also like Limp Bizkit and Insane Clown Posse

Ignorance etc....

Magnets, how do they work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bust 'em in: Army of the Pharaohs

Celtic Frost: Monotheist.

If I'm going to listen to metal, then I like it like this. Deep, dirty, aggressive but without screech I am so black evil wanker BM style stuff from some other bands.

A bit dirgey and doomy and sludgy which is up my alley too.

Thanks lecter - lots to get through. Some me, some not me but definitely helps me develop a more informed opinion.

Fear Factory: Genetic Blueprint (off their techno remix album, Remanufacture)

Septagram - The Forbidden Path of Olympus.

Well.
Tis the season and all that shit..

Latest posts

Back