What are you brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pils, followed by an APA. Would love to do a bitter, but i cant bring myself to use pils malt in it. APA yeah, no worries, but a bitter needs MO i reckon. Anyway, i have simcoe, amarillo, cascade, so my apa should be fairly hoppy !!!

Brewed an irish red a couple of days ago that came out alot lighter in colour. Got the wrong colour for the choc malt I used but it tastes good when I racked it.

Brewed a bavarian Weizen today with my first crack at a step mash. 50C for 20mins then 68C for an hour. all went wel..

I had both my kegs run out on the same day with no reserves so tonight I'm drinking red wine. and its actually pretty good.

hockadays

Brewed a pale ale on Sunday with 40 IBU of nugget leaf from the 1kg bulk buy plugs, including big flavour and aroma additions. Smells and tastes great out of the fermenter - 'bout half done ATM. This will be a nightcap beer, hops are supposed to help you sleep eh?

Cheers, Andrew.

hockadays, Congrats on brewing a weizen. I got one going too - split batch with an underpitching experiment.

Some might say that a protein rest is unnecessary for a weizen, if you want the cloudiness. Others might say that a triple decoction does nothing for a beer that can't be done with melanoidin malt. I say, just let me brew my beers, and do my own experiments.

So, currently, I have an SFPA waiting to be bottled, a NNL Fresh-wort Sparkling blonde to be kegged, a split 32l batch of triple-decocted hefeweizen - almost finished fermentation, a 20l jerrycan of decoction-mashed Altbier, a 25l jerrycan of Stone's Best Bitter clone and plans for some quality lagers including a maibock and rauchbier (thanks 4 the reminder, Tony).

Maybe a Belgian or two? Another go at the Belgian pale that competed well a few years back, and a Trippel, or another "Fly-blown Belgian".
So many beers, so little time...and what was that whisper about a Gose?

mje1980, you can certainly make a good bitter with pils malt. IIRC, Gough does some good work with these beasts. I made a low-temp mash English Summer Ale with it, and it was v nice. In fact, I received a request for some today. It had a sour mash addition too. U could prob make a tasty bitter with your APA recipe and just a different yeast and hop variety. Too easy.

homebrewworld.com...Testify, bro!! Weizen is a great beer, even in Winter. Maybe a weizenbock (helles, of course), or an Aventinus clone, or maybe a Berliner weisse. The Berliner is more of a Summer or session beer. Anyone who got one recently from me, in their NSW Xuly case, you can hang on to it until Summer without any worries, I reckon, if U can wait. I've been a busy brewer. I wonder what my tally will be this year? and a few prizes would be nice, if the beers are worthy.

Seth out :p

Just finished a Porter, and now thinking of a dark ale with Nelson Savinoun hopps.

Just put into two fermenters

Gold rush Mabbots ale.
and a
Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale.
:D

Keged the ESB Old

Emptied the SHMBO honey lager :( . Need her to do another batch. :D

I chucked a sicky yesterday and made the following:

3 Kg Barret Burston Ale
255gms Rolled unmalted wheat
20gms Roasted malt
1 Kg LME

35gms Northern Brewer at 60 mins
20gms Willamette at 30 mins
20gms Willamette at 10 mins & LME

Brewing with Nottingham ale yeast

SG was 1050

Bubbling away nicely this morning.

Basically just made it up as i tried to get beer alchemy working at home but it didnt want to work :eek:

Stevo.

What style beer will that produce?

Cheers.

I havent brewed since my alcobase 20% alcowater which was a bit winey so now

I have a Coopers Cervez in primary with Brew enhancer #2

The next brews will be a Tooheys real Ale with 500gr of light dry malt , 25g of fuggles and 500g of dextrose

Then Coopers Stout with 500g dark malt, 300g brown sugar 300g licorice and fuggles hops ( recipe someone posted up in The recipes section)

RDO today folks so in the middle of the first mash (mini) of a double brew day! Stocks are low at the moment so first brew up is an APA (Possibly the Vic case swap brew for those in it.)

Couple of Kilos of unhopped extract
1.5Kgs Wheat Malt
0.2Kgs Medium Crystal
15g POR @ 60min
12g Amarillo @ 15min
12g Amarillo @ 5 min
20g Amarillo Dry Hopped
US56

Followed by an Aussie Ale

Couple of Kilo's unhopped extract
1 Kg Pils malt
0.5 Kg Wheat malt
0.2 Kg med Crystal
20g POR @ 60min
10g Hallertau @ 20 min
10g Hallertau @ 10 min
US56

Cheers,

JS

I know it's late but U gotta do these things when you have time...so, the wort is just starting to boil now.

