What are you brewing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brewing a Russian Imperial Stout tomorrow which I'll be calling Ace of Spades in reference to the saying "Black as the Ace of Spades". I'll also be finishing my playing card logo which is written in Russian text. The grain bill is about 10kg for a 20L batch so I'll have to split the mash into two mash tuns - there's nothing like a bit of juggling to make brewday interesting! I brewed a K&K pale ale with the British Ale yeast so i can pitch onto a nice big yeast cake. The 60L fermenter will be used to prevent any Stout Houdini tricks! I'll enjoy sampling these over the next couple of years.

Depending on how the day is going I'll also do a an APA using Pilsner malt, Centennial and Cascade hops.

I've also got a Whitbread Ale yeast cake in the fridge so I'll get my brother to make his second ever K&K Toohey's Old type brew.

Have fun everyone - fingers crossed on the weather! :D

I've got me a sack of GP too, so obviously TTLL is top of the list.. i wasnt going to reduce a couple of litres for this beer, although i remember reading about it in a previous thread.
i'm going to do it for my Ruddles attempt though when i get my BramC's.. i will try this process instead of trying to find a suitable syrup.

i havent had TTLL for a while, so i better search it out for another taste, it might be easier to just add a little munich or something to get near it.

I haven't brewed anything in well over a month... But finally i will be brewing a ESB tomorrow and then brewing a Imperial Stout and dumping that onto the yeast cake of the ESB the next weekend.

How did yours come out for colour Ross?

My colour was fine when I did a side by side comparison. TTL is a very pale beer anyway, though I had added just a touch (150gm) of Fawcetts crystal to mine as I was using MO (Again not to style). The problem (if you can call it that) with mine, was I used NZ Styrian flowers, which gave it the most wonderful vanilla flavour, this dissapated in time to an equally tasty spiceyness, was like 2 different beers. I'm not sure if this is unique to the NZ hops, so doing my next one with Slo Styrian plugs when my Golden Promise arrives...

Cheers Ross

Just used 100% Golden Promise, so it came out more like the colour of a Pilsner. That seemed too light from my memory of Landlord. :blink:

landlord.jpg

Found this image and it is a light colour. I'll post a picture of my beer to compare when it's ready (as long as it comes out alright anyway. :p )

Good idea Duff, a bit of caramelisation in the kettle. If it comes to nought, then at least you got some tinker value out of it.

Ross,
Landlord a very pale beer????
If Duff didn't do what he plans I reckon he is more likely to end up with something the colour of Summer Lightning. Been there, done that.

Me - I'm thinking of perhaps a Mild or Bitter fermented with Southwold yeast.

Rgds,
Pete

Stuster - did you really have to post that pic.....I am so bloody thirsty. Thats like torture! Anyway it looks very similar to my favourite Boddingtons in colour. I have 8.3 kgs of GP on the way too :beerbang:
Cheers
Steve

Anyway it looks very similar to my favourite Boddingtons in colour.

Steve, I think Boddingtons seems a bit lighter in colour, in this picture anyway. What do you think? ;) :lol:

b27551298.jpg

AusDB did a 100% Golden Promise TTL. When we compared against the real thing there was a significant colour difference. Now, I had had a few beers at that point, but I am pretty sure it was the TTL that was a little darker.

Stuster - you rnrsole! :p
Thanks for that - very kind ;)
Cheers
Steve

The recipe I have for Boddingtons is identical to TTL except the Boddies has 28gms of Black Patent malt in it? Is this to darken it up a bit?
Cheers
Steve

Not trying to hijack the hijack ;) but I am experimenting this arvo.
4kg Pale
2kg Munich
0.75Crystal
Some Magnum and Northern Brewer FWH and challenger and EKG in the last 10min and US-56 to finish the job. This is the first brew crushed with my new home made mill and my first attempt at the "no-chill method" should be a learning experience. Currently got 40min left to mash then I'll see how good my crush was.

cheers

Browndog

Tomorrows brew will be a Lagunitas AIPA with 180g of Williamette near the end of the boil :D

Plus a Blonde Rye if I get around to it.

Ive got a Brown and a Dark Ale going right now.

Been in primary for 10 days.

Wanted them in for nine at 16-17deg including a higher temp rest for the last.

They had their rest at about 21deg and then I found out that I cant transfer them until next Monday!

Keeping them as cold as I can with ice bricks until thenhope theyll be ok :unsure:

Kegged my first true Lager last night...lookin' good.

PZ.

Yep, sorry for the OT discussion, Browndog. :unsure:

Back on topic, I'll be making a Steam beer this weekend sometime. Simple grain bill, base and some dark crystal, all Northern Brewer. Planning to pop my no chill cherry and pitch in a couple of days time when my starter's up to speed.

Just put down a weizen(AG) this morning.
Having a day off cos its our wedding anniversary(9th),so i thought I'd do a brew for the occasion.

Drop the boys off @ Nans 2 night and go out for tea.

A good day all round really.

about to sparge a double boPils. Last lager for the year.

edit - and a bloody lovely day in ADL.

Last night bottled a Belhaven partial, racked an APA partial and chucked down a ESB 3 KG APA.....and cooked dinner....and put a shelf up in my laundry/brewery. After all that I sat down to a nice Newcy Brown style ale.
Cheers :beer:
Steve

You still throwin down ye ole kits Stevo?

I've gone off them for the moment which is dangerous in case I am buggering my partials!!!!

This weekend a partial American Pale Ale.

3.6kg Ale Malt.
0.4kg Wheat Malt.
90g of Cascade
US56 dried yeast.

You still throwin down ye ole kits Stevo?

I've gone off them for the moment which is dangerous in case I am buggering my partials!!!!

This weekend a partial American Pale Ale.

3.6kg Ale Malt.
0.4kg Wheat Malt.
90g of Cascade
US56 dried yeast.

Yeah DC - its been sitting on the shelf for 3 weeks feeling very forgotten. I still love me 3kg ESB APA's. 5 mins to make, 5 days to brew, 5 days to drink :super:
Cheers
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back