In between trying to sort out a new new computer today, I double-decocted a Schlenkerla rauchbier clone.
That's 6kg of Rauchmalz and 100g dark choc grain (JW, IIRC). About 32 IBU of NZ Hallertau and a 90 min boil.
I'll no-chill it for a couple of days and then feed it to 3 litres of a ravenous Bavarian lager yeast culture.

Time to go and check on the boil and start capping bottles from a 26 lite batch of SFPA.

Beerz.
Seth out :p

BTW, I had a flex-day. That's when you get a day off for working too many hours above what you're expected to.

Well, I thought I was brewing late, but I've got nothing on your Weizness.

Just about to finish up on my Landlord clone. The colour seems very pale even though I boiled vigorously for 90 minutes and boiled down 4 litres to about 2 on the stove. Unfortunately, one of my starters was off, so no chance to compare yeasts. Burton it is.

Just about to finish up on my Landlord clone. The colour seems very pale even though I boiled vigorously for 90 minutes and boiled down 4 litres to about 2 on the stove.

Out of interest why the darkening (and caramelising?) in a Landlord clone?

Cheers Ross

Ross,

I would have thought to add body and depth to the finished beer considering it is 100% GP. My attempt with 100% MO doesn't quite have it but will try with my sack of GP next weekend. I was thinking of boiling down 2L of first runnings to 1L.

Cheers.

Brewed yesterday: Irish Red, a version of Docs Kilkenny, didn't have any carared or caraaroma so used some melanoiden instead.

Son Twist_Top is brewing an Irish Red Kilkenny clone tomorrow, his is a version of TL's Irish Red. Looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down in an attempt to beat the OM.

The hops for tomorrows brew EKG arrived bright and early this morning, thanks to Craftbrewer's next day service, fantastic. He has an Irish ale yeast starter W1084 on the bench ready and now the correct hops. I had to make do with english ale yeast and fuggles. Bring it on!

Brewed yesterday: Irish Red, a version of Docs Kilkenny, didn't have any carared or caraaroma so used some melanoiden instead.

Son Twist_Top is brewing an Irish Red Kilkenny clone tomorrow, his is a version of TL's Irish Red. Looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down in an attempt to beat the OM.

The hops for tomorrows brew EKG arrived bright and early this morning, thanks to Craftbrewer's next day service, fantastic. He has an Irish ale yeast starter W1084 on the bench ready and now the correct hops. I had to make do with english ale yeast and fuggles. Bring it on!

GREAT :) when they are ready to sample, can I be one of the judges? <_<

Ross,

I would have thought to add body and depth to the finished beer considering it is 100% GP. My attempt with 100% MO doesn't quite have it but will try with my sack of GP next weekend. I was thinking of boiling down 2L of first runnings to 1L.

Cheers.

Duff, I've never heard of this process being used in TTL, so wondering why, if you're trying to make a clone?
If a previous attempt seemed to lack these quality's over the commercial version, then would maybe make sense...Just interested, as it's a beer I'm still trying to replicate, as it's a stunning beer on draught - The bottled version I've found rather ordinary, but maybe due to age/sunstruck.

cheers Ross

GREAT :) when they are ready to sample, can I be one of the judges? <_<

No worries Bindi, should be able to have a taste off in about 3 weeks. He's keen, mine has a little dark brown sugar, he says No Way, No Sugar for his, and definitely Irish Ale Yeast.

Basically what Duff said Ross. It's just Golden Promise and going into the kettle it looked very pale. In an old thread on Landlord, Sean suggested the colour was due to a very vigorous boil, probably a long boil too. I boiled 4 litres on the stove rather than boiling it up for hours. It's not authentic I know, but I'm not actually trying to brew a perfect copy, rather trying to learn something by brewing something similar to TTL. The process should give something like the same effect. That being said, even though I boiled it for 90 with a really vigorous boil and with the stovetop reduction, the colour was too light. How did yours come out for colour Ross?

I used some nice fresh hops ;) and it tasted good going into the fermenter. Just waiting to trial the finished article now. :chug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